Question about bathtime

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 27th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A post in one of the other boards I visit got me thinking and now I'm wondering if I'm overprotective. How old were your kids when you started leaving them alone while they were in the bathtub? My oldest is 4 and I still do not step one foot outside the bathroom while he's in the tub.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

November 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Veteran
I think it depends on the child. My now 6yo requested for everyone to leave when he was still 5. My 4yo still loves for me to be in there and I do run out to tend to others if need be, but I leave the bathroom door open so I can hear him..I don't usually leave for more than a few seconds and usually not more than 2 steps out of the bathroom. He knows how to swim and hold his breath in the water and we only allow the water level to be to his belly button, so if he slips backward the water won't go over his face.
To me it really depends on the child and your comfort level with them in the tub alone.
Boys: 12, 8, 6
Homeschooling, frugal, finally not CDing, college student, co-op teacher, open minded, passionate momma who has been married to the love of my life for almost 20 years!!
November 27th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would leave a 4 yo alone if you felt he could handle himself. Trust him not to pour all the water on the floor etc. That being said, I shouldn't leave our 6 and 7 yos alone.
November 27th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Tam_87's Avatar Regular
My son was able to swim a pool length under water at the age of 2 so i had no problem leaving him alone in the bath tub + he liked playing in there somtimes for hours! I would have to keep topping up the hot water lol. I think it would depend on the child though.

Aussie Mummy Chat <3
November 28th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't remember with my older kids, with my youngest it was 4.
November 28th, 2010, 06:50 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I leave Zay (3) in the tub by himself, but I check on him every few minutes.
#12 is on the way
November 28th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have the four of them bath at once, the oldest is four, if they're not too wild I feel comfortable stepping away for three minutes, always within hearing. If the twins are playing "waterslide" on the recliny part, I sit just outside the bathroom to stay dry. My kids barely have 4 inches of water when they're all four in there together. The twins purposely dunk their heads in now.
November 28th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
My three year old can play in their while I am within ear shot.

November 28th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I feel comfortable around 5, but it depends on the maturity of the child.

November 29th, 2010, 12:22 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Totally depends on the child. Personally, if they are old enough to be left alone, then I make them take showers. My older kids still love to take baths with the younger ones but it's because they play, not because they are actually getting clean.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
November 29th, 2010, 02:51 PM
ImustBeNuts06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kierasmom View Post
I feel comfortable around 5, but it depends on the maturity of the child.
However, I don't normally give long baths....it's usually assembly line style.

Related topic...when do YOU stop bathing your kids?? It took my daughter forever to learn how to wash her hair, but it's on the longer side. I still wash all my boy's hair, but they wash their bodies. My boys are 6 (just turned), 5 (turned last week) and 3.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search