Many passengers - what would you do?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies.
we have 5 kids. 1 goes to kindergarten as you may have read about in a previous post.
We currently have no van. (but we will be getting one eventually).
Until we have a van my Mom said she will come a little out of her way each day and take her to school before heading off to work.
I think it's incredibly nice of her to offer but don't want to take advantage of her or inconvenience her so much.

We know no one in the neighborhood and they don't have bussing for our school. We live only a 1/2 mile from the school but we live right by a busy intersection that is too dangerous for her to cross and walk to school on her own.

My DH is dreading having a van and having to put all 5 kids in the van at 7:40am every morning to only travel a 1/2 mile and then have to unload them again when they get home 10 minutes later.

what would you do? I work early mornings...

Mommy to Briana - 10, Laura - 9, Kainan - 8, Sara - 6 1/2 , Andrew - 4 1/2 and Nathan - 2

I Love Yoli ! Ask Me Why!!!

August 16th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Papasgirl's Avatar Down Syndrome Pregnancy
Hi there.
I have four and trying for number 5. My kids are ages 4, 6, 7, and 8 so that is Pre-K, grades 1, 2, and 3. I do have a Honda Odyssey. It has 102,000+ miles on it and still runs ok, a little loud, but it works. You really need a van. If I were in your position, I would try letting your Mom take the little one to school and see how it goes. Otherwise, the only safe option would be to have your hubby take her. Yes I agree it is a pain to load em all up just to go 1/2 mile and then unload em when you get there and then load em all up again to go home. When mine were smaller I would put the three littlest ones in the car in their pj's. They don't have to be dressed and ready to go. That is way too much stress. Do it when they come home from school drop off. It is difficult but it becomes easier as you go along. I hope it all works for you. Try not to stress too much.
August 16th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hugs. We have a 15 pass van...big ole ugly thing...but it drives nice and everyone fits comfortably...with room for growth LOL....(lots of room)...

Anyway....I agree....I'd leave the littles in PJ's until your husband got home and then they can get ready for the rest of their day.

I'm thinking if I were you...I'd take my mom's offer for now....and play it by ear after that

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
August 16th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Mommy to Many
We had a similar issue two years ago when my twins were in kindergarten. My mom picked up them up on her way home, DH or I would have to drop them off. We would have one of the neighbor girls come over to stay with the kids while we did the drop off; she would come over and finish her homework or eat her Toaster Struedal/bowl of oatmeal and by the time she was done we would be back, and then neighbor would catch HER bus outside our house. Can you arrange anything like that? I second the need for a van. It's a good thing. We got ours by October of that year.
August 16th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
In the beginning of the school year we usually have open house and a big school wide picnic which is a great way to meet other parents. Maybe someone goes by your house on the way to school and would be willing to pick dd up at your house. It's worth a shot. I also like the suggestion to see if a neighbor can pop over and watch them for a few while DH drops dd off.

Good thing mom can help until then And I also recommend the Honda Odyssey. We have one now and LOVE it, especially after the Ford Windstar. I do NOT recommend those.

August 16th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Homeschool.
August 16th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You could homeschool.

What about a SUV instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJessie View Post
We have one now and LOVE it, especially after the Ford Windstar. I do NOT recommend those.
My last vehicle was a Ford Windstar. I loved it at the time, and it never gave me trouble.

I drive a Navigator now. Only seats 8 but we rarely all go out at the same time anyway.

Last edited by Kierasmom; August 16th, 2009 at 07:24 PM.
August 17th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerswife View Post
Homeschool.

My DH prefers this. I would be up for it but with all the different ages it would be difficult I think to keep the younger ones entertained. PLUS, we still live in an apartment for now and we have very little space or good accommodations for schooling. I think it would be great but we've made the decision to school now and maybe we'll decide next year to keep them home.
Until then, we are definitely getting a van it's just going to take time.
I did get someone agree to help pick her up on rainy days and stuff when I can't take the kids out for a walk to get her.

Mommy to Briana - 10, Laura - 9, Kainan - 8, Sara - 6 1/2 , Andrew - 4 1/2 and Nathan - 2

I Love Yoli ! Ask Me Why!!!

August 17th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Mommy to Many
I want to homeschool this year. DH is 100% opposed. It frustrates me since I think, no I KNOW, it's the best fit for my family at this point in time. But I digress... I'm glad you have a rainy day plan. That makes it a little less stressful, no?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search