Thoughtful question

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2010, 06:17 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If your house was on fire (and everyone was already out safely) what THREE things would you grab on the way out???

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

April 20th, 2010, 06:28 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
My phone, my camera, all the pictures from when the kids were lil.
#12 is on the way
April 20th, 2010, 06:29 AM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
Well... everyone couldn't possibly be out safe in my house because my fish would be left behind

I would certainly grab the bin I keep of kids stuff growing up - all their report cards, things they made for me etc etc which is kept in a plastic & lidded bin.

Not sure what else I could think of in that moment really.

April 20th, 2010, 06:41 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pictures
Lovies (blankets, stuffed animals whatever)
Important papers (Birth cert., soc. sec. cards etc.)
April 20th, 2010, 06:54 AM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The kids baby books
The CD's with all our saved pictures
The kids blankets
April 20th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Gosh...I'd be in trouble cause there is nothing in an "easy to grab" place! LOL....ANYTHING picture related (so my computer/hard drive/cds)...I can't think of anything else that I'd just HAVE to have. If my kids were outside (which they were by the post) I know the blankie that is so important is already out there....LOL....

I'd also have to say the "keepsakes" I have in my dresser (first locks of hair etc)....

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
April 20th, 2010, 07:12 AM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
External hard drive with all the pics etc...
File folder with the important documents in it...
Shoebox of pics...

I think the pics would be most important to me, when I was about 7 or so, my dad's has burned and we lost all the pics of us kids from birth. My mom has some but alot of our baby pics were at my dads....

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

April 20th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
1. The cedar chest my grandpa made me to keep all the kids' keepsakes in
2. The photobooks from mine and Brians childhoods, and the kids' scrapbooks that I've done.
3. The computer since it has pictures I haven't copied to a CD yet

I'd pray and hope that the fire safe with all our important papers and all the CDs of pictures I had done and put in there would hold up to the fire and everything inside would be safe.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

April 20th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1. Purse
2. laptop
3. I would push the bench full of keepsakes out the door. That's why it is where it is
April 20th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtothe5thPower View Post
3. I would push the bench full of keepsakes out the door. That's why it is where it is
I love that not only have you thought about this, you planned for it

April 20th, 2010, 11:47 AM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1. My Violin
2. Christmas ornaments (I have a collection from when I was a baby)
3. Cross stitch picture that my mom made me before she died

(the only reason I don't have pictures down is because I have backups in a firesafe box and my parents have copies of all my childhood photos)

[
April 20th, 2010, 01:28 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Dang...I amy have to change my three

It would probably have to be
The bunny
The Bearded Dragon
The snake

or my kids would be sad.
#12 is on the way
April 20th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJessie View Post
I love that not only have you thought about this, you planned for it
Yep, but I haven't figured out how to convince the firemen to help me with the bench before they fight the fire
April 20th, 2010, 01:49 PM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My computer
My boxes of pictures
My file folder box of important papers

April 20th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Veteran
1. Bushfire Survival pack
2. ATM card
3. Identification

Yeah, this is all too much a reality for me. I live in high risk bushfire area, weve been evacuated 4 summers in a row, im not sure if you will remember, but at the beginning of last year there was a HUGE bushfire in Victoria, Australia where this picture of Sam the koala circulated everywhere
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200908/r412759_1952416.jpg
(meanwhile, poor little koala has since died, but thats off topic) well, thats where we live.

We have bushfire survival plans that need to be approved by the CFA (country fire authority), prior to Black Saturday we had the choice whether to stay and defend or evacuate, DH and I had it down that we would stay and defend and the kids would be evacuated, but post Black Saturday we no longer have the choice because of so many people who died in our area defending, everyone must evacuate.

So we have bushfire evacuation plans on the front and back door, which is mandatory here, along with direct contact details for the CFA and police, plus directions to safe houses in the area, a fire extinguisher as close to the middle of the house as we can get it and fire blankets in the kitchen.

The bushfire survival pack contains a map of the area with all the safe houses/refuges we can go to, water, a first aid kit, a battery operated radio programmed to only play the station that gives fire warnings, spare batteries, a torch, canned food, spare money, pocket knife, fire proof protective clothing.

The identification we need incase we dont make it to a safe house, the kid's have our contact details on them aswell as the station ID of our local CFA station incase we get seperated.

The ATM card I think is a given.

We have been directed to leave anything sentimental behind, basically, its not worth our lives. But I guess were in a different situation to most.

Last edited by Katie Giselle; April 20th, 2010 at 05:49 PM.
April 21st, 2010, 11:35 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1-purse
2-safe near back door office with passports and adoption orders
3-bag of snacks and juice boxes, my kids get hungry...
April 22nd, 2010, 08:34 AM
Xx5Xy1+'s Avatar What's your superpower?
1. Our "life book" (since we're overseas, we have a pendaflex that has ALL our important documents in it... passports, ssn cards, legal papers, birth/marriage certificates, vaccine waivers, DD214 and College Transcripts, etc).
2. Our electronics (yes, I'm cheating because that would include... dh's iMac and desktop, my laptop, dh's cell and ipod, my cell and zune and my laptop, the external hard drive LOL)
3. The lovies for the kids and I (I have a teddy bear that dh bought me before I deployed when we were dating).

Thank you 3Daughters for my AWESOME siggy!

Hoping to add a new member to our family through adoption in August 2011
~*~
I am a sleep deprived, pro-life, homebirth supporting, babywearing, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, non-vaxing, attachment parenting, conservative thinking, Constitution defending, gun owning, Torah learning, US Army Veteran who is married to her hero... A US Army Soldier! If this offends you, then stop reading my signature!
April 22nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think critters are included in everything getting out safely Urbanmomma

I would take the photos, everything else can be replaced.

if I had to pick 2 more things I guess it would be papers, even though they're not that hard to replace where we're at, and my husband

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search