Do you have any kids

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With developmental delays or anything?

Do you consider them "special needs?"

I just had a physical therapist come for Sebastian today. He has like 0 upper muscle strength. She called him a noodle lol. He is 10 months old on monday and doesn't sit, still arches his back like a newborn, and still has "newborn ribs" that haven't extended over his belly yet, if you know what I'm talking about. RJ also had physical therapy, didn't walk til about 15 months, but at least I feel I can blame that on the daycare that they used to go to. He was in that **** jungle jumper every waking minute, and I worked full time until I was pregnant with Becca.

ANYWAY. I never thought of them as special needs. I just think of them as mom needing some suggestions on how to get them caught up.

May 5th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, my 3 yo dd is epileptic, has been since 7 months and has had many debilatating seizures and has a very small vocabulary and very low comprehension skills.

She's hospitalized at least a couple times a year.

IT SUCKS!

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
May 5th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Nathan was dx'd with Autism just after his 2nd birthday. I pushed the doc to give me an indication of severity and she said moderate to severe.

Nathan gets 30 hours of one on one behavior therapy each week. His therapists show up at our home pretty much every day by 7:30am. He was nonverbal until just recently. He still can't communicate well but his has made so much progress. Last year at this time we were teaching him how to use PECS (a picture book) so that he could "tell" us what he wanted. His speech therapist had given up on him talking, but I guess he proved her wrong.

He has a tough time with stimming. He pretty much always has 4 of something in his hands that he fiddles with. And he gets stuck on things like sand and water. He tantrums, screams and crashes over the littlest things. Socially he is a bit awkward but I tend to think he is a lot better off than most kids on the spectrum. He also has some sensory issues.

I have so much hope for Nathan that he will be able to function as an adult and not need to be in a group home. Last year at this time, I wasn't nearly as confident that he would "be okay".

My latest worry is going to be baby Kaycee since Autism seems to affect more than one child in a family. Reagan is typical and I feel pretty sure that Riley is typical as well. With Kaycee being a girl, I feel a lot better about her chances of being typical also.

To answer the question if I think of him as special needs...Sometimes Yes and Sometimes No. It depends on the day and how things are going. If nothing else, having a therapist with us 30 hours a week makes me feel "different" than a mom of typical kids and that makes me feel like we must have a child with special needs.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

May 6th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, our 8 year old daughter. She was in speech therapy for 3 years and will probably go back this fall. She really struggles with speech still (and she's made tons of progress). She also struggles with memory a lot. I'm not sure if this is connected or not and she struggles with reading. Do I think of her as special needs? Yes and no. I don't know her any different I guess. She's homeschooled so therefore isn't "labeled" so I try not to as well. But I am concerned about her. She works at grade level for the most part, but everything requires so much more and extra work. She's got the best willing and cooperative attitude, I think that makes it harder to see her struggle.

May 6th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
My oldest was labeled dyslexic when she was in early third grade, she's not she has no trouble reading just trouble reading and then writing it she could tell you the answer after reading it she just couldn't write it she was retested last fall and now they think she has a non verbal learning disability, she scored in the superior range for verbal learning but in the lower normal range for non verbal understanding, which basically means that she is extremely gullible(she doesn't get non verbal clues like when someone is done with the conversation and needs to go she will just keep on talking and talking lol) and doesn't do well on written essays so they let her answer verbally and give her extra time with tests, double check with her on understanding etc.

Alorah has speech issues that she is getting help with I don't consider them special needs at all.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

May 6th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I'm kinda thinking that something is more wrong with Sydney's understanding of "reading" and letters than what they are saying, but I'd have to make another whole post about that one lol.

May 7th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Veteran
Yes and No.

Lilia was born at 28 weeks and 1 day. She walked at about 17 months, while my boys walked between 12-14 months.

So far her development is around "average" for her age. I'll wait and see how she goes when she reaches Kindy at four.
Caleb Orion b. 10th October 2008
Quinn Gilead b. 19th August 2010

May 7th, 2010, 09:04 AM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Will didn't walk until 17 months but he was also very tiny and when he was 15 months we found out that he has several major food allergies. When we changed his diet he caught up on his physical development. Still on the small size but is more than skin and bones now.

