Healthy high fat foods? xposted

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2010, 07:03 AM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aylie (4 years old) lost about 5 lbs while sick over the last week (she's been in and out of the hospital for 6 days, unable to keep ANYTHING down at all). She was skinny to begin with and now I can see her little ribs.

What are some higher fat, healthier foods I can feed her to get her to gain some weight back? Her stomach has definitely shrunken a bit over the 6 days so she's eating far less at meals as well. I don't want to give her junky stuff to get her to gain back.

Any nuts are a no go due to my allergy. She's super picky so won't eat avocado, which I know is a healthy fat, among many other things. When I can I switch her regular 1% milk for homo milk, but she catches on sometimes and doesn't want to drink the babies milk.

Ideas?

April 30th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Will she eat avocados? They're a healthy fat. I have an awesome recipe for guacomole that all of my kids absolutely love but I'm not sure that all kids would like it. Can share if you want.

ETA: Guess it would help if I read the WHOLE post first!! Sorry, I'm no help today!!

Last edited by Momtothe6thpower; April 30th, 2010 at 07:47 AM.
April 30th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't really worry about it being a healthy fat, if you are just temporarilly trying to put weight back on her. Well as long as her stomach is back to normal. Pumping her full of cheeseburgers and chocolate milk wont help if she is sick to her stomach.

April 30th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess I disagree with the non healthy fats....I'd pump her with healthy fats...does she like fruits? Can you make her a fruit smoothie...adding in avacado (it'll be disguised with the fruits) you might also be able to add in coconut oil or something like that this way....

Get some half and half and add it to her milk, making her milk more fatty (like half milk half that)....

There are a few healthy oils that you can get to add to foods (coconut, hemp seed, olive...flax...) Custard style yogurt....

ok that is all I can think of right off the bat....HUGS to her

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
April 30th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestions girls!

The avocado in the smoothies are a great idea! I make smoothies pretty much every day and throw a handful of spinach in so the green from avocadoes wouldn't throw her and I'll get the higher fat yogourt for that too. Thanks!
April 30th, 2010, 06:48 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
The WIC nutritionists put me on a GD diet because of some spikes and a history of borderline GD, plus it's more likely this time since I'm carrying twins. I have this chart here... And anything in parentheses is actually on this chart, except where I put it in italics.

high-fat meat and substitutes
bacon
cheese, regular (american, cheddar, swiss)
hot dogs
pork sausage, chorizo
processed sandwich meats (bologna, salami, pepperoni)
peanut butter (of course you said that one was off limits though)

Medium fat meat and subs
beef
cheese (mozzerella)
chicken (dark meat with skin)
eggs
fish (any fried fish products)
pork (chops, culets)
tofu

Fats - unsaturated
avacados
margarine
mayonnaise
mixed nuts (again off limits)
oil (canola, olive, corn, sunflower)
olives
salad dressing, not reduced fat
sunflower seeds

fats - saturated (less healthy)
butter, stick
chitterlines (tripas), boiled
cream cheese, regular
shortening or lard
sour cream, regular

Would she go for milkshakes or chocolate milk made with whole milk?
Another option might be homemade ice cream. It doesn't have all the gobs of crap in it the store bought stuff does, and you can reduce the sugar (or use a substitute like Splenda or Stevia, etc) if you want to. Plus she might enjoy helping make it! The internet is full of recipes.

HTH!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!

Last edited by dalynnrmc; April 30th, 2010 at 06:55 PM.
April 30th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks so much dalynn, that's a great list! Though I have NO clue what chitterlines means, off to google!!
Good call on the ice cream, I have an ice cream maker a friend gave me that has never been used!

ETA: Um, ok, just googled, I think she'd rather be put back in the hospital than eat pig intenstines!
April 30th, 2010, 10:41 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
You're welcome! Glad to help.

And, I totally agree about the chitterlines.

Glad she's home now and T&P for her quick return to full health!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search