At what age should boys and girls be separated?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My twins are 3 and still bath together. Are they too old? I hate to separate Nate from the girls becuz he loves bath time and playing with the girls plus I really love that he socially engages with the girls in the tub. I could have him shower w/ dad but it's the engaging w/ kids that he has the most difficulty with as a child on the spectrum. When do I need to move him out?

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

April 26th, 2010, 08:20 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I usually separate mine sometime around 3-4. Zari is 4 and she stopped taking baths with her lil bro's over the wintertime.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
April 26th, 2010, 09:07 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would say as long as they are comfortable with it or around school age.
April 26th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I still have Beth and Matt together and they are 4 and 5. I had seperated them for a while last year, but then when I got pregnant again it was just too much for me. I put all three of them in the tub together actually. It would be easier if Beth would shower, but she is scared to death of the shower. I figure I will split them up again this summer and do Beth alone, Matt alone, and the two baby girls together. It is at least helpful that the older two can wash themselves now...I just ahve to help Beth with her hair.
April 26th, 2010, 10:00 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Quote:
I would say as long as they are comfortable with it or around school age
Actually, if I'd had my preference, I'd still be washing all the kids at the same time... it would be so much quicker.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

April 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Around 4 was when I separated them

April 26th, 2010, 01:32 PM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with most of the comments, as long as they (and you) feel comfortable with it.
April 26th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm in agreement w/ the pp's. It depends on what you and your children are comfortable w/.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

April 26th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
RJ and Becca bathe together, I'll probably take him out when he's not afraid of the shower, but then Becca with bathe with sebastian. I don't put him in there now because he still doesn't sit up. Sydney is 5, and her and the other older 2 take showers.

April 26th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think when they start to become aware of their differences then it's time to separate them.

April 26th, 2010, 10:27 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
In general, I'd say around 4 or 5 it's about time...

BUT, as the parent of three on the spectrum... I might say I may sooner base it on your girls (I'm assuming they are not hfa?) rather than on your son. Whenever the girls become uncomfortable it's time to move him.

Also I might start intro'ing him to the idea of the shower with dad, just taking him in there when dad is showering to "visit" now and then... eventually reaching in to touch the water with his hand, then eventually walking in (and probably right back out) a few times. Slow intro to what - even for an NT child - can be a scary experience.

Two of my three have *completely freaked out* about water coming down on their heads. Slow goes it with the new things and the changing of routine!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
April 26th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
in Sept when N turns 4 and starts preschool

Lucky mother to five!

April 27th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Veteran
When they no longer become comfortable with it.

When I was 9/10 my mother forced me to still bathe with my brother who was 5/6, because "He dosent know any difference" it was completely humiliating for me.

April 27th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Mommy to Many
Three of my girls still bathe together sometimes (they shower alone though) and they are 8,7, and 3. That is by their choice (well not so much the 3 y/o, she just likes to get in whenever she can!) and I just took my son out to bathe alone this past winter. He's 6. Before that he and the 3 y/o bathed together. It was just easier with all the kids to put multiple kids in together. 3 of my foster angels are special needs and literally take 30 minutes to an hour for a basic bath. Bathtime can go from 5 until bedtime and still not be done if I did them 1 by 1. So, I agree with others: let them bathe together until you and the babes feel uncomfortable. It must be noted that my 7 and 8 year old are only 10 months apart and have done everything together so I'm not surprised they sometimes jump in the tub together.

Last edited by morethanfostermom; April 27th, 2010 at 07:03 PM.
April 28th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Veteran
My three are 4, 2 and a half and 18 months and currently all get in the shower together. I'll probably look at splitting Lily up from the boys when she's a little older.
Caleb Orion b. 10th October 2008
Quinn Gilead b. 19th August 2010

May 2nd, 2010, 12:09 AM
jojo1207's Avatar Ayla 11/8/10
My 5yr old boy and 4yr old girl still bathe together +/- the almost 2yr old... they compare notes but it's healthy curiosity. I don't plan on separating them until they start feeling uncomfortable or request it... probably closer to 7-8.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search