Just another vent about a snarky comment

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
Went to the eye doctor with all the kids Thursday. Not ideal, but you do what you have to do. I only have four so it isn't that big of a deal. Well, Bastian (8) goes in for his exam, comes out and Clara (18 months) starts whining and fussing while the eye doctor is trying to talk to me. I ask Sapphire (11) to hold her and he tells Sapphire to go take the baby for a walk in the other area. The eye dr. and I talk about Bastian and then he sits down, takes some more of my money (which is a whole separate sore point) and then the irritation begins...
Him "Your little one, she reminds me of my son"
Me (smiling "Oh yeah?" (usually people identify with her curly mop and tell me about their little ones that had curly mops)
Him - "Yes and when he would act out like that in public I took him to the car, strapped him in and then hid so he couldn't see me. I only had to do that three times and he stopped"
Me - "Oooohhh.... well, she's tired "
Him - "Well, she probably just doesn't get enough attention because you have so many kids. And this is probably the only way she has to get your attention. I suspect you feed into this or else she would not be doing it"
Me - "Well, all kids are different, my three year old is the most easy going kid you'll ever meet"
Him - "Well, I nipped it in the bud and my son is 33 now and never acted out after that"

So then I have this "Wah, I am a terrible mom" breakdown later when I get home. I talk to my neighbor, she asks how the eye doctor went and she was SHOCKED that he had the audacity to say that to me. It helped give me some perspective. I just don't think 18 month olds just are made for waiting rooms.

End vent.

October 10th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry. I would have told him where to get off. But then I ripped the head of the McDonald's drive thru girl over having to wait for the nuggets today. Maybe I shouldn't be giving advice right now.
October 10th, 2010, 08:32 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Seriously?!! I would have let into him. Isn't it nice that he was able to scare his child into thinking he was all alone so he would be good. WTH? It's a good thing he never had any of my kids. They would have taught him a thing or two about what kids are really like. I have a couple that are angels, and a few that are monsters and they all get the same amount of attention. There is a reason he didn't have a lot of kids. He obviously wouldn't have been able to handle it.
I take all 6 of my kids to doctor appointments and to the store and other places. I've only had 1 doctor who told me that next time I needed to leave my kids at home. I called and complained explaining that my oldest is only 10. I also switched doctors to someone who actually likes kids.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
October 11th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
WOW, that would have pissed me off! The nerve of him! I would have had a very not nice retort, seriously? Putting your child in the car and hiding? All so you "can teach them a lesson"? I would not be going back to that eye doctor.

I am lucky, ours is great! Cole even pee'd on their floor when he was potty training and all the did was laugh and get me some towels so it could get cleaned up, they would have cleaned it but I was already embarrassed so I did it.
October 11th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, , I'm sorry.
I hope today is better!

October 11th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Okay this has nothing to do with how many kids you have...I see people with only ONE kid in public and that kid is "fussy" or "acting out".

Please don't feel bad...that guy totally stepped over the line and take comfort in knowing people like that probably step over the line many times a day. You were kind in not being equally rude back to him.

Next time perhaps you could say "well maybe you have a perfect, well-behaved adult child now but too bad I can't say the same for your mother"....let him mull that over a bit.
October 11th, 2010, 09:35 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
J.e.r.k.
#12 is on the way
October 11th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I would have busted up laughing in his face! Seriously...trying to hide in your car so your kid thinks he is all alone??? I'm going to guess that even 30 years ago that guy still looked like a HUGE moron! Lmbo

Sorry, Jess, I don't mean to make light of your feelings but that guys parenting advice was the dumbest thing I've heard. And what makes it even funnier is he thought he was so clever!
October 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Alisonjuly nailed it!
October 11th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allisonjuly View Post
Next time perhaps you could say "well maybe you have a perfect, well-behaved adult child now but too bad I can't say the same for your mother"....let him mull that over a bit.
I hope to remember that one day if I need it

I decided I am going to change eye doctors. I always have problems when I give them my last name (it is hyphenated, you'd think I was the first person to ever hyphenate a name) they always get confused by our insurance... this is just the final straw I needed to push me over the edge I guess.

Thanks everyone for your support. It's like a virtual hug

October 11th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
people with no children and adult children have all the answers.

I would have been stunned, and then think of 10 things I coulda shoulda said later.
October 11th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
what a twit. I think you should have called your 18 month old back into the room and sat her on his lap for the rest of your visit. Tell him its illegal to lock 18 month olds in the car and run away. Loser. I'd have told him off, but I'm like that.

Lucky mother to five!

October 14th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Sassafrass's Avatar Running Mamma
What an @ss!!

Im sorry you had to deal with that.

Brady('97)
Olivia('98)
Gavin('00)
Jaiden('03)
Gage('05)
Sloan('10)
Silas('11)