wedding rings

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2010, 04:21 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There was a recent discussion on the View about President Obama not wearing his wedding ring during his speech.

Do you think married couples should wear their rings at all times, regardless of how long they have been married?

Does your dh wear his wedding always? Do you?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

September 29th, 2010, 05:46 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
overall yes BUT
If dh has to do physical labor or run machines at work he takes it off. It becomes a potential finger remover to him. I'm much more concerned that he not lose a finger then wear his ring.
I take mine off if I'm handling raw meat. I put them back on after I've washed my hands thoroughly.
September 29th, 2010, 06:05 AM
ImustBeNuts06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't wear a ring and either does DH. We were very poor when we married, and bought some piece of junk metal just to do the civil ceremony with. Within a year, both rings were pretty much destroyed. We've been without rings since. We talk about getting rings when we get the money, but something always seems more important....like groceries

I think if you have a ring, you should wear it. Unless like the PP mentioned....a work hazard. Even with my junkie wedding ring, I took it off to do heavy cleaning, bathing, washing dishes, etc. In the end, it's about a commitment to each other and I don't think a ring should have to prove that. If Michelle is okay with it, who cares?

September 29th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you think married couples should wear their rings at all times, regardless of how long they have been married? Yes I do... except for certain circumstances where they become a safety issue.

Does your dh wear his wedding always? Do you? Brian wears his wedding ring all the time except for at work. He works in maintenance inside machines so it isn't safe. I wear my rings all the time except for when I'm cooking something messy. And right now being 9 months pregnant my rings don't fit, so I've just been wearing a plain band.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

September 29th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never do. Or hardly ever, anyway. I take them off when the stick turns pink because I had to get them cut off with #5. Then when I put them back on, they kind of annoy me. I love them, glad I have them, but I am not a jewelry person and it slips my mind. I have never forgotten I am married. DH wears his all the time since he took it off on the plane to our honeymoon and left it in the bathroom. He then had to sneak back and ask the flight attendants if anyone had found it. Now, 15 years later, he can't get it off if he tried. He would have to cut it.

Plus I kind of like it when I am big and pregnant and only have one or 2 older kids with me and it looks like I am pg and not married. Keeps me humble.
September 29th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you think married couples should wear their rings at all times, regardless of how long they have been married?
Um...no....of course not. I mean really it just a ring. Why do you need a ring to prove that you are physically and emotionally devoted to another person?
AND for what it's worth, I also think that if...let's say the wife...looses her wedding ring (and possible the replacement wedding ring as well) she should be completely forgiven and be allowed to pick a new ring. Just my two cents.

No, dh has to remove his for work and I...well....you know sometimes those things just slip right off without you ever knowing it, lol. However, I am wearing the bridal set that my dad gave my mom when they were first married. Basically, they have dust for diamonds but I love the vintage look. Let's all pray I don't loose this set as well!
September 29th, 2010, 07:41 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I have no opinion. I guess every married couple should do what works for them.
#12 is on the way
September 29th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
My hubby and I haven't worn rings in years, he stopped because it was to much of a pain to take them on and off for work and he was afraid it would get lost. I stopped cause they were just bugging me. I am not a jewelry person...much to his dismay.

A ring is just a ring, yes it symbolizes something, but it isn't the whole of a marriage....does that make sense? It does in my head.
September 29th, 2010, 12:48 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really care what other people do, but I would be really hurt if my DH didn't wear his ring. To me, it's a visible sign of our commitment to each other - a public declaration that we are bound to one another for life. We both wear ours all the time. I only take mine off to knead dough.

I wouldn't mind if DH couldn't wear it for safety reasons; like my Dad has never worn his because he's a farmer and there are just too many things it could get caught on and rip his finger off. But if that was the case, I think it would be cool to get wedding ring tattoos. I would kind of like to do that anyway, under our actual rings.
September 29th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't wear it around the house. I try to remember to put in on if I leave but many times I forget. Jewelry bugs me, I'd rather wear nothing. I haven't worn my engagement ring since I got preggo with the twins and my wedding ring doesn't fit when I'm preggo either.

