Trying to make a decision

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2010, 07:20 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Figured you ladies, esp you over 35 could help.

I do and don't want to do this but I feel as though I am running out of time...

I was thinking of weaning Sky, at 6 months, to TTC. I want him to get the benefits of breast milk as long as possible, but I will be 36 this summer and I feel that time is running out with my fertility. Dh and I definately do want another baby or two.

A part of me feels so selfish to do this but another part of me has a ticking biological clock, kwim?

Any advice would be great about now. TIA

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
May 2nd, 2010, 04:57 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's a tough one. How long does AF stay away while bfing? For me it was only 5 months for each baby - no matter how long they bf. So that was never an issue for me. I understand your clock ticking - and you're not getting any younger. LOL How easy it for you to get a BFP? Does it take several months or do you two just look at eachother?? LOL I guess I would take all those things into consideration. How old are your babies typically when they wean?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

May 2nd, 2010, 05:33 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I don't know what to say. I am usually pg again by the time one baby is six months, but I never breastfeed (it freakin hurts).I do think all Shari's questions come into consideration.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
May 2nd, 2010, 05:34 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
at 36 i wouldnt worry ab out it. at 40, i see that baby not nursing was a blessing in disguise that I was able to get pregnant again with #8 sooner than I would have. It wasn't even on my radar at 36.
May 2nd, 2010, 06:25 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just had my 5th at 36 she's still bf'ing, she's 8m and my cycle just came back. I could possibly get pg. this month if I were so inclined then have the next dc when I'm 37.
I don't think I would wean just to have the next one, I would feel too guilty. jmpo
Good luck with your decision.
May 2nd, 2010, 06:33 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
I too would feel guilty, my first af pp comes between 4- 14 months. I have been bfing right now for over 10 years straight, so bfing does not effect my fertility too much. Shari's questions are good ones.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

May 2nd, 2010, 06:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
My AF came back anywhere from 4 - 8 months so personally I wouldn't wean. GL either way.

May 2nd, 2010, 08:00 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My pp AF averages about 10 months. Sky will be able to start solids soon, right? Maybe that will help bring back your cycle and you won't have to completely quit.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

May 2nd, 2010, 09:38 AM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shari626 View Post
That's a tough one. How long does AF stay away while bfing? For me it was only 5 months for each baby - no matter how long they bf. So that was never an issue for me. I understand your clock ticking - and you're not getting any younger. LOL How easy it for you to get a BFP? Does it take several months or do you two just look at eachother?? LOL I guess I would take all those things into consideration. How old are your babies typically when they wean?
I should've pointed out that Sky's not directly bf'ing, but I pump exclusively, and a LOT so that has been enough to stave off AF for the 4.5 months he's been here. The moms, some of them, on the pumping board have the same thing, esp the exclusive pumpers. My supply is going down a bit, so maybe it may be the start of AF? But he was such a sickly little thing when he was born (tube fed the n bottle fed by requirements of the NICU) so he never did directly latch on.

For me, it's very easy to get a BFP, however, my dh has male factor fertility issues (my first hubby to my four obviously didn't, lol) and our 3 yo dd is an IUI baby, and Sky is a complete miracle. After being together 5 years, it FINALLY happened naturally, lol. So, it may be back to IUI if things don't happen within the first few cycles.

I have never exclusivley breast fed or breast milk fed in this case this long. My 13 yo ds was nursed once a day for the first 9 months and that was the most I had done, but AF returned when he was 3 months. I am just a lot more educated on the benefits of breast milk now than I ever was before.

I think I am going to see what happens around 6-9 months (closer to the 9 month range) with my cycle and go from there. Like others, I think the guilt would be too bad considering how sick he was.

I thank all of you so much for taking the time to answer because I was very confused, and now at least I have some direction

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
May 2nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Just found this!

I was going to suggest just missing the occasional feeding. Doing cereal before bedtime, or something like that, can whack your supply just enough to stimulate the return of AF

With EP though, you might be right with diminished supply, and she might be back on her way without your prompting. And I totally understand about the guilt factor!

Do keep in mind the possibility of leaving out just one feeding, or spreading them out just a little further, or something like that. It might mess with your supply enough to stop flow though, so that's something to consider also, and if you wanted to continue it's not something I'd probably recommend at just 4.5 mos.

Sounds like you've made peace though!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
May 2nd, 2010, 04:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I never nursed longer than 6 months, so if I were you I would be done already anyways, and I never did feel guilty about it.
I pumped for 5 weeks while my preemie was in the hospital, so I commend you for having kept going this long, I was soooooo glad to be done with the pump after that time.
May 2nd, 2010, 10:24 PM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hardly post here (I never seem to have time to get this far down on the site, lol) but tonight I guess I was supposed to see this post.

I weaned a baby once to ttc. Like OP, I felt the pressure of time plus it takes me a long time to get pg, then I have a loss and have to start all over again. I felt very guilty yet justified what I was doing in leading my baby to wean. I wish now that I had nursed for just a few more months because in the end I didn't get pg quickly (in fact the span between the babies was my second longest ever) and gave up the benefits of bfing to gain just a short time for ttc. Also, like OP, my baby was conceived with ART so what I did the next time was bf for 7mo and I pumped like mad during that time so I ended up with 3mo worth of milk in the freezer. Once baby weaned I went directly to ART rather than take time to ttc naturally (again, because of my age).

It's really hard when age is a factor and a woman is bfing yet AF doesn't show. I could have a baby that slept through the night at 6.5 weeks, nursed every 3 hours or so and no AF. In fact even nursing once/day kept AF away...so frustrating! So I know very well the dilemma of wanting to bf and yet wanting to wean to ttc. This was what I came up with as well after weaning to ttc the first time:
Quote:
I think I am going to see what happens around 6-9 months (closer to the 9 month range) with my cycle and go from there. Like others, I think the guilt would be too bad considering how sick he was.

Also missing 11 precious little ones here with us but for a moment.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search