HOT TOPIC: Fri (early!!)

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2010, 03:31 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I couldn't resist this.

Teens Sent Home for Wearing American Flag T-Shirts | Badeau P.O.V. | Comcast.net

Do you think these teens should have been asked to remove their shirts for another country's holiday???

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

May 6th, 2010, 04:25 PM
MIL2lissy8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i can understand the principal worry-ing about it causing trouble on cinco-de-mayo (i worked on school campuses for years) BUT last i heard there is freedom of speech in the U.S.A. i also believe there is pride in country, at least at my house. i wear shirts with flags often, in fact almost bought some new ones at kohls the other day. so i can see both sides of it, but i disagree with the decision that was made.

~~terre~~
May 6th, 2010, 05:55 PM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WTH???
Last I checked this was still America and therefore I can wear a flag any da*n day of the year I want...

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

May 6th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
Sure, I think the kids should be allowed to wear the flag, but four boys all happen to wear flag shirts with flag bandanas on a Mexican heritage day? Somehow I do not think it was a coincidence, I think they were picking a fight.

May 6th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJessie View Post
Sure, I think the kids should be allowed to wear the flag, but four boys all happen to wear flag shirts with flag bandanas on a Mexican heritage day? Somehow I do not think it was a coincidence, I think they were picking a fight.
Yeah, I feel like maybe this was something that got twisted around into looking like it was just because of the shirts. More than likely this was an ongoing problem between two different cliques and the intentions of the boys, more than the shirts themselves, were going to set tempers off.
May 6th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Super Mommy
This is BS. Mexico doesn't even celebrate Cinco do Mayo. Sept. 18 was the independence from France. May 5 was the battle to get the soilders out. It is only celebrated in Peubla and here(US). Don't we already have a Mexican Heritage Month?

Don't give me a hard time I am 1/2 Mexican. I live in America and I am 100% American!!!!

May 7th, 2010, 06:20 AM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I just read the title of the story I thought it was complete crap, you should be allowed to be proud of your country whenever you want.

Then I saw that it was a group of friends that all "happened" to be wearing their shirts on the same day. Last I checked, teenage boys don't dress alike for fun, that's like a 5 year old girl thing. To me, it seemed after I read that like they were trying to start trouble.
May 7th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJessie View Post
Yeah that!

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
May 7th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think if the boys were out there causing trouble then that should have been dealt with appropriately.. telling them to turn the shirts inside out so the american flag couldn't be seen because our flag would make other students upset and threatening suspension if they didn't turn the shirts, is uncalled for and makes our flag seem like something obscene. Also, that girl they quoted needs to realize she's living in America and not Mexico and NO ONE should EVER apologize for wearing a symbol of America in this country... if it ever upsets you to see our flag.. no matter what day it is.. then you need to get the heck out of this country because the last time I checked, this was still America not Amexico.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

May 7th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL@ Amexico!!

You all are right, it is America, the teen boys probably had intentions to cause problems... BUT when does the right to freedom of speech start?
When you are 18?
You don't see (many) adults get into phyiscal altercations because they are protesting or speaking freely, why does it have to be different in school? Could give them the benefit of the doubt and MAYBE if some other child would have said something to them, they would have explained and casually walked away.

May 7th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to 3 Monsters View Post
I think if the boys were out there causing trouble then that should have been dealt with appropriately.. telling them to turn the shirts inside out so the american flag couldn't be seen because our flag would make other students upset and threatening suspension if they didn't turn the shirts, is uncalled for and makes our flag seem like something obscene. Also, that girl they quoted needs to realize she's living in America and not Mexico and NO ONE should EVER apologize for wearing a symbol of America in this country... if it ever upsets you to see our flag.. no matter what day it is.. then you need to get the heck out of this country because the last time I checked, this was still America not Amexico.
complete and total ditto love Amexico

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

May 7th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow, I see a lot of you feel the same way as me. Lots of my friends have posted this on facebook and what not, and they are all 100% against the school. While I don't agree with the decision made, I think these boys were definitely out to cause trouble. The principal was in a tight spot, and had to make a decision on the spot, to try to avoid violence.
May 7th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouise View Post
Wow, I see a lot of you feel the same way as me. Lots of my friends have posted this on facebook and what not, and they are all 100% against the school. While I don't agree with the decision made, I think these boys were definitely out to cause trouble. The principal was in a tight spot, and had to make a decision on the spot, to try to avoid violence.
Yeah, well the thing that gets me is that most of the story is centered on what the boys in question said. And the girl never specifically said the shirts themselves offended her. Lord knows what those boys were saying, it could have been really unappropriate and that may be why she felt an apology was necessary. The board said that they don't concur with the decisions made but at this point they're going to do whatever they can for things to blow over. I still believe they're is more to the story, I'd love to hear the teachers and principles point of view, which probably focuses much more on behavior and much less on apparel. But that's just me playing devil's advocate I guess.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search