Here to ask the pros :)

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to joyfulmomma
Hi ladies, We're about to welcome baby number 2 into our family. The boys will share a room, and I'm just wondering, how does that go for you for both kids sleeping through the night? My oldest (20 months) STTN often, but not all the time. I'm planning to help this little one develop better STTN habits, by at least 4 months. Are there any tricks to making naptime and bedtime easier? Thanks!

September 14th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I found my older kids just got used to and slept through any crying. Since they don't have to do anything about it, they learned to ignore it. So, let #2 cry himself to sleep. #1 will get used to it. You just have to put #1 back to bed over and over until he stops getting up. Don't reward him in anyway for getting up, no bottle, no nursing, no snuggling up in bed with you. Constant returning him to bed and not saying anything. You will get there.
September 14th, 2009, 09:26 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with farmerswife. I also played music (soft music or lullabye's) in the boys room when my youngest was a baby. It helps to drown out any background noise too.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

September 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So what you're saying is, for awhile, there will be a lot of crying. ....Both of them, and me.

September 14th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Yes. But a little crying never hurt anyone. You have to be tougher than a 2 yo! Be the MOM!!!
September 14th, 2009, 05:24 PM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
It won't last forever. Better start it right off the bat rather than later down the road.

September 14th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
See I started mine out in my room....and once they got to STTN I put them in with the older kids.

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
September 14th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerswife View Post
Yes. But a little crying never hurt anyone. You have to be tougher than a 2 yo! Be the MOM!!!
Indeed. I wasn't tough enough about STTN with my little guy now; I'm determined to do better with #2! BTW, when they hit teething or they're sick, how do you deal with that as far as sleep disturbance?

September 14th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Pick them up and hug them....

I have done CIO with a couple of my kids....I havne't done it with Olive. My parenting views have changed. I dont judge anyone that does things differently than me...but I dont do the CIO thing.

A book I hear recommended A LOT is "The No Cry Sleep Solution" I dont know the author BUT it might be somethign worth looking in to. I've never read it but I hear a lot of people that swear by it.

Olive is in our bed, so when she wakes...I nurse her back to sleep quickly...we are both back out in under 5 minutes LOL...it works for us...Good luck!

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
September 15th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulmomma View Post
Indeed. I wasn't tough enough about STTN with my little guy now; I'm determined to do better with #2! BTW, when they hit teething or they're sick, how do you deal with that as far as sleep disturbance?
Teething never bothered mine, so I have nothing for you there. Sick is a whole nother story. If they wake with fever or throwing up or whatever, you do what it takes to comfort them. Usually one of us cleans up any mess while the other cleans up the kid and snuggles him. Again, I don't take them into my bed, I will snuggle on the couch or chair. Then after a little while, I put him back to bed. On those nights that it happens over and over, we do it over and over. But that is rare.
September 15th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My older two share and they love it. I also kept the baby in my room until they were pretty much sleeping through the night, and then moved them in. Now that they are used to sharing I don't find that they wake each other up...I think it has made them heavier sleepers.
September 15th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Veteran
I also kept all my kids in the room with me till they could STTN. After they started sharing I had no problems. I think all my kids are heavy sleepers though. If one cried none of the others would wake up.
September 15th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the insight mamas!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search