routine

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Tomorrow starts a whole new chapter in our lives as my daughter goes off to her first day of kindergarten.
I'm wanting some suggestions for the morning routine. We have 5 kids total so we have 4 younger ones that will be wanting attention in the morning while Briana is getting ready for school. I go to work EARLY in the morn and my DH will be the one to get up with her and get her off to school.

Right now, his morning consists of something like this:

3yr and 1 1/2 yr old wake up about 7:00AM
4 yr old shortly after.
I think DH probably changes diapers and puts them in the gated toy room w/cartoons and toys to play with while he goes and sleeps just a bit more.
baby is fussy/talkative/needy possibly during all that ??
5yr old (kindergartener) usually doesn't start rolling out of bed until close to 9 or sometimes later

so...
obviously we need to get Briana up earlier for school - as early as probably 6:45/7.

any suggestions about how to make this transition smooth for everyone involved? DH will be soooo tired and possibly pretty crabby. He is NOT a morning person and he's definitely not a fast mover in the morning. I'm so worried she's going to be late for school often.

oh, did I mention that eventually when we get our van, he'll be taking her and all the kids 1/2 a mile to school?! oh, yeah...no bus service at our school.
and no one to take her to school except my Mom but I dn't want to inconvenience her too much....another topic for another time.

TIA for smooth routine suggestions

Mommy to Briana - 10, Laura - 9, Kainan - 8, Sara - 6 1/2 , Andrew - 4 1/2 and Nathan - 2

I Love Yoli ! Ask Me Why!!!

August 16th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What is her bed time? I would get her in bed by around 7:30 or 8....no later so that she can get plenty of sleep so her brain is rested...

What time does your school start? I'd start by having her wake up and then allowing her to slowly wake up by watching some cartoons or whatever she usually does in the mornings....maybe even serve some breakfast at this point....or let her wake then have her join you in the dining room to eat if you dont allow food out of there. Then once she's fed and has woken up some....I think I'd have her get her other morning routine stuff done...dressed, potty (again so that she's ready for the day), brush teeth, get shoes on, get back pack and set it by the door...etc.....

Just ideas....we homeschool so this isn't what our mornings look like....but this is something like I think it'd go.

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
August 16th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
I think for DH the change would be getting any extra shut eye after the diapers are changed

I'd say she needs to be woken up about an hour before she leaves so she has plenty of time to eat, wash up and get dressed.

To help dad just make sure her outfits are ready, her backpack is ready and her lunch bag/snack bag is packed and ready to go the night before.

Since she starts school next year, this suggestion won't help this year but if you remember next year I HIGHLY recommend getting used to the early hours the week before school. A week before school starts we start to fall into our school time routine in terms of waking up, eating, washing up and getting dressed in the am so the first day of school isn't such a shock to our system. (as we have quite a few days that don't really get going until 10 during the summer )

GL with your LO tomorrow though!!!!!

August 16th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have everything ready the night before. Wake her up about an hour before school and see how things go. She may need more or less time.

As far as DH. Does he drink coffee? You could prep some the night before and then he could just turn it on in the morning. Might help. Make sure all the little ones are in PJs every night so he just has to change diapers and put them in the car. He can dress them for the day when he's more awake. He should try to get to bed as early as he can on school nights so he's well rested in the morning.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search