Grand Multipara!

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 29th, 2010, 02:30 PM
ImustBeNuts06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First, let me apologize for not being around too often here....if any of you remember me. I'm down towards the end of my pregnancy and feel so.......blah!

I came across an article about a woman that was pregnