Birth Control

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2010, 09:04 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
So those who aren't permanently done, what kind of BC do you use? I was going to get that Essure, but after reading horror stories I have decided it is NOT for me. I know there is always tubal ligation, but I read there can be negative side effects from that too.

I am really uncertain about any kind of hormonal BC, I have never been on any, so that leaves the copper IUD (which I also haven't heard wonderful things about) and Natural Family Planning, which I really know nothing about.

This is how I got to nine kids, I just don't know what to do, so I do nothing.

This is what I want, to not have anymore babies (right now at least), to not gain obscene amounts of weight, to not have irregular, heavy, or break through bleeding, to not have pain, acne, or mood swings.

So, what is there??
#12 is on the way
April 25th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
NFP'ing and Condoms. The mini pill was also a part of our bc plan until a few months ago when I weaned Izzy.

I don't know all the 'rules' to NFP either so we rely alot on condoms actually.
April 25th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I went on the pill between Aly and this baby and Brian is getting fixed after this baby, but I'm also going on the pill until we know it took LOL. Between Noah and Nicky and between Nicky and Aly, all I did was go online to an ovulation predictor.. find out when it said I was ovulating and then NOT have sex during that time or use a condom during that time. (BTW this is definately not 100% and worked so well for me because my periods were always very very regular). Nicky was planned and Aly was a surprise, but that's really our fault because I knew it was my time to ovulate and we still didn't use protection and lo and behold it really does take just once LOL

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

April 25th, 2010, 12:13 PM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DOnt do Mirena i gained 20 pounds in a yr!

April 25th, 2010, 12:18 PM
My cycles are regular, I have no clue if that helps with NFP.

How about this ....I am old. I'll be 37 this year so it's much harder for me to get pregnant now...right, so I don't need any BC. LMFAO...yeah, I know, that one doesn't work. But according to all the experts it shouldn't be so easy at my advanced age. If I don't do something, I'll be pregnant again by the end of the year.

Quote:
DOnt do Mirena i gained 20 pounds in a yr!
I heard that happens to a lot of women on Mirena. I have also heard lots of heavy bleeding on it too. I think that one is definitely off my list!!!
#12 is on the way
April 25th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got the depo shot. I was breastfeeding, actually JUST stopped when I got the shot, and had spotting for about a week. I know some have it a LOT longer. I haven't gained any weight, or anything. I am typically a ***** anyway, so I don't know if it makes me crabby.

I was going to get essure too, but the doctor dicked me around for so long. I didn't get ANY birth control til Sebastian was 7 months old because of that ****** doctor. I switched clinics after that too. Of course *I* want more kids, might as well, I am the one who stays home with them anyway! So I get final say.

April 25th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMomma View Post
My cycles are regular, I have no clue if that helps with NFP.

How about this ....I am old. I'll be 37 this year so it's much harder for me to get pregnant now...right, so I don't need any BC. LMFAO...yeah, I know, that one doesn't work. But according to all the experts it shouldn't be so easy at my advanced age. If I don't do something, I'll be pregnant again by the end of the year.

I heard that happens to a lot of women on Mirena. I have also heard lots of heavy bleeding on it too. I think that one is definitely off my list!!!
I don't think 37 is that old, but I do remember reading that the older you got the more likely you were to conceive twins. Something about the way your body releases eggs more sporadically.

My dh is going to get the big V when we are done...whenever that may be! Until then we have pretty much been playing it by ear, using some combo of condoms and the rhythm method I guess. The problem with that is that it only takes one thought of "Well a new baby would be nice" and one night to get pregnant....there's no time period where I am coming off birth control or anything. And we are crazy fertile.
April 25th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i find that if you don't have sex, you don't get pregnant.
April 25th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we're ntnp, but I don't have a hope in **** of having a natural pregnancy
April 25th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah..... FW, I already KNEW you were comin on here to say that. However I find abstinence difficult, therefore I need a back up plan.
#12 is on the way
April 25th, 2010, 06:45 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
Well, being one of the few Moms in here who has had a 'permanent' ending to having babies I'll give you my thoughts.

I do not believe that the tubal ligation (for me) caused anything near what others appear to experience, but I do wonder if it's related to WHEN you have it done.
I waited until Shayne was approx 4 months old before I went to have it done via laparoscopy. I had read numerous accounts that said for a period of time after having a baby, your tubes are much thicker and it can make for issues after the fact as well as increase the chance of failure; I did not want that to happen.

I had dual filshie clips placed on both tubes. They used the same incision at the top inside of my belly button where I had laparoscopy surgery to remove my gallbladder in 1995.

Now, I did find that for a bit, my periods were a bit heavier, but it did not last forever; eventually it tamed down to something more normal for me. That being said, before the surgery, I had severe AF issues to the point that I would have to be put on provera to bring one on, as I would go many months without; it's the reason why I had no idea I was even pregnant with #4 until the doctor decided to do an ultrasound to see what was up with the lack of a period at that point in time (after 6 years of AF problems), and there was this quiet little fart.. all 22 weeks 6 days of him!

Since the surgery, AF is 28 to 32 days and last 3 to 4 days (depending on if I over-exert myself cleaning/lifting/etc).

I had my surgery in June 1999 and I do not regret the decision. Just remember, this is permanent and should not be considered unless you know in both your head and your heart that you are done having babies.

April 25th, 2010, 07:54 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We do Billings, a type of Natural Family Planning. I'm also an accredited instructor, so I teach classes on fertility and NFP is what I do IRL. There are lots of different kinds of NFP though.

Here's a little Youtube about common questions related to NFP: YouTube - Dr. Daniel Greene Answers Common NFP questions

It's really important to learn it properly though. I've found that the amount of knowledge it gives me about what my body is doing on any given day has been so worth it, and not just for family planning. I like being able to just work with my body the way it is and not change it.

We've never conceived while following the NFP rules. Of all the NFP methods, we picked Billings because it is highly effective, but keeps things pretty simple once you learn it. 99% with no drugs or surgery? Works for me!

Last edited by ShawnaCAN; April 25th, 2010 at 07:58 PM.
April 25th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
We use POAP

Essure sounds horrific. Other than that, no advice. Sorry!

April 25th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Super Mommy
NFP

April 26th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Thanks everyone for all advice.
#12 is on the way
April 26th, 2010, 05:27 AM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a tubal during my c-section with Brayden last year. I haven't had any issues with it, I did have a little more pain recovering from it then just a normal c-section.

April 27th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I always went on BCP between babies. I got my tubes tied a few years ago, I've had no issues whatsoever.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search