Baby Has MONSTER HIVES! *UPDATED*

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 14th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just before lunch today I noticed that Izzy had some red splotches on her cheeks and chin (hmm...odd). Then when I went to put her in her high chair I noticed her entire neck was bright red (ok...this is not right). So I stripped her down to find HUGE raised red "areas" (most are way to big to be considered bumps) ALL over her precious little body !!!

One spot covers her entire abdomen, she has one under each arm pit that stretchs over to her nipple area on both sides, the one thats all away around her neck, and one on the inside of each leg that stretches down the length of her legs. Those are just the enormous looking ones. She has several other smaller "normal-looking" hives on her face, arms, legs, and back.

I just don't know what to do . We've already put a call in for the pedi, talked to the nurse and she said she'd have the Dr give us a call. We're still waiting for her to call!!! I want to take her to the ER but Dh won't let me because he said that the risk of what she could be exposed to outweighs that benefits of what they can do for hives. AAAARRRGGHHH!!! (Curse you H1N1 )

What can I do for her???? She looks soooo awful, still adorable, but just awful

------------------------------------------------------------------
Well when Izzy woke up from her late nap at about 6:30ish tonight things had gotten WAY worse. Her poor little face was completely swollen!!! Her ears, her nose, everything! Her left eye was nearly swollen shut and I FREAKED.....I kept thinking what if the same thing is going on w/ her throat. Thankfully dh had already bought the children's benadryl you wonderful ladies had suggested (we just didn't want to wake her up to take it earlier *should have*) so we immediately gave her a dose and decided to go ahead and take her to the ER (I just couldn't get the image of her throat swelling shut like her eye out of my head ). By the time we got to the ER she already looked better (to us) but other people were freaking out it (that's how bad she looked). They were pretty quick to look her over and assured me that her throat was fine and there was no risk of her airway being closed off *sigh of relief*. They gave her prednisone and told us to keep giving her the benedryl. Still no answers on what caused this, I can't think of a thing that we have done differently. But they warned us that it's very possible the hives will last for several days and possibly get worse before they get better. I cannot imagine it being any worse than it was tonight. She looked just like Will Smith in that movie Hitch!!! (No joke)

She's sooo much better now. Still a little swollen around the eyes but the blazing redness is gone and she seems comfortable.

Thank you soooo much farmerswife and KRAZE for letting us know about the benadryl and what kind to get. The nurse and the dr kept saying how glad they were that we had given it to her before we left (they just couldn't believe that she had been worse prior to benadryl).

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

Last edited by Momtothe6thpower; December 14th, 2009 at 10:15 PM.
December 14th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK. Don't panic. What have you fed her lately? Check the dosing on benadryl and give her some of that. But then watch for a reaction to that (rare, but happens). Has she eaten chocolate? How old is she? Vaccines lately? Do not give oral benadryl and topical.

I get hives all the time.
December 14th, 2009, 03:49 PM
CRAP! We just put Cortizone cream on her 30 mins ago (Dr never called ). Will it hurt her???

She's almost 12 months (12-22-08). No chocolate, She's only had 1 set of vaccines at 6 months, and she hasn't ate anything that she hasn't had before. For breakfast she had cheerios and milk (dh said he may have grabbed 2% instead of whole milk but he's not sure).

We don't have any benadryl. What kind do we need to buy?

When I'm Due...

December 14th, 2009, 04:29 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
I have always used benadryl with the kids, this is what you are looking for:

Regular

And Dye-Free:

I should be given based on weight not age so here is the info:

Regular & Dye Free

Every 4-6 hours - 4-11 mos - 12-17 lbs - ¼ tsp
Every 4-6 hours - 12-23 mos - 18-23 lbs - ½ tsp

EDIT: Calamine lotion can be brilliant for the itchies as well, but Benadryl usually does the trick.

December 14th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Thank you! Sending hubby out now!

Does anyone know how long hives last? It's been about 6 hours and the spots/splotches/massive areas of redness are still there

She doesn't seem bothered by them though.

When I'm Due...

December 14th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Did you get the baby benadryl? They should be gone a little while after taking it. How is she now?
December 14th, 2009, 05:59 PM
wait. i just thought of something. did she have an unexplained fever in the last 3-5 days? could be roseola. look it up on google. it is completely harmless and the spots will go awway over a few days.
December 14th, 2009, 07:58 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
poor baby! i hope the benadryl helped!

Survivor Mom - My Blog

December 15th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
How scary for you, I am so happy the benadryl helped. Hope she gets all better soon.
December 15th, 2009, 10:29 AM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
Glad that she's doing better! It certainly is scary no doubt about that.

I first discovered my allergy to BUBBLE BATH with a serious case of hives.. blah!

Hopefully you will be able to figure out what might have caused them.

December 15th, 2009, 11:06 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Glad she is feeling better, hopefully she'll be all better very soon!! I always have Benadryl on hand, never know when you might need it. My oldest son used to get weird reactions to everything.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
December 15th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
Poor baby! Glad she's starting to get better.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search