DH is about the same as far as trying to wear it when he leaves the house.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

September 29th, 2010, 01:32 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtothe5thPower View Post
Um...no....of course not. I mean really it just a ring. Why do you need a ring to prove that you are physically and emotionally devoted to another person?
AND for what it's worth, I also think that if...let's say the wife...looses her wedding ring (and possible the replacement wedding ring as well) she should be completely forgiven and be allowed to pick a new ring. Just my two cents.

No, dh has to remove his for work and I...well....you know sometimes those things just slip right off without you ever knowing it, lol. However, I am wearing the bridal set that my dad gave my mom when they were first married. Basically, they have dust for diamonds but I love the vintage look. Let's all pray I don't loose this set as well!
LOL Cortney - I totally thought of you when I wrote this post this morning!!!

I wear my ring most of the time. Sometimes I forget.

Dh doesn't wear his. For safety reasons like the pp's - but when we go out or are going somewhere he will wear them.

It doesn't make us any less married.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

September 29th, 2010, 02:17 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I always wear mine but just so that I don't loose it, not because I'll forget I'm married.
My DH takes his off now and then because his hands swell or shrink or whatever. He has a replacement ring now because when our 2nd was in the NICU, he took his ring off to wash his hands, left it on the sink and someone took it. I still don't understand why someone in the NICU would keep someone else's wedding ring.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
September 29th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I always wear mine when I go out, like I put on my earrings and rings.

Dh never ever wears it, it's bent out of shape since he hooked it jumping out of a big truck, and won't wear one since while he's working (we have a farm). And since dh wouldn't remember his head if it wasn't attached to his body, there's no way he'd remember to put it on if he was not working.

If I am honest then I'd have to say that I'd prefer him wearing it, but I can understand why he doesn't.
September 29th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wear mine all the time...though when we were young and buying rings we chose bands for both of us (matching) and that is ALL I wear...no stone to cut me or my babies...nothing to "lose" nothing to get food in while cooking...it's simple...and it is pretty....I love it.

NOW....that being said...dh doesn't wear his...he can't at work so didn't wear the ring for the first like five years we were married....then he started wearing it again (and it was amazing how new his looked compared to mine that has been on my finger since the day we said I do) and then he went hunting....he got a deer....and was gutting it...and lost the stinkin ring in the middle of THAT...he went back to look for it but coyotes had cleaned up what he left behind....*sigh*...so we have plans of buying him a simple band off of overstock.com.

As for Obama....I guess it depends on his reasons for leaving it off as to how I'd feel if I were his wife....did he forget it? Did he lose it? Was he making a statement? Was he mad? THe first two would be obvious...I'd not be mad...the second two would make me angry....if there was another reason...I guess it'd depend....I am not sure I'd have noticed.

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
September 29th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we both wear ours whenever we leave the house--not in the home so they don't get gross. We both love our rings and are very proud to wear them.
September 29th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I usually wear mine when I leave the house. But when I'm pregnant I usually get to the point where they don't fit. Dh's ring has gotten to big and it has slipped off and gotten lost in the house before. We haven't gotten around to getting it sized so he rarely wears it. He puts it on sometimes though and is just real careful. It doesn't bother either of us to not wear them, we married regardless.
September 29th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
Dh and I both wear ours all of the time, I like what is symbolizes and if I were to take it off I'm sure it would disappear because I am really bad with jewelry and forever losing it.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 14, Xandria 12, Thayer 11, Alorah 9, Nathalia 7, Malayna 5, Sawyer 3 and Ryder 2
Make a pregnancy ticker

September 29th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't wear them.

Dh lost his in a pool before we even hit our 1 year anniversary and a couple years ago I bought him a $50 one and he lost that within a month. Sooo typical of him.

I wore mine for the first few years but it always bugged me cause I'm not a jewelry person. Then I was moving a dresser and it fell and smashed my hand against the wall and bent my ring!

I just keep it in a safe place as a keepsake now.

Last edited by Allisonjuly; September 29th, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
September 30th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not a jewelry person at all and live on a farm, so I don't wear mine around home. I always wear it when I go out. I like people to know we are married and I am proud to be my hubby's wife. As for DH, he never takes it off.

September 30th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My sister and I had this discussion a while ago, my dh is basically on the farm working and goes to the tractor parts and feed store. Her fiance will be working in an office, so there's no safety issue in wearing a ring, he'd be working with and around woman and he's a rather handsome fella, so if this was the case for me, then I would totally insist on him wearing the ring, or I would hope that he'd want to.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search