Gotta find my routine before I go NUTS!!!

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The routine I had with the kids (which worked very very well) before Savannah was born has been blown to pieces. I had planned on just adding Savannah into the routine I already had.. which would have worked out great, EXCEPT.... I didn't plan on DH getting switched to night shifts starting the day after Savannah was born. He was working 8 hour day shifts Monday through Friday and now he's working 12 hour night shifts 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off. With driving time, he's gone from 4:30pm until 8am. So, for the last couple days, it's been just me at night with the kids... who haven't been sleeping well and just me all day with the kids while DH is sleeping. Savannah was sleeping 5 hour stretches, but now has been up every couple hours. The other kids all have coughs and are all stuffed up, so they've been up all night... that means I haven't been sleeping much at all. Then I get up at 6:30 so I can shower and get Noah ready for preschool. Brian does get home in time and takes him to preschool. Then Brian comes home and goes to bed. I get the other 2 "big" kids breakfast, changed/pottied, and dressed. I get Savannah fed and changed and dressed. I take all three to go pick up Noah at preschool at 10:30. Come home and give them all lunch. Get the "big" kids down for a nap.. which they do everything they can to avoid taking. Think I can FINALLY get something to eat since it's almost noon and I haven't had time to eat and just as I sit down to eat, Savannah starts screaming. So I take care of her.. take bites of my sandwich in between. The other kids are up after an hour. I help Noah with his preschool homework (yup.. they get homework) and keep the other 2 occupied with a craft or something similar and just pray that Savannah keeps napping until we're done. Make "supper" way too early so DH can eat before he leaves for work and has something to take to eat at work. Wake DH up at 2:30. Go in and wake him up again at 3. By 3:30 I'm ticked and go yank the covers off him and tell him to get his *** out of bed because I have better things to do than be his alarm clock... which he turned off when it went off at 2:30 by the way. And then I feel guilty for yelling at him because he did work all night. In between there find time to do laundry, dishes, pick up the house, take care of the dogs, pay bills, and even go to the grocery store with the 4 kids. I have GOT to find a better way to do this... it's only been a week since Savannah blessed our family and I'm burnt out and exhausted already!! I NEED my routine and need to find it fast!!

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

Last edited by Mama to 4 Monsters; October 19th, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
October 19th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
big breath, can you skip one or two preschool days this week? That will probably help immenselly. These early days are tough, baby needs to sleep more, big kids need to get back into good sleep routines. Crafts sound like a nice to do right now, but I'm sure its creating more work for your sleep-deprived body. I'd skip the crafts and a few days of preschool, and get dh to pick up groceries btwn shifts. You're no good to your kids if you're a burnt out wreck.
October 20th, 2010, 04:14 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Marie. I can relate because my husband is on night shift too but I don't have a newborn to deal with. I would focus only on the kids. Skip groceries (let dh get them), preschool, and sleep more! Naps for everyone!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

October 20th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We had our fourth in June, and it took me four months to get back into a routine. Yes, four months. In the meantime I just did the best I could with keeping everyone cared for and happy during the day. I did a lot of my housework late at night after the kids were in bed and dh was home to help.
October 20th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Your baby is so little, give it time, it get's easier as you go along and the baby starts finding her routine. Your schedule sounds a lot like mine. Dinner done by 2:30 husband up and out the door, and the having to wake him up 15 times before he actually does. I swear it was something I could have posted! As I said give it time, in a few weeks you will start to see everything fall into place again.
October 20th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
Ditto what Marie said. And BIG HUGS! It will all work out

October 20th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Can you ask that weird guy down the street to help?
J/K

I think it will work itself out soon enough, you just got home for goodness sake. Just make things as simple as possible. maybe you can give the big kids lunch in front of the tube and put the baby in the swing so that you can get a break and eat.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

October 20th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
hugs to you. I have nothing to add to what's already said, but I guess sometimes those first few weeks (and months) are just about surviving.
October 24th, 2010, 04:46 PM
escowood84's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to escowood84
I am feeling the same way as you and I don't have a newborn my husbands working nights for 2 wks and I am trying to juggle every thing alon ( I hate being alone). I like to throw things in a slow cooker or something like that and take the kids to the park or something to get all the crazy out of them then we get home they have a bath eat and bed. My kids also like to do homework at our park because they know as soon as there done its play time. Good luck
October 24th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Everybody!! Noah did miss a few days of preschool in there, but I don't really want him to miss too much because he missed a week and a half right before Savannah was born because he had the flu. When I said I keep the other 2 kids busy with a crafty type thing while helping Noah with his homework, I mean I gave them crayons and a coloring book LOL.. to me that's crafty. Art was never one of my best subjects I had planned on making meals like Lasagna or Chili that could be cooked up one day and always leaves us enough leftovers to heat up for the next day, but since my microwave went out I can't heat anything up real quick and don't want to heat it all up in the oven since it's just me eating (DH packs his and takes it to work).. BTW it's pretty rotten timing for the microwave to go out the same week you bring home a newborn When I talked to DH about him stopping to get groceries, he suggested instead that he keep a couple of the kids at home and I take the other 2 and go on his day off... it's something at least I guess. I'm still pretty exhausted... it's all me, all the time and I'm running on about 2-3 hours of sleep a night if that, but DH is off the next 2 days so hopefully I can get a break or at least a little more time to sleep in there sometime.. although I won't fully count on it considering on his last day off he got up before me and when I got up and told him I was just exhausted he didn't understand why I was so exhausted because... "You got at least 3 hours sleep last night and that's more than you've been getting, so you should actually feel rested." I pride myself in having the willpower in not strangling the man.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search