food stamps, unemployment and lots of kids

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So now the DH lost his job he thinks we will qualify for food stamps among other things. He asked me if I would have a problem with food stamps. And my response was no, not at all as long as I don't have all 4 kids with me.

I think you get a credit card type thing now a days so it is less obvious that it's food stamps but I still feel like there is a stigma attached to having lots of kids and needing food stamps. Am I just being weird???

We have always been able to pay our way for everything, have very little debt and never did WIC, food stamps, or unemployement ever before. I have no problem with food stamps, unemployement etc, but I just feel like I will be judged becuz I have 4 little ones.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

May 5th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think you should do what you need to do...I bet this is just temporary. I think the economy of the last few years has made people less judgmental, as lots of people have needed services that they never did before.
May 5th, 2010, 01:41 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree. Who cares how many kids you have. If you need help and qualify for it - then who cares!!!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

May 5th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Veteran
I'm with everyone else! If you need the help, that's what it is there for. Remember, hubby's worked all these years and has paid his taxes, he deserves a little help regardless of how many kiddos Goodluck!
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
May 5th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
exactly, not EVERY large family can afford stuff anyway, but if people look at you funny because you HAVE TO depend on the system that you HAD BEEN paying for with your taxes for all those years, then tell them to shove it in their ***. At least you are a legal citizen, and you attempt to make a living. Sore spot for me.

I agree that using it with ALL your kids along may feel embarrassing, but you never know how many kids that lady that brings 1 kid to the store has at home (or maybe in the van )

May 5th, 2010, 02:09 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I have never needed help until this year, then I had to apply for a Bridge Card (Food stamp credit card). Sometimes I feel embarrassed to use the card but I see a LOT of people with them. I have no choice right now, and I have paid taxes for years too. So, I do what I have to do for now. I can't wait to not need it though.
#12 is on the way
May 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Your taxes went into this just as much as anyone else's. Anyone can lose their job in a tough economy, not just people supporting families.
May 5th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN View Post
Your taxes went into this just as much as anyone else's. Anyone can lose their job in a tough economy, not just people supporting families.
exactly! Think of it as your "really rainy day" fund.
May 5th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Don't worry about what they think. You're doing the best you can.

May 5th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I couldn't say it better than anyone of the rest of the ladies. If you need help, there's no shame in that. I think people are a little more understanding now with the economy. You've worked, paid your way, and now need a little bridge to get you to your next job. Please don't feel bad. Times are tough. I am glad to know my taxes are going to support some hardworking family in this country. Hang in there. I would bet you would feel better going alone though. I don't know how they work, but anything to make it a little easier on you.

Chin up!

May 5th, 2010, 06:31 PM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everyone else.

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

May 5th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
EXACTLY what these ladies have said

My dh has worked literally 35 years, as much time as I have been alive so I have no problem taking a LITTLE (which is all we qualify for) bit of help for all the years he and I (to a lesser extent) paid into the system.

Best of luck to you, and sadly though, there will ALWAYS be people who judge but to heck with them! Karma is a *****!

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
May 6th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everything everyone else has said!! You've paid your taxes, so there's nothing wrong with expecting those taxes to work for you right now while you need it!

My DH lost his job back in September and he didn't get unemployment because instead of doing layoffs, the company found shoddy ways to fire people (we actually did fight this and 3 months later he did get all the backpay from unemployment). So with me being a SAHM, DH out of work, 3 small kids, and no income at all, we went to get food stamps. We actually didn't go through with it because all the information they asked and wanted about the kids just made me really really nervous, plus in order to get the food stamp benefits, Brian had to work anywhere they put him (I was exempt from it because of the kids) M-F for 8 hours a day and that money he'd earn doing those jobs went to the state as payment for being in the program. If he was doing that how was he going to look for a job??? So we didn't do it, but got VERY lucky that my grandpa offered to help us out until Brian got a job. Brian got a job a month later (making $6 more an hour than he was making) and when we tried to pay my grandpa back he refused to take the money. Just make sure when you do go for the food stamps, to ask about all the fine print.. because it is there as we found out!

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

May 6th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My husband has also been on his own since he was about 15, so while it's not 35 years it is about 22 , and had jobs since then, he's worked too hard for me to feel guilty if we need help. No one that is a legal citizen, and is in some way a contributing member to society (whether that be having a job, or making sure that your children turn into contributing members of society) should feel guilty about needing help.

It's a little different here, the only thing you CAN'T get if neither of you are working is day care assistance, but that makes sence.

May 6th, 2010, 08:46 AM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My husband was laid off in Dec and since then hasn't found anything that would work so we are getting food stamps and unemployment. I'm not thrilled about it but until he can find a job that's just how it has to be. I do tend to use the self check out as much as possible because it's less embarrassing.

May 6th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My motto is if that if you qualify, you should take it.

I qualify for a lot of stuff, on our taxes we are low income even though we make a decent living. And stuff like child tax benefit which we have here in canada, gets automatically deposited, and it's not like I'm not going to take it. I figure eventually we'll have to pay a bunch of taxes, so I may as well take it while I can.
May 6th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
I ahve the application for wic sitting in my kitchen right now. It's been sitting there for a couple months because I do not want to feel self conscious going to the grocery store. On the other hand we really need it right now, we have gone from broke to holy crap broke. SO in other words, I totally understand.

May 6th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJessie View Post
I ahve the application for wic sitting in my kitchen right now. It's been sitting there for a couple months because I do not want to feel self conscious going to the grocery store. On the other hand we really need it right now, we have gone from broke to holy crap broke. SO in other words, I totally understand.
Ladies, you really need to go back through your pay stubs and add up what ya'll have paid in. I promise you it will make you feel a million times better and you won't hesitate turning those papers in. Alyssa has been on Medicaid for a while now, her supplies are just soo expensive to pay for all at once and since dh isn't her biological father she qualifies. I felt crappy about it until I looked at paystubs and saw that dh gets anywhere from $200-300 in taxes taken out each week. Now I just feel like we are finally putting our money to good use .
May 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
nathan already gets all of his therapy paid for by the state. i never felt bad about it. his therapy would cost us about $40,000 a year if we didn't have the state's medical access card for him.

i feel so lucky that we have this program here in PA. most private medical insurance won't pay a penny for autism therapies. without this program we couldn't afford to do what we are doing for our son and i'm sure he would be miles behind and still nonverbal if it wasn't for all the therapy he gets.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

May 7th, 2010, 07:07 AM
frugality=reality
I know how you feel. My husband has been mostly laid off for almost a year now. He's been back to work for three weeks in a row now, so hopefully the slump is almost over...

but in the meantime, we did apply for assistance. Here I am: pregnant, four kids, and having to use food stamps. I am not proud of it, but I try not to let it get me down either.

My husband had a decent job and could take care of us, and it's not his fault that the bottom fell out of the construction industry in FL (hardest hit industry here). Sure, he could go get a minimum wage job somewhere (maybe), but it wouldn't even be the same as unemployment by the time we pay fuel, taxes, etc. *shrug*

We've been paying our taxes for years and years, and now we're having to use some of the fund that we have contributed to for so long. It isn't ideal, but hey-the kids gotta eat.

(I also ALWAYS use coupons to extend our benefits as much as possible. ).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search