Migraines and being a bad mommy

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2010, 06:10 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you ever get migraines? Do you ever get anything that accompanies them? (vomiting, etc)

I have never really had one. Now I will explain my bad mommy moment....

Kelsey started telling me that her vision was blurry/spotted on Sunday late afternoon. She had been typing a research paper all day, so I told her to get away from the computer for a while. Then a little while later, she said her arms and legs felt numb and she was getting a headache. I kind of dismissed those "symptoms" too. She then started saying that she didn't feel good. Now, it's Sunday night. She has two papers and two tests the next day, the Christmas break is over, and she is good at trying to get out of school. What am I supposed to think?? It's like the boy who cried wolf. KWIM? Then her vomiting starts, (which I know she is not faking) and she starts acting weird (talking incoherently, etc) and I still think she is being overly dramatic. Aren't all 15 year old girls??? Dh is a panicker and wants to take her to the ER. I don't - after all it's ONLY a headache. (she didn't have a fever) I do break down and call the doc at 10:00 pm (got the on call doc - not our doctor) who just says to give her a tylenol (which she didn't keep down) but we can take her to the ER if we want. Didn't sound urgent so I don't take her and follow up with her doctor on Monday.

Turns out....none of her symptoms were fake. The doc thinks it was an atypical migraine. Made more sever by the vision issues, slowed brain activity, and numbness. Apparently very serious. She said if I had asked Kelsey her address or phone number she wouln't have been able to say them. She probably had low blood pressure too. If it ever happens in the future - she is to go to the nearest ER to be evaluated immediately and given medication through IV. Now I am a bad mommy.

She has never had a headache issue. Now her doc wants an MRI and her to see a neurologist to see why this would come out of nowhere. Need to make sure that they aren't missing something. I had to let her teachers know that if she starts experiencing any symptoms like vision issues or numbness she is to go to the nurse immediately and take ibuprofen and lay down. If that doesn't stop a migraine I have to bring her a pain med/sedative/migraine med that she prescribed her and take her home. If that doesn't work - off to ER.

I am the worst mom ever.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

January 6th, 2010, 06:35 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Oh no. Thats scary. I probably would have reacted like you too. I have a tendency to think the kids overdo their symptoms when "sick". I hate rushing off to docs or ER's "knowing" it will be nothing.

At least you know now she was for real and you can deal with the headaches. Is she feeling better now?
#12 is on the way
January 6th, 2010, 06:56 AM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
I actually experienced that myself first hand when I was 22, it was out of no where. The hospital was thinking either a brain aneurysm or meningitis. I had an MRI and I was kept overnight under observation high on Morphine until the neurologist could arrive the next day.

I still get (maybe once a month) a hard hitting headache and immediately head to the shower to stand under hot water (as hot as I can handle) and force myself to vomit - then 400mg of Advil - Tylenol does NOTHING for me, I had to stop taking them when 1500mg at a time was not helping.

Unless you've gone through it, it's not so easy to be certain that it's serious, so don't feel like you failed as a parent. Kids weren't born with instruction manuals.

January 6th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
poor kiddo and poor mommy. Dont beat yourself up. Tessa, my fibber, has been sent to school only to puke there b/c I thought she was exaggerating about how she felt (and then it turne dout she had the swine flu and we ALL got it, gah!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search