Think wayyyy back to your first baby

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2010, 06:13 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What was an item that you got as a gift or wanted - and never used? What items for a baby do you think are a waste of money?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

January 8th, 2010, 07:49 AM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Changing table, never used it. I change them where ever I am which most of the time is on the living room floor

January 8th, 2010, 08:14 AM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
Wow, many things actually - tons of clothes & shoes.

My first baby grew like a weed! He was 8lbs 5oz at birth & 19.5 inches long then...
- 2 months: 15.8 lbs, 23.5 inches long
- 4 months: 20.8 lbs, 26.5 inches long
- 6 months: 23.10 lbs, 29 inches long
- 1 year: 27 lbs, 31 inches long

He's now 15, about 5ft 9, mens size 11 shoes, mens 38 waist jeans..
Nearly every piece of clothing I got from my shower went unused until my daughter was born (I don't care what colour the onesies were, they got used lol)

January 8th, 2010, 09:04 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
plenty of junk went unused, I never really used all that really cute crib bedding you just "have to have". Bottle warmers, diaper wipe warmers, those triangle shaped baby positioners.

I am a true baby minimalist now. As long as I have diapers, some clothing, a few blankets a bassinet and a sling I am good. Oh and a car seat for car trips.
#12 is on the way
January 8th, 2010, 11:50 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
one thing I thought was helpful was stocking up on newborn diapers. Those cute little newborn ones. My son was 8 lbs 11oz and the diapers didn't fit right and he kept peeing out over the top of them. We needed the next size iinstantly. LOL My youngest was very long and the newborn diapers were too short for him too and he peed over the top too. What a waste. LOL

Another thing I never used was those mitten things to keep babies from scratching themselves. I never even opened them.

Never had a changing table - but I agree that I wouldn't use one. Just more furniture.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

January 8th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree w/ not needing a changing table or lots of NB sz diapers and clothes.

The fisher price gentle glide is a waste of money (mines been used twice I think) and I've never really been a fan of the Bumbo even though others swear by it.
January 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My kids were 9lbs 10 ozs, 7lbs 9oz, and 7 klbs 15 oz and the bigger one was in newborn diapers and outfits for a mionth, and the lil ones were in preemie diapers and outfits for a month and newborn to almost 3 months!

Now to answer the question! I just HAD to have the diaper genie! I used it once and when it got full that first time uising it, emptying that thing was HORRIBLE, it stank soooo bad!

January 8th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't even want newborn size diapers. Mine are in 1s out of the shoot and in 2s in a few weeks. Diapers and wipes are great gifts though.

For #1 I got a wipe warmer. I thought it was a good idea at the time, but soon learned it was stupid and dried out the wipes! I got a diaper genie, but had the foresight to take it back. I never wanted or got the special crib bedding. I am very minimalist now. But it seems like I packed up the car to go visit a friend today!

I do like these Bumbo seats. AWESOME portable highchair!
January 8th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerswife View Post
I do like these Bumbo seats. AWESOME portable highchair!
See, I'm the only one that doesn't like them, LOL! I'm weird like that though. For example, I loved my boppy w/ #2, hated it w/ #3 and #4, and then loved it again w/ #5 . Maybe it depends on the baby.
January 9th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i LOVE my changing table- LOVE IT. It's located in my master bathroom which is central in the house so I use it all the time. In our last house, i moved it into the living room

I find the little baby bathtubs to be a wasteful PITA. Hard to store & awkward to use. I just bought the $6 frame with netty fabric stretched over it worked WAY better and i only use that if The Hubster isnt home. If he's home baby just bathes with me

January 9th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
i LOVE my changing table- LOVE IT. It's located in my master bathroom which is central in the house so I use it all the time. In our last house, i moved it into the living room

I find the little baby bathtubs to be a wasteful PITA. Hard to store & awkward to use. I just bought the $6 frame with netty fabric stretched over it worked WAY better and i only use that if The Hubster isnt home. If he's home baby just bathes with me
Agree on the tubs. I had a pretty good one with #2-4, but then someone scraped up all the foam insert. It lived in the garage when not in use. With #5-7, I had a nice tub sponge that you lay the baby on. I like that a lot, but realized it just isn't necessary to save and the pieces of foam were coming off. If you have a septic tank, you know this could be a problem. So now I just fold a towel in forths, lay it in the tub, and voila! Baby bath! She loves to kick in it! Then throw it in the wash with all the other towels. I only give her a bath once a week or so anyway. Bathing the baby often went out with #3.
January 9th, 2010, 03:24 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I have never even had a Bumbo or a changing table. I agree about the baby bathtubs, I just take my babies in the shower with me or bathe them in the kitchen sink.
Newborn diapers are a waste of time, especially when they are coming out the shoot weighing 11 1/2 lbs.
I never got the point of a Boppy either.
#12 is on the way
January 9th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
I agree with most things here, I did use the changing table as a changing table for #1,2 and 3 with # 4,5,6 and 7 I use it for the clothes storage I have baskets that I put on the shelves right now it is also the tv stand for our master bedroom lol.

never owned a bumbo, I never really used a crib either, I haven't even set it up as a crib for #4 on up.

I had to have the diaper genie too and I agree it totally sucked.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

January 11th, 2010, 07:46 AM
momoftwinsand1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My babies wore nb diapers forever!

Let see a waste was defintley the diaper pail, I take diapers out straight to the trash. I have never even owne a baby tub, I just use the sink or the tub.
John Allen 4-4-06, VBAC 6 pounds 2 ounces 19 inches long
Paige Belle 5-21-07, VBAC 5 pounds 9 ounces 17 inches
Ava Marie 2-28-09, VBAC 5 pounds 10 ounces,16 1/2 inches
Jackson Douglas 2-13-13, VBAC 6 pounds 5 ounces, 19 inches

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search