Weekend Wisdom

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
What's the best child rearing advice you ever received?

Mine is a classic, but for good reason. "Pick your battles" is something I remind myself of when dealing with my pre-teen.

September 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine would be first-time obedience. It is a lot of work to teach at first but in the long run it is easier and might save your child's life (as it has some of my own dc).

Also missing 11 precious little ones here with us but for a moment.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.
September 12th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJessie View Post
What's the best child rearing advice you ever received?

Mine is a classic, but for good reason. "Pick your battles" is something I remind myself of when dealing with my pre-teen.

I really like this one Jessie, esp when dealing with my teens!

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
September 13th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poop is always funny.
September 13th, 2009, 08:26 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerswife View Post
Poop is always funny.

LOL...that is funny.

My mantra has always been - "and this too shall pass.....and this too shall pass"

Sometimes I have to repeat it over and over to actually believe it. LOL

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

September 13th, 2009, 02:01 PM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Don't ever expect everything to go perfectly, you need to bend and do things you never thought you could/would..

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

September 13th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Mom View Post
Mine would be first-time obedience. It is a lot of work to teach at first but in the long run it is easier and might save your child's life (as it has some of my own dc).
What is that?

September 13th, 2009, 08:59 PM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Mom [IMG]/justmommies/vb/images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG] (Weekend Wisdom)

What is that?
First-time obedience for us is obeying without question or hesitation; questions can be asked later but obeying happens immediately. Specifically our dc are taught to come when they are called unless there is a bone sticking out or blood gushing. If we say, "Freeze!" they do just that - not one more step taken (this training came after an incident w/a 4yo at the Grand Canyon whose dad told her to not move...she moved ).

Here's a chilling example of when first-time obedience may have saved one of my dc's lives: we were on a bike ride and my then 3yo was heading down a small hill and for some reason was unable to stop. My 9yos was at the bottom of the hill facing away from us. I shouted, "Tyler, turn around NOW!". He didn't ask why, he immediately turned his bike and was able to put his arm out and stop his sister who was headed toward a street with some nasty rocks on the other side that would have stopped her instead.

Another incident happened just last week when I noticed to HUGE pit bulls heading across our yard and toward our side gate (which was open). As I was heading out the front door to head them off I yelled for the dc (who were on the back porch) to come inside. All 7 of them were inside within seconds which was good since the dogs made it into the backyard (they were friendly as could be but I still don't trust strange dogs).

So anyway, that's what first-time obedience is.

Quote:
My mantra has always been - "and this too shall pass.....and this too shall pass"

lol, this was what I kept chanting to myself during one of my labors.

Also missing 11 precious little ones here with us but for a moment.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search