My Younger 2 kiddos

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thought since you guys obviously have some experience with potty training and maybe with potty training 2 at once, you could give me some advice.......

Potty training Noah was so so easy.. he was completely daytime potty trained by 18 months and completely nighttime potty trained by 2 years. Nicky is a MUCH different story!! We have been hardcore attempting to potty train Nicky for about 6 months now (we tried at 18 months, but it was obvious he just wasn't ready so we backed off). He's 2 1/2 now but we're just not getting anywhere. He doesn't really get the concept of pooping and he thinks when he pees, he's pooping. When I was changing his pullup and getting his jammies on him last night we had this conversation:

Me: Nicky are you poopy?
Nicky: No.. I'm not poopy. (and he wasn't )
Me: You are right!! But you did peepee on clifford (his pullups have clifford on them) and we need to only peepee in the potty, right?
Nicky: Mommy.. I didn't peepee on Clifford. My elevator (and he pats his little friend down there.. not sure where he got elevator from ) poopooed on clifford.

I have tried everything with this boy and it's just not working.. tried candy, stickers, getting all excited when he goes, telling him clifford is sad when he goes potty on him, tried nickels (he loves nickels) everytime he went in the potty, set a timer and take him every 5 or 10 minutes.. even having wet undies on doesn't bother him. I am just out of ideas, and he doesn't seem to be anywhere near getting it.

And then there's Miss Alyzabeth hot on his heels. She's only 16 months (almost 17 months) and we decided that we'd give her a go at it when she's 18 months like we did with the boys and if she's ready then we go with it.. if she isn't we back off. Well, lately she is definately showing signs she's ready. Today for example.. You could tell she was pooping. She gets done and without me saying a word, runs over to where the diapers are, gets a diaper, wipes, and the diaper cream and brings them over to me. Then she is pulling at the button at the top of her sleeper, so I unbutton it for her and she starts pulling at her zipper trying to undo the zipper (which she did get down a little ways). We're only a month away from starting to get into it with her and I just feel bad that I haven't gotten Nicky there yet. Maybe it'll help Nicky if she's potty training with him, but it could really go the complete other way too. It would be so awesome to have them all out of diapers at least during the day before this baby comes, but I'm worried Nicky is going to have issues with Aly (who he still refers to as Baby) potty training with him.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

April 27th, 2010, 09:35 AM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had 2 potty training at once. My advice get a second potty. All I did, which you said doesnt bother him, is put them in undies and within 24 hrs they both were using th potty to pee it took about 3-4 days for my son to use it for pooping and my daughter about 2 weeks. Sorry Im no help. My kids are 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and still not potty trained at night Not even close to being ready either

April 27th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would just wait. It sounds like your oldest was so easy that it set you up with high expectations for the others. My kids trained closer to three and it was very easy at that point. They were speaking well, they could go on their own, it all just went very quickly. Somewhere around 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 seems to be the standard for the kids I know around here. I know it's tough buying diapers for more than one but I've had no luck with trying to force the issue before they are ready. I also haven't had any luck with pull-ups...when we did train I went with regular undies and did extra laundry.
April 27th, 2010, 01:22 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
My advice is wait too.
#12 is on the way
April 27th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
I would wait to I tried to get my oldest trained early but it didn't work so I backed off and waited until she was ready, she trained before she turned 3 night time too, my second was poop trained before she turned 2 but wasn't pee trained until almost 3, I think if you wait until they are ready it is so much easier and less hassle, right now Laynie is poop trained and sometimes pee trained and she stays dry all night but she's not completely ready to go diaperless in public. She will be 3 in August. I think if you push it it's more stressful on them and yourself. Good luck.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search