Heat question

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 11th, 2010, 09:50 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well - the oil man just delivered us 200 gallons of oil for our heater. It only cost us about $600 since oil was $2.99 per gallon.

How do you heat your home? Oil, gas, fireplace?

How much does it run you to do that?

What do you generally keep your thermostat set on?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

November 11th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
How long does that last you?

We are oil also but quit using it years ago, we went to electric heaters. It was costing us 200 a month in oil plus uping our electricity around a 100, doing it electric saves us about a 100 a month.
November 11th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
natural gas.

I keep the heat at about 62 when I actually turn it on I do bake more than usual, slow roast and do anything that creates useful heat. My bills are about $50 a month over the summer for hot water and anywhere from 150 - 350 (that was a BAD month)/month during the winter depending on a multitude of variables.

November 11th, 2010, 02:51 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2many2010 View Post
How long does that last you?

We are oil also but quit using it years ago, we went to electric heaters. It was costing us 200 a month in oil plus uping our electricity around a 100, doing it electric saves us about a 100 a month.

That oil might last us until about January. I hope it will last longer - but not sure. I would love for it to last until May.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

November 11th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We use gas.

Hard to say how much it costs, our farmbuildings and house are on the same bill.
November 11th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is it odd that I have never heard of using oil to heat a home? I've heard of propane tanks but not oil.

We are on natural gas. We only use it for heat so our bill runs 80 to 150 depending on the weather. I leave it on 74 most of the time. Then I have it turned off in the summer.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

November 12th, 2010, 04:12 AM
~Katie~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We use natural gas for the heat and last winter it ran us about 150 per month and it was cold last month...so it was on 78
November 12th, 2010, 06:08 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it was 200-300 last winter. Ours is gas. I think I had the thermometer set at 78* last year?? This year it's at 74* (programmed) then when it's particularly cold I push it up a couple of degrees. We have a very drafty old house.
November 12th, 2010, 08:07 AM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We use gas and I keep it set at 68 in the winter. Our bills in the winter average 150 a month

November 12th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by shari626 View Post
That oil might last us until about January. I hope it will last longer - but not sure. I would love for it to last until May.
That's what was happening to us, a 100 gallons would last maybe a month, sometimes a little more if I wasn't cold, this is when it was over 3 a gallon, so I got sick of spending so much and decided I would try something different for a month and see what our electric bill would be. I found that using space heaters and baseboard heaters actually cost less and kept the house perfectly warm but our house is fairly small and I am not sure it would work with a larger house.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search