Selling a house with a large family? Yikes!

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Have any of you went through the home selling process while having 4 or more kids? Was it a nightmare? Any tips?

We are planning on #5 soon but there's a chance we will be moving per dh's job this summer so I will be pregnant if it happens. The idea of trying to get and KEEP this house in selling condition frightens me

So far the only idea I've come up with is renting a storage locker and hiding away most of the toys so cleaning up their things is easier ???
November 7th, 2010, 06:15 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wish I had some advice for you - but I have never had to sell a house with so many kids. I don't know how I'd do it either. We would probably have to move out so the house would stay clean.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

November 8th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Double yikes! I guess what we're about to do is unheard of!
November 8th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am not sure but we may be in the same boat soon. DH is looking at another job. Before we sell though I plan on going room to room and getting rid of everything that we don't need. I will box it up to sell in a moving sell or send it to goodwill. If we still are looking like we are busting at the seems I will rent a storage locker and put everything we can live with out for a while in it.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

November 8th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Veteran
When we moved 5 yrs ago it was a sellers market, so we were lucky that we only had the house on the market for about 2 weeks. Definitely rent a small storage unit. It will make things so much easier.

Store anything that cant be completely put away in 5 minutes, and anything that tends to get strewn about (legos, blocks, whatevs in your house). Keep the least amount of clothes in the house as you can realistically get by with. This will kepp laundry from backing up, and will keep the closets looking better. Same with dishes-I packed all but 1 set of dishes, and washed immediately after every meal.

I am sure there are tell tale signs you have multiple children, so you need to make sure they imagine the house as the perfect family home. Incorporate stuff you need to keep out into the staging. Do the kids have a table they use a lot? Keep it out, but put an expecially nice project out on it before a showing.
November 8th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did showings this Jan-March with four kids-it was brutal. Store as much as you can before hand, get as much clutter out of the house as humanly possible. Then get a big bin and store anything that you find on the floor for short-notice showings-push it into the closet.
Empty out closets, leave two coats-everyone looks in closets, everyone. They know you have kids, but they do not want to trip over toys and stuff as they look around, it distracts them from the quality/personality of the home. Have very little on the kitchen counters, you want to make your kitchen and bathrooms look huge.

Minimal furniture, and minimal nicknacks, and little on the walls-all distractions. And good luck for a quick sale with min hassle!
November 8th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks! You guys are giving me some good ideas! So it looks like the storage thing is my best bet.

As I was having the kids try on snowpants and boots today I was thinking at least it won't be winter when we do it so all the mittens etc. will be in that storage locker that seems to be getting bigger and bigger each time I look around this place! LOL
November 9th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Definitely do the storage thing. We had 5 when we sold our house by owner, almost 6 years ago during the boom here. I don't know what the Australia market is like right now, but here I wouldn't try to sell a piece of gum, let alone a house right now!

I did store almost everything, had the walls painted a nice off-white, and put in bright lightbulbs. The kids were usually there when we showed it, but they had been trained to go play outside. The family who bought the house came once by appointment, so everything was fine. Then a week later she called me from my driveway in the middle of the day, when I was babysitting 3 kids. I told her I was happy to have her in, but she was not allowed to judge me! They bought the house the next week. It was a great experience. Make sure your kids know what to expect and what to do.

Have fun! It was one of my favorite things we have done.

Wait, the thing says you are in Maryland. I thought you were the Aussie. Who is the Aussie?
November 9th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
These are great tips. I have no advice but am interested in this topic as I may want to move with 4 or 5 sometime (maybe when I can actually sell the house )

November 9th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, the market is terrible right now otherwise I wouldn't be so frantic on how to do this LOL But the move would mean a better life for my kids in a different state so it's worth it.

We have two saving graces on our side which we hope will help. One of which is a government thing that's bringing in thousands of jobs this winter and we live only 3 miles from the location. We bought this house because dh works there so hopefully another government family will do the same.

Luckily we don't owe as much on this house as most people do in the neighborhood since we bought back in 2002. We should at least break even!
November 9th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We moved when number 6 was 4 weeks old. It was really tough. We sold in 2008 (which was the worst year for sales around here). We listed our house, had two shows that day and an offer that night. Our agent told us to expect a year to sell, so everyone was shocked. God had His hand all over that one. But I wish you the best of luck, it can be done. We moved stuff to a storage unit after we had an offer. We left our home just like it was for the showings.

Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search