vehicle?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What vehicle do you drive when taking the entire family out?

We have a 7 passenger but as of today, it is now a 6. We had to move baby Andrew to a convertable car seat and our 2yr old DD moved up to a booster w/a back. now only 2 backed boosters will fit in the back bucket seats that once held the convertable, a backed booster and the infant carrier seat.
We have 5 children, so, I am now having to put my 6 yr old in the front passenger seat. I know it's legal but I also know it's the last resort. We had someone with safety inspections take a look and that's what we came up with for now.

So, I think we'll need to look for a new van.
What do you drive?

Mommy to Briana - 10, Laura - 9, Kainan - 8, Sara - 6 1/2 , Andrew - 4 1/2 and Nathan - 2

I Love Yoli ! Ask Me Why!!!

May 6th, 2010, 04:13 PM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You have the 2 yr still harnessed right? And with the six year old he should still be in a booster. And if you have air bags Id turn them off if hes in the front seat, I dont know how to but yea. Maybe go over to the carseat saftey board on here.

To answer your question I have a dodge caravan that has 5 seats in the back and the 2 fron seats. But then I only have 3 kids, I dont know what we will do when we have 5 car seats cuase Im sure only 4 seats will fit, lol.

May 6th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a dodge caravan also and I can put 5 convertible seats in it if I needed to.

Right now I have the 3 big kids in the back row FF in Radian Car seats (they are very narrow so they fit 3 across in a very small space). And Kaycee is behind the passenger RF.

I wanted this set up so that I could stow one of the captain chairs and make it much easier to get the kids in and out and buckled etc.

The only down side is that it is recommended to tether FF convertible seats to the anchor point behind the seat. And in my van there is only one tether anchor in the back row. I have my 18 mth old tethered properly and even though it isn't the best thing to do, my DH found secure/strong metal locations to tether the other 2 seats.

I really think that some safety stuff is a bit over kill. The Radian seats are tested w/o being tethered and they still test very well that way. Many people who drive older vehicles don't even have tether anchors. I feel pretty comfortable with the safety of our set up even though I guess it isn't 100% the "correct" way to do it.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

May 6th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Carry, I think it sounds like you have a pretty good set up.

We have:
10 month old now RF in a convertible behind the driver in the captain seat
2 yr old in a booster with a harness in the back row.
5 yr old in a backed booster w/no harness in the back row.
- those 2 seats are the only thing that will fit back there now.
4 yr old in a regular booster cause he's tall and the safety rep said he would be fine w/o the back since we have him in the capital chair.
but, that leaves the 6 yr old to sit in the front. We don't have the airbag turned on and she is still in a booster.

The down side to all of this is that I need the front seat if my we want DH to ride along with us on any family trips (big or small). With this current van, and set up, we will have to take 2 vehicles. I can't seem to find anything bigger than a 7 and smaller than a 12 seater! lol don't really need that at this point

Mommy to Briana - 10, Laura - 9, Kainan - 8, Sara - 6 1/2 , Andrew - 4 1/2 and Nathan - 2

I Love Yoli ! Ask Me Why!!!

May 6th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We drive a 12 passenger. There are a few 8 passenger mini vans and SUVs out there but getting kids in and out from the back row is a pain. Have you looked at the Radian carseats? I know several people who love them because they are very narrow and you can get three across in almost any vehicle.

Amazon.com: Sunshine Kids Radian65SL Convertible Car Seat: Baby

May 6th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie_aka_Mommy View Post
Carry, I think it sounds like you have a pretty good set up.

We have:
10 month old now RF in a convertible behind the driver in the captain seat
2 yr old in a booster with a harness in the back row.
5 yr old in a backed booster w/no harness in the back row.
- those 2 seats are the only thing that will fit back there now.
4 yr old in a regular booster cause he's tall and the safety rep said he would be fine w/o the back since we have him in the capital chair.
but, that leaves the 6 yr old to sit in the front. We don't have the airbag turned on and she is still in a booster.

The down side to all of this is that I need the front seat if my we want DH to ride along with us on any family trips (big or small). With this current van, and set up, we will have to take 2 vehicles. I can't seem to find anything bigger than a 7 and smaller than a 12 seater! lol don't really need that at this point
What kind of van do you have?

Have you considered getting 3 Radians so you can do 3 across? They should fit. It is really tight but they fit. To fit 3 across the vehicle must have at least 51" of interior back seat width and have about 48” of width across the top of the passenger seat back. (got this info from here CAR SEAT SAFETY - Radian 80 at MyPreciousKid.com The seats are convertible so you can even put the 10 mth old in one RF if you wanted.

The Radians go up to either 65lbs or 80lbs and 53" tall but they are not boosters only a 5 pt harness. They are expensive but I'm sure they cost a lot less than buying a new vehicle LOL & DH can ride with you! I bought my 3 seats from Bed Bath Beyond. I used my 20% off coupon and went to the store and they placed the online order for me.

Here is my crew back from back in December when we got the new seats. They are the Radian65.

You may be able to do some other combination of 3 across also. There is an entire thread dedicated to 3 across here Successful Three Across thread - Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Vehicle & Child Passenger Safety Forums and these ladies are HARD CORE safety people. Most of them had their set ups checked by a pro.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

Last edited by cnote; May 6th, 2010 at 11:20 PM.
May 7th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
we have a toyota sienna. Fortunately by the time anyone else would be added to our gang...my oldest will be old enough to be without a booster this August (she's already tall enough but making her wait)...Then I can make her sit in the back middle. Though those radians do look nice...

I have my almost 6 yo in a regular booster (he's only 2 inches shorter than my almost 8 yo)...my 4 yo is in a convertible seat in the driver side captain chair...and my 19 month old is rear facing in the passenger side captain chair. This set up works great for us.

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
May 7th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We just have a 7 passenger minivan. Sebastian still has a infant seat, then RJ and Becca both have some kind of cosco seat. Bastian and Becca are in the 2nd row, and I put a booster inbetween them for one of the bigger kids to sit on, then they use the seatbelt from the far left side (facing). 2 of the other bigger kids sit in 3rd row, and RJ is on the far right side (facing).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search