Grocery shopping

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2010, 12:33 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you go by yourself or with SO and either way how many dc do you take with you?
How well do they do?
April 18th, 2010, 12:55 PM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do one BIG grocery shop a month on 15% off Tuesday and don't take any of the kids. I get all the boxed/canned stuff and meats then.

Once a week I do a small grocery shop and get milk/yogourt/bread/fruit/veg. I go on the weekend when DH is off so either go alone or take one or both of the girls, just depends on what we have going on.

Once during the week we usually also need to go get some more fresh fruit which is a really quick trip that I take all 3 with me.
April 18th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Usually I go by myself because it's easier to get it done quickly and the kids don't care about going. Sometimes one of the older ones will go with me to help out.

April 18th, 2010, 01:13 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
If I am going "big" grocery shopping then I take the older kids with me to help push carts. It usually takes 2-3 carts to get our big shopping done. Of course I almost always have the lil ones with me and it's not unusual to have them all with me. They do just fine, I give them mini lists of things they are "responsible" for getting while we are at the store. They get excited when we get to an aisle that has something on their list.
#12 is on the way
April 18th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
dh and I try to go together and each take two kids in a cart. Yesterday I took them all to the new grocery store by myself, it wasn't too bad. I had two babies in the seats, E was in the top basket, and Nolan sat in the big bottom basket and walked when it got full.
April 18th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since I've been taking a class on campus this semester I've been doing my grocery shopping twice a week right after I get out of school so that I can get in and get out quickly.
April 18th, 2010, 04:51 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
for quick trips it is usually just me or me and DH. For our real grocery trip- the Walmart is 40 miles away- we go all together. The kids behave great b/c they know the rules and the consequences. The bigger kids help keep the little kids in line.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 18th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
we try to go at night after the kids have gone to bed (my brother lives with us and watches them). there are times though that i end up going by myself with the kids and they do great. we have a "pow wow" in the car before we go in and they are wonderful afterwards.

April 18th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I either go by myself with all three, or dh and I go on the weekend with all three. I get the double car-cart and Matt and Carrie ride and Beth has her own grocery list and helps me out. Carrie hates the store and cries, but the other two do fine. When the baby is born I guess I will put her in the sling and keep the other three as they are. Then when she is bigger Matt will have to walk too, and that might not go as well. He and Carrie would rather walk now really, but it's just too much for me to have all three loose. Normal stores are fine, but the commissary is always crazy busy and I feel like they step in people's way.
April 18th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For big orders I go by myself. I have taken all 3 a bunch of times (haven't done all 4 just yet). Reagan does great. Riley hates sitting in the shopping cart and she doesn't do real well walking beside me just yet, plus she needs to be confined so I can concentrate on Nathan. Nathan is the worst. Anything can set him off into tantrums and he usually tantrums for a good 2/3rds of our trips. Have I ever mentioned how much I HATE autism sometimes?

Gerber Juice Treats get me through my shopping trips. I don't think I could do it without them LOL!

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

April 19th, 2010, 06:17 AM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Its always different. If hes hom from work and I need to go we both go with all 3 kids. If not I go. SOmetimes I go with 4 (babysitting my sisters stepson) sometimes I go with my 3. Sometimes my 2 cuase RIckys at school. Sometimes my mom watches 2 and I take Javier. So it all depends!

And somedays that they all go they are great other days I act like someone elses kids are following me, lol.

April 19th, 2010, 07:08 AM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I usually try to go by myself or SO goes by himself...

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

April 19th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I hate going by myself! I don't know why, because it would certainly be easier.
April 19th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It happens occasionally that they're all with me, but mostly I go alone, just the way I like it, even when they were younger I went with as few as possible, mostly just the baby.
I didn't take my youngest for years, she was horrible, I have talked about her determination before, so I would avoid taking her unless absolutely neccesary. She's fine now though, phew.
April 19th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
For the big once a week shopping trip I wait until the kids have all their jammies on and have eaten and are an hour away from going to bed and then daddy watches them and I go alone. For the smaller in between trips that always become necessary, I take all 3 kids with me and we have a talk before we go in anywhere. I've never had a problem with them acting up in public until just this past Friday when Noah threw an out and out tantrum in the middle of the grocery store.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

April 19th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
either dh and i will go with all four or I will go alone with all four. If I go to the small one here in town the big kids each get a kids cart to push and fill and I use my big cart....I go when it's not very busy so that they dont run over anyone with their carts....it works out ok. Otherwise I go to the big store in the next town over (my preference) and they all just hover around. I dont get the car carts anymore as they fight over who sits where...so never again! LOL

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search