question about vehicles and car seats

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 22nd, 2010, 08:38 AM
Veteran
Hi all, my name is Jenn. I usually post in the July 2010 playroom but I have a question that I think will be best answered here We have 5 children. They are 13 ( 14 next month), 11, 4, 2, and 4 months old. My 4mth old is in a maxi cosi infant bucket seat, my 2yr old is forward facing in a eddie bauer 3 in 1 and my 4 yr old is in a backless booster seat. Right now I have the baby and my 4yr old in the middle row captains chairs and my 2 yr old in the rear bench seat on the outter drivers side.
I have a 2002 ford windstar. We have no space, and the older kids are crammed in the back. They have no space at all.
We are thinking about getting a new vehicle and or getting different car seats that are narrower maybe? Then I can put all the little ones in the back seat, although I dont want to put the baby that far.

Anyhow thats my situation. I was just wondering what you all use for a vehicle and car seats?

-------------
Mom to:
Kailey (Dec 1996)
Jacob (July 1999)
Joshua (Sept 2006)
Gillian (July 2008)
Quinton ( July 23 2010)

November 22nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have my 1 and 5 year olds in giant Britax Roundabouts in the middle captains chairs. I figure when I have my 5th my 5 year old will have to go in the back center and squish the older two
November 22nd, 2010, 09:35 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ugh...I hear you on needing a bigger vehicle! Dh and I are searching for good deals on 12 passenger vans just so we will be able to add one more and let the other five stretch a bit!

My kids are 12, 7, 5, 3, and almost 2. We have the 3 yr. old in a Graco five point harness in the middle rear bench (I don't know exact model names, sorry!), 7 yr old is in a backless booster on the passengers side rear bench, 5 yr old is in a high-back booster on the driver's side (both Graco styles). The 2 yr old is in a Graco convertible in the driver's side captain seat and the 12 yr old either seats in the other captain seat or the passenger seat up front occasionally.
November 22nd, 2010, 11:40 AM
Jara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have 4 children and drive a Town and Country. My Children are 5, 3, 3, and 8 weeks.

I have my 3 older children in the backseat all in Sunshine Kids Radians.(all 3 in 5 pt harnesses) Then Lydia is in one of the middle bucket seats while then other is folded into the floor.
This is the view of the back of the Van

Wyatt(5) Lydia(2) Emerson(5) Kaeden(7)
November 22nd, 2010, 12:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh yeah...my 11 year old rides in the front passenger seat sometimes too. He's big for his age- only a couple inches shorter than me and over 100 pounds so we figured he didn't need to wait til he's 12.
November 22nd, 2010, 07:10 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
We have a Toyota Sienna 8 passenger Van. My kids are 10, 9, almost 8, 6, 5 and almost 3. In the back we use 2 booster seats. The 6 and 5yr old usually sit there with one of the older kids. In the middle we have a 5 point carseat, can't remember the name, then the other 2 older kids. We're gonna need another vehicle next summer, that or we'll be driving 2 cars whenever we all go together anywhere.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
November 22nd, 2010, 07:42 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids are 4, 2.5 and 20 month old twins, are all in 5 pt harnesses. I have a Caravan. Right now I have three seats across the back: a Graco Naut, a Radian, and a Britax Marathon-they're snug, but all are installed correctly. Then I have another Marathon on the 2nd row bench. That leaves me room for an adult passenger.

Marie's five kids are now 7,5,4,4 &2!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search