Hot topic: Saturday

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2010, 06:32 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you think parents are to blame for obese children?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

April 17th, 2010, 06:35 AM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, for a large part. Granted, genetics play some role and you can't blame anyone for that, but food choices are the main reason. If you teach children to make healthy food choices when they're young, you're helping them out for life.
April 17th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
And letting them sit around playing video games or watching TV after school/nights/weekends doesn't help. They sit in school all day. I have to say there aren't a lot of fat homeschooled kids. There are some, and the moms are a different story, but the kids are rails!
April 17th, 2010, 07:21 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I'd say yes, but not after having Elijaah. He is heavy, and it isn't for lack of trying on my part. He was a normal sized baby/toddler and then got big. He is active, plays outside, rides bikes, we go for walks. He has a different metabolism from his bro's/sisters (lucky him, guess he got mine). He is just a bigger kid. We have made a lot of food changes, I watch what he eats and how much. It's hard. We had to make changes for the whole family. I even keep all snack foods and "junk" in a drawer upstairs so the kids can't just smash through it. I buy diet pop, juices, and flavored waters. I keep fruits and veggies available.

So in some cases it may be the parent(s), but I am not one of those parents letting him eat whole pizzas or three helpings of dinner.

Of all my kids, only Elijaah is heavier.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!

Last edited by UrbanMomma; April 17th, 2010 at 07:26 AM.
April 17th, 2010, 07:24 AM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd say in most cases yes. Especially when they are obese as very young kids. I think there are exceptions but they are not the norm. Most obesity is caused by lifestyle choices and the parents are the ones who choose the child's lifestyle

[
April 17th, 2010, 07:58 AM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Most of the time yes. If you dont have junk food in the house the kids wont eat it. My 1st is a little on the heavy side, hes 4 and 47 pounds but hes big boned and gets the chubbyness from his father, he rarly get junk food.

April 17th, 2010, 11:17 AM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For the most part yes, but some kids just have slow metabolism and they can't help that...

I don't think there is anything wrong with a little chubbiness, most kids will grow out of it if given proper food choices and activities. Now if we're talking about a 100 lb 5 yr old that's way different, unless there is a medical reason for it....

My youngest, according to some the screening guidelines (rediculous IMO) was considered an obesity risk at 5 b/c he was kinda on the short side and weighed 52 lbs. He is pretty solid and weighed 9.14 at birth, he's not fat by any means, he's just a big kid. Now he has finally started getting a little height, LOL, so his height and weight are more in proportion...

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

April 17th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Barring underlying health issues then I say yes. I don't think we are all meant to be the same size, and that goes for children as well, but I don't think it is normal or healthy to let your children get very large. I see some kids that are Beth and Matt's age who are already overweight and it makes me feel sorry for them....if they already have weight issues at five years old I feel like they always will.
April 17th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes -- for morbidly obese children the parents are definitely to blame.

UM, in Elijaah's case, I just see a bigger boy that's going to grow up to be a built man. Sounds like your doing a good job!

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

April 17th, 2010, 05:03 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I am going to start walking the 1.3 mile track around the park near our housewith Elijaah once the baby is born. I need to lose some weight and I want to help Elijaah get some more exercise. He is bigger, but not out of control.

I think he needs some encouragement, not to be put down or harassed because he is bigger. I talk to him about healthy eating, no food is banned from our house, because I think that creates temptation and then binging (sp?). I just try to instill in him that everything needs to be in moderation and while there is nothing wrong with occasional treats, cake and ice cream shouldn't be breakfast though...ya know what I mean.

I was thinking about Weight Watchers, I guess 10 and up can join too. We could try it together.

Regardless, it's hard to be overweight, I want to help him, but we don't focus on it all the time. He is an awesome kid with a great personality and a sweet heart.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
April 18th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think its a combination of genetics, poor diet, sedentary lifestyle, and often emotional issues and coping, I guess dh and I were "lucky" enough to inherit all four, so we're trying to feed our children healthier and live an active lifestyle.

Lucky mother to five!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search