HOT TOPIC: Tues

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2010, 04:23 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you saw a pregnant woman smoking (or drinking) - would you say something?

BTW - I saw this yesterday.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

April 27th, 2010, 05:31 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I knew a pregnant woman who smoked crack. Yes, I said LOTS of things to her.
#12 is on the way
April 27th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMomma View Post
I knew a pregnant woman who smoked crack. Yes, I said LOTS of things to her.

Good for you.

April 27th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never seen a preggo drink or do drugs but I have seen several that smoke. Those that I didn't know very well I said nothing to but one was a good friend of mine and tried like crazy to get her to quit. She wouldn't do it, kept making excuses as to why it was better to smoke than to quit at that point!
April 27th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No. It is her business. I will roll my eyes and sigh, though.
April 27th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
No, I don't say anything, but I wonder how anyone can do that to their child.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

April 27th, 2010, 07:14 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would not say anything.
April 27th, 2010, 07:23 AM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmers-wife View Post
No. It is her business. I will roll my eyes and sigh, though.
It's the same thing I do when I see parents doing things that I consider "bad" parenting choices (ie screaming at their kids in the store, feeding their already very obese kid more fatty/sugary foods etc) These are all things that "hurt" their child in one way or another but it is their child and their choice.

[
April 27th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't say anything. Seems that smoking isnt even a big deal anymore during pregnancy. Well I suppose if they get WIC they probably encourage them to quit, but otherwise no one really says anything.

If there was some woman that was pregnant and attempting to get trashed at a bar or something I would hope the bar tender would use some judgement and not serve them, but I know a lot of women (especially european?) have a drink daily pregnant or not. There are some places where they let you drink during labor to relax. Sounds like my kind of place to give birth LOL

April 27th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
hmm If I were close to them yeah if they were strangers probably not unless she was getting trashed and I had a lil buzz lol.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

April 27th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd say nothing, its not like they're gonna care anyhow
April 27th, 2010, 03:36 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieJ View Post
I'd say nothing, its not like they're gonna care anyhow
That's not always the case, and an unfair assumption to generalize any female who may be smoking while pregnant.
There are doctors who have recommended women to cut back, but not quit as the stress of what that does to their body may be more harmful than cutting back what they smoke.
Not knowing what that person's situation is, I don't think it would be polite for me to tell them something that I'm sure they have already heard from their own doctor.

April 27th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No but I give them the stink eye.
April 27th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Mommy to Many
If it's one of my patients then I will educate her on the risks to her and her unborn baby but I am not around many smokers otherwise due to my respiratory problems so I haven't come across it outside of the "workplace".
April 27th, 2010, 08:48 PM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazE View Post
That's not always the case, and an unfair assumption to generalize any female who may be smoking while pregnant.
There are doctors who have recommended women to cut back, but not quit as the stress of what that does to their body may be more harmful than cutting back what they smoke.
Not knowing what that person's situation is, I don't think it would be polite for me to tell them something that I'm sure they have already heard from their own doctor.
Ditto all this...

To the bolded part, and yes I am opening myself up for whatever anyone has to say here, this is what my dr now and in the past have told me.
I am a smoker, I have been for quite awhile. My current dr and my previous dr have both told me that if I were to quit cold turkey b/c I have smoked for so long, that it would be a huge shock to my system and ultimately be more harmful to my baby, than if I were to slowly but steadily cut back which I have been doing. And YES I do know the risks of smoking while pregnant, and quite frankly if someone I didn't know came up to me and said anything about it, I would tell them to mind their own d*mn business....

Now on to the drinking thing, a glass of wine now and then is no biggie, some drs even recommend it for some pregnant women. Do I drink it? No b/c I don't like wine, so therefore I don't drink anything alcoholic while pregnant..

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

April 28th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by myblueyez View Post
Ditto all this...

To the bolded part, and yes I am opening myself up for whatever anyone has to say here, this is what my dr now and in the past have told me.
I am a smoker, I have been for quite awhile. My current dr and my previous dr have both told me that if I were to quit cold turkey b/c I have smoked for so long, that it would be a huge shock to my system and ultimately be more harmful to my baby, than if I were to slowly but steadily cut back which I have been doing. And YES I do know the risks of smoking while pregnant, and quite frankly if someone I didn't know came up to me and said anything about it, I would tell them to mind their own d*mn business....

Now on to the drinking thing, a glass of wine now and then is no biggie, some drs even recommend it for some pregnant women. Do I drink it? No b/c I don't like wine, so therefore I don't drink anything alcoholic while pregnant..

I don't think you are opening yourself up to anything That totally makes sense to me. I had actually never thought of it that way. Back when my mom was pregnant with me she smoked like a chimney and drank too. They didn't discourage that at all. I always told her that I am glad that she stunted my growth since I am 5'10.

April 28th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I have thought of taking up smoking to make my babies smaller. But I can't afford another $30 a day habit like my CFA one.
April 28th, 2010, 07:06 AM
DoubleTrouble07N09's Avatar Twin Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to DoubleTrouble07N09 Send a message via MSN to DoubleTrouble07N09 Send a message via Yahoo to DoubleTrouble07N09
I don't say anything TO STRANGERS BUT I have to close friends...
11/07 x's2
05/09 x's2

April 28th, 2010, 07:51 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I occasionally enjoy a glass of wine or a beer here and there after the first trimester of pregnancy... never in public, though, to avoid the looks like most of you would give me. I do not think one drink every few weeks is going to "endanger" my child or the pregnancy, and if I choose to enjoy a little alcohol with my dinner that's my business.

I'm not a smoker anymore, but there again... it isn't my business. If you see a pregnant woman light up, how do you know she smokes enough to cause harm to her child? Maybe she still smokes a pack a day- or just maybe she has been really good about quitting but just went through something traumatic and is having one smoke.

Really, you can't tell what other people are going through unless you know them, so I think it is generally best to keep my comments and my eyes to myself.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 28th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
I occasionally enjoy a glass of wine or a beer here and there after the first trimester of pregnancy... never in public, though, to avoid the looks like most of you would give me. I do not think one drink every few weeks is going to "endanger" my child or the pregnancy, and if I choose to enjoy a little alcohol with my dinner that's my business.

I'm not a smoker anymore, but there again... it isn't my business. If you see a pregnant woman light up, how do you know she smokes enough to cause harm to her child? Maybe she still smokes a pack a day- or just maybe she has been really good about quitting but just went through something traumatic and is having one smoke.

Really, you can't tell what other people are going through unless you know them, so I think it is generally best to keep my comments and my eyes to myself.
You are right. Good point and I will keep this in mind in the future and save my eyes for the bad parenting at Walmart.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search