The dollar stretcher

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2009, 03:51 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What are you do doing to stretch your family's dollar? Any money saving tips you can share?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

August 10th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Believe it or not, we are not eating out! That has been our Achielles (sp?) heal in personal finance forever! We have to JUST SAY NO to each other. It seems I am more adamant right now than the Farmer. He has tried to convince me a couple times to go somewhere to eat while we are out and I have been strong in saying "no, there is plenty of food at home" Now, the key is having plenty of food at home.
August 10th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That is a big one Farmerswife. We have a week spot for a quick bite to eat. We are better at times than others. It's hard living so far from town so we can't just stop by home eat and get back to our day our errands...and we live far enough away that we want to get all our running done in one trip to save on gas....so yeah...it's hard...I think we are going to have to put a cooler with pb and j sandwiches in the car.

Anyway...besides the above....we quit buying convenience foods. Making more from scratch saves a lot.

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
August 10th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
double post sorry

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
August 10th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nothing really.

August 10th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm, where does this tightwad begin?

First of all, I almost ALWAYS shop used (within reason). See, we live in a very wealthy town and the things people give away to the thrift shops is something else, still tagged, everything.

So when Korinne's gate broke, I went on over to the Goodwill and sure enough, a next to new one was there for a fraction of the price! That goes for everything though, appliances, clothing, dishes, you name it.

In grocery shopping, I almost always do generic, unless the name brand is on sale, and of course, if you see somehting on sale, STOCK UP! Big Lots too, can be a mother's best friend.

I also clip coupons, but ONLY use the ones of items I always buy. I steer away from the whole buy 4 gets one free, hello? And also, it's good to have a coupon in conjunction with htings already on sale. I find that alot with Luvs diapers (though I plan to swtich to cloth with this baby).

Also too, I do alot of casserole cooking, with the main filler of the dish being rice or pasta. That can really stretch the food budget. Also too, powered milk. Now, if you can't stand to drink it, it's still good to have it in recipes that call for milk.

One thing though, that can't be avoided at times is eating out. Dollar menu all the way baby!

Ok, I am hoping off of my soapbox now

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
August 10th, 2009, 12:20 PM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eating out is a hard one for us too. But one thing for me is just staying home! I tend to "run" a lot, run to the store (super wal-mart) which is 20 minutes away for only a few items, instead of just waiting till our next grocery shop. I spend A LOT more money this way. Also, with kids starting school this week making lunches instead of buying them, it saves $2.35 a day for my oldest daughter! That adds up! So sandwiches from home it is! Other that that I did buy cloth diapers for this baby and did good until about 2 weeks ago and I backed up on laundry and went to Pampers, so I had to buy $20 worth of diapers I shouldn't have had too! Oh well, I'll get better at it now that kids are going to school and I have more time.

I need more suggestions! Wendy, if this is your thing please do share all your tips with us!!!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

August 10th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
ok, i only have one hand as I am nak, so I will come back and post a lengthy reply later

August 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am sure all you moms probably already do this but meal planning is HUGE!

I plan mine around the sales ads and buy the items that are on sale. And like Mama Ashley said, try to avoid running to the store so much as it kills your gas. But sometimes convience cannot be avoided (I mean after a long day of errands and appointments, we all get to where we don't want to cook sometimes) so if you see those tv dinners or frozen pizzas on sale (only a really good sale as it can defeat the purpose of money stretching if it's only 10 cents less than normal), stock up and let the kids know they are only for mentioned days.

Another saver for me is shammy towels, instead of the paper towels as they are much stronger and can be reused many times. Also, the dollar store CAN be your friend, lol. Like here's the items I get at Dollar General that is great quality;

Their brand of wipes, the big pack. They smell really nice and the quality to me is no worse than huggies or pampers brands.

Stocking stuffers for the younger kids. I mean really, all stocking stuffers are is fillers so why spend a fortune when you know they are going to go for the 'real presents more

Cleaning supplies, and candles. The quality is not as good as Yankee candles but they do have a nice strong smell even if they don't last as long. Usually their brand of cleaning supplies work just as well for me (except the window cleaners).

I also save on my electric bill by barely ever turning on the lights, I will light candles first, and I purposley only have on tv in the house for that reason. Plus I let as many clothes as I can hang dry instead of using the dryer.

I also reuse tin foil, if saying it was not on anything too messy. Just wipe it off if you say, put it over a bowl of veggies or jello and reuse later.

I know, I know, ya'll probably think I am insane by now! But there are actually more things I do but I will stop boring you, hehe.

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
August 10th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
I also line dry as much as possible. It saves a lot on your electric bill. Cloth diapers save us more money than I can even imagine. I breastfeed which, again, I can't even fathom how much I would spend in formula. I unplug my kitchen appliances when I am not using them, it isn't a lot of energy, but they do continue to suck energy. Same with chargers, so I unplug 'em. Why not?

We rent DVDs at the library and get books there too. They also have museum passes which are awesome.

I buy a lot of the things I own from Craigslist and kids only consignment stores. I buy clothes on clearance at the end of season for next year. I am on freecycle.

My food budget is where I have the most fun being frugal. I rarely throw any food item out. Peaches were on sale and nobody felt like eating them anymore (I bought a lot) so I made sorbet and *poof* they were gone. Stick an overripe banana in the freezer and later make some banana bread or cookies or a smoothie. I love being creative with leftovers to make a meal new again as DH is a big baby when it comes to leftovers. Making food from scratch as much as possible is great and a real money saver too. I have already started pureeing (sp?) fruit for Clara and freezing it in ice cube trays for later. I shop sales and stock up on bargains.

I also stopped all credit card purchases in the house which is probably our biggest money improvement lately.

My biggest guilty pleasure is eating out. Wish we could get away from that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search