Vent about my daughter's camp

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2009, 04:04 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I picked up Erin on Friday from camp. She had a great time. When I picked her up I noticed she was limping and had a band aid on her big toe. She said she tripped over a stick and hurt her toe. She is a bit of a drama queen so I thought she stubbed her toe, and I assumed it had just happened. Her camp counselor mentioned that she hurt her toe on a stick. I told her it was no big deal and I said I am sure she would be fine.

Fast forward to Saturday. I notice that her band aid is coming off while we were at the pool. (Which BTW - she didn't want to swim - and she is an avid swimmer) I asked her to remove the band aid so I could get a better look at her toe. (The part I could see didn't look so good) After an hour of crying and soaking it in the baby pool, she finally got the band aid off and that's when I could see that her whole toe nail on her big toe is ripped off her toe and sticking up off the toe. I ask her if she went to the nurse at camp and she said yes. And what did she do? Just gave her a band aid and sent her back to her cabin. Upon researching further, I learned this accident happened on the second day of camp and that Erin has been limping all week because she won't put pressure on her toe!! Also, because of the nail sticking up, she couldn't get any other shoes on besides her flip flops so she didn't wear sneakers or participate in any activities that required sneakers. This went on for the week??? And I asked her if the nurse cleaned it at all and she said no. My other concern is the band aid she gave her didn't even cover the whole toe nail so it was still sticking up and could have easily caught on something and ripped the rest of the way off!

Now, the nail bed of that toe looks black and purple and not sure if it's infected or just that way from the trauma. I have to call the podiatrist today to get her seen, and I am sure that nail is going to have to come off.

I am a little upset with the camp for not treating her toe properly, for not even worrying why a 9 year old would be limping for the week and not research it further, and never even being notified of this type of injury. I sent the camp director a letter yesterday.

But - in spite of the toe - she still had a great time at camp. LOL

Thanks for reading if you got this far!!!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

August 10th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, my! That does sound a bit worse than a band aid! Maybe a trip to the walk in clinic would have been in order! I can't stand oogie things like that. I am cringing just sitting here. Thanks for sharing!
August 10th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's awful! I hope it's okay. I would definitely get it looked at.

August 10th, 2009, 11:34 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
UPDATE!!!

I got her in to the podiatrist and guess what??? He had to remove the toenail. Blech. He cleaned it and numbed her foot (that part she really didn't like!!) and cut the toenail off the toe. EWWW! He wants to check it in 2 weeks.

But, now it should start to heal and feel better.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

August 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
So, about camp nurses. I was offered a job as a camp nurse once. The only qualifications was taking a first aid and cpr class and they told me I would jjust dispense ice packs and bandaids. I did not take the job and was AMAZED at how little you had to be trained.

That aside, I hope your daughter starts to feel better. That sounds terrible

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search