My first rude comment

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was at Target the other night to buy some bottles that I had forgotten earlier in the day, and my bank card didn't work. I had done a LOT of shopping that day, and the bank shut my card off because they thought someone stole my card(we switched banks a few months ago and they haven't gotten used to my shopping habits yet, lol). I told the cashier that the bank gets funny when I spend more than a grand in a day(even though I spent no where near my balance). She says jokingly that she doesn't ever have that problem. I didn't want to sound like a snot, so I explained to her that I have 9 kids and it was my grocery/restock day, and I had bought the kids some clothes and shoes at the outlet center. While I wrote a check, she said 'You have 9 kids, congrats, that's great'. There was another Target employee behind us(Christian was with me) and she said 'Wow, 9 kids, don't you know what causes that by now' in a rude tone. I looked at her(in shock), and said 'don't you think that was rude'. She must have felt embarrassed because she tried to say something to make it better but I rolled my eyes and walked off after I got my receipt.

I'm not even sure what to say to something like that in the future. I'm usually a fireball so I was proud of myself for keeping my cool. I'm sure I will get a lot more comments like that when strangers find out that we're having #10. People that actually know us think it's great.

No one else is paying for my kids, or taking care of my kids. They are well fed, clothed, and loved. Why is it okay to be rude to someone for having a large family?

Thanks for listening to me vent.

Last edited by Kierasmom; April 18th, 2010 at 01:00 PM.
April 18th, 2010, 01:09 PM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've gotten the "don't you know what causes that?" comment a couple times before as well and now I say "yeah, that's why we keep doing it" which tends to take them aback because it's not something that would typically come out of my mouth.

We only have 3 kids (with a 4th on the way) but have had our fair share of comments. It's amazing to me how many people speak before they think.
April 18th, 2010, 01:19 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
That's my favorite comment because there are so many wonderful things to say back.
#12 is on the way
April 18th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad you said something-and you kept your cool I might not have been so nice...

Lucky mother to five!

April 18th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good job! Sorry for the snarky comment, but you handled it well.
April 18th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I missed something! on #10!!

Sorry about your experience at Target. I don't get to many that are purposely being rude, they just think they're funny (not so much, really). But the other day I met a mom at a birthday party and we got to talking. She asked about my children and I told her I had 5 and completely expected to hear her gasp and see her eyes pop out of her head but instead she said me too! I nearly fainted!!
April 19th, 2010, 02:01 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtothe5thPower View Post
I think I missed something! on #10!!

Sorry about your experience at Target. I don't get to many that are purposely being rude, they just think they're funny (not so much, really). But the other day I met a mom at a birthday party and we got to talking. She asked about my children and I told her I had 5 and completely expected to hear her gasp and see her eyes pop out of her head but instead she said me too! I nearly fainted!!

LOL....doesn't it make you want to hug them or something???

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

April 19th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just can't believe it's your first one!

I've only had one rude comment as well...but I'm only expecting #4.

I didn't realize you were expecting again either...congratulations!!!
April 19th, 2010, 06:43 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shari626 View Post
LOL....doesn't it make you want to hug them or something???
I love it when that happens. Sunday night at church I was talking to a lady who was there visiting her grandkids. She asked the difference in age of my kids and of course expecting the gasp when she hears 15 months but she just smiled and said that 2 of her kids were 15 months apart, I then tell her we're expecting #3 in Nov. and then she (still smiling and pleasant) says that she was one of 7 kids in 9 years! It is rare but so nice to run into someone that doesn't looked shocked when you tell them about your family.

[
April 19th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouise View Post
I just can't believe it's your first one!

I've only had one rude comment as well...but I'm only expecting #4.

I didn't realize you were expecting again either...congratulations!!!
It's surprising but true. DH said he's gotten a couple of comments but not when he was with me.

April 20th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats on #10

and your first rude comment? Wow, I started getting rude comments when we were expecting #2

April 20th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
first of all I agree with the shock that it's your first rude comment. Laughingly I have always been "ready" to say "well...we have it narrowed down...we know it's not the water, not snuggling, not kissing, and now we know it's not broccoli" LOL!!! (since we have four)....grr people make me so frustrated. I started getting comments on number three....

I like the "yep...that is why we keep doing it" comment...or "yeah...it's so flippin fun we can't say no"...or farmer wife's "we are addicted to sex" LOL

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
April 20th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I guess most people around here have manners. Before Kiera came along(#5), people assumed I was going for a girl. Not entirely true, but ofcourse I wanted a girl. I hear a lot of 'how do you do it', and 'wow, you have your hands full'. Still not rude in my opinion. A few people even asked if I started having kids when I was 12 because I don't look old enough. That one is my favorite.

April 21st, 2010, 08:11 PM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
I used to turn around to look at them with a dumb look on my face and tell them "No, we don't but you seem to know. Would you mind explaining in great explicit detail as to where babies come from?"

April 21st, 2010, 08:56 PM
Super Mommy
lol motherfrog that's a good one! and congrat's of #10. You are a beter women then I am and you must have waaaaaay more fun then me because I stopped at 4.LOL .

Don't sweat it! kids are taught now a days (which is sad) that family isn't important, breastfeeding and having babies will ruin your body, just focus of yourself, life is all about being selfish. You are doing the right thing and you are a superMOM to me! My Hero.

April 22nd, 2010, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherFrog View Post
I used to turn around to look at them with a dumb look on my face and tell them "No, we don't but you seem to know. Would you mind explaining in great explicit detail as to where babies come from?"
I like this. I'm going to try to remember it next time someone is rude.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search