When it comes to haircuts

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Veteran
... I am done being told how it should be cut.

Lily (my second oldest and only girl) badly needs a hair cut.

Fringe is in her eyes, and the rest is hanging down to her shoulders, maybe a little longer.

Basically it's now long enough to get into a decent pony tail, although to be honest she wears it down a lot.

But both MIL and FIL (and hubby on occasion) say it should be cut to below her ears....! Reasoning? Lily has really fine, thin hair and it will help it grow in thick.

I wont get started on my oldest. Needless to say his head has been shaved all one length, and I was wanting to get it done professionally, cause I wanted to get x-mas photos done with him with a nice haircut, instead of something done at home by FIL.
Caleb Orion b. 10th October 2008
Quinn Gilead b. 19th August 2010

November 16th, 2010, 05:49 PM
*~Amanda~*'s Avatar Hostest with the mostest
Send a message via Skype™ to *~Amanda~*
Their reasoning for Lily is absolutely correct. You would be suprised at how many times I have seen a little girls hair thicken up and grow better. In my 11 years as a stylist, I can't count how many times I've actually recommended cutting the little girls hair in a neckline bob, but it gets done and I would say within a year of maintain that haircut, the child's hair significantly thickens up.

As for your son, just take him to the salon and have them use a shorter clipper on the side. For instance, if he has a 6 used all over his head, it would be proper to use a 2 or 3 on his sides. Just leave the top length alone or have it lightly trimmed. That will give him a better looking cut.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

November 16th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, ultimately it is your choice but it sounds like it might be too late now. I would really hate it if someone had my kids hair cut without my ok.

My 5 yr old has really fine hair too. Sounds like I'm going to have to take her to get it chopped off. I really would like for it to thicken up a bit.
November 17th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Veteran
Well I went and got Lily's hair cut today, fringe and length trimmed and some layers added in.

All hubby could say about it, after he was done with Caleb's hair cut was "You should have got it cut shorter, I can't see a difference, and it grows far to quick"

Men are never satisfied.

As for my oldest... it's shaved to a #3 which is fairly close to the scalp that there's no real length to play around with. Will now have to wait until it grows out a little.

Hubby okayed that one, without running it by me first.

November 17th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
By cutting your childs hair chin length you are cutting off the ends that are inevitably thinner, hair grows from the inside, so cutting it off isn't going to change how it grows out of your scalp, it just appears thicker. That said, as mentioned in a previous post, getting the hair cut chin length a good place for a "fresh start" so to speak.

I would be really frustrated with everyone having such an opinion on my kids' hair (as if we need another thing to concern ourselves with) but I'm sure they look cute, hope you post your christmas picture sometime
November 17th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not allowed to have an opinion on the kids' hair. My hair dresser takes care of that for me. I am also not allowed to have an opinion on my hair. She handles that, too. But she is awesome and I look far better with her than I would on my own!
November 17th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by #5in2005 View Post
By cutting your childs hair chin length you are cutting off the ends that are inevitably thinner, hair grows from the inside, so cutting it off isn't going to change how it grows out of your scalp, it just appears thicker. That said, as mentioned in a previous post, getting the hair cut chin length a good place for a "fresh start" so to speak.

I would be really frustrated with everyone having such an opinion on my kids' hair (as if we need another thing to concern ourselves with) but I'm sure they look cute, hope you post your christmas picture sometime
Assuming we get pictures taken, I will attempt to scan them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search