Will also has a speech delay. We have an early intervention teacher who comes out twice a month to work with him and next month he'll also start working with a speech clinician. He's making improvements but still gets quite frustrated. He understands things at an appropriate level but has a lot of trouble communicating what he wants/needs. I don't really think of him as special needs but I know that some other people get a little freaked out when I have to explain how to use his epi pen in case of an emergency. My DH is really sensitive to being "labeled" and put in special classes etc because he was in special ed his whole life and his mom was told by a doctor that he and his twin brother probably wouldn't every talk etc. Once he got out of HS he went on to college without interventions/meds etc and is now almost finished with his master's degree. Growing up he always felt "stuck" in the special ed system when he knew he was capable of doing more.

Anyway that is my little rant. My degree is in special ed which I think helps me to better know how to advocate for Will. We will also be homeschooling out kids which will keep them from being stuck in the system like DH was.

[
May 7th, 2010, 09:07 AM
My DH was pretty upset when I wanted to get the therapy for Sebastian, didn't want him to be "pushed", but honestly, he has to get over it, because at 10 months he should be working on crawling, maybe even pulling up, not stuck like a lump on the floor who can't even sit up. I denied OT for now, but if he needs it in the future, i'm not afriad to ask for help.

May 7th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftsfromGod View Post
Will didn't walk until 17 months but he was also very tiny and when he was 15 months we found out that he has several major food allergies. When we changed his diet he caught up on his physical development. Still on the small size but is more than skin and bones now.

Will also has a speech delay. We have an early intervention teacher who comes out twice a month to work with him and next month he'll also start working with a speech clinician. He's making improvements but still gets quite frustrated. He understands things at an appropriate level but has a lot of trouble communicating what he wants/needs. I don't really think of him as special needs but I know that some other people get a little freaked out when I have to explain how to use his epi pen in case of an emergency. My DH is really sensitive to being "labeled" and put in special classes etc because he was in special ed his whole life and his mom was told by a doctor that he and his twin brother probably wouldn't every talk etc. Once he got out of HS he went on to college without interventions/meds etc and is now almost finished with his master's degree. Growing up he always felt "stuck" in the special ed system when he knew he was capable of doing more.

Anyway that is my little rant. My degree is in special ed which I think helps me to better know how to advocate for Will. We will also be homeschooling out kids which will keep them from being stuck in the system like DH was.
I don't know very much about how the school system works since none of my kids have even started kindergarten but I really don't get why people don't want their kids "labeled"?

With Nathan's dx it opened up SO MANY more windows for him. He gets his 30 hours of ABA therapy paid for by the state, we get a few state grants each year for special equipment, we don't have to pay any copays or prescriptions since he has a state medical access card, when he turned 3 he went on to receive services through our school system for OT and Speech, he also gets outside Speech and OT at no cost, he was eligible for FREE preschool at a preschool where there is a mix of special needs and typical kids, he has an IEP that I very much intend to fight to keep throughout all of his school years.

We plan on sending Nathan to a typical classroom but he will just have an IEP so that his special needs are met. He may or may not need an aide with him in the classroom, it just depends on how well he is doing.

I get that if you are homeschooling then that changes things and I get that my state of PA may have a lot more to offer than other states, but I really don't get why people don't want to figure out a dx for their kid. I know people that have their autistic kids see a doc to get labeled as MR (mentally retarded) because it opens up even more windows of "help" than just an autistic dx. I couldn't care less if Nathan was labeled "a blue kid from Mars", I just want him to be able to get all the services and help available to him so that he has the best shot at "fitting" into our typical world.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

Last edited by cnote; May 7th, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
May 8th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nolan's got a severe speech day, he gets speech here weekly.
E sees physio and EIP for some kind of delay since she was fed mush and carried all the time when she got here in January at 21 months of age.
A and T are seen by speech, physio and EIP-Arthur has a weird brain vessel that they're watching that they found on head u/s in the NICU-it'll likely cause a language reading delay when he hits school, so they're following him closely.
I don't mind labels if it'll help me get the help my kids need.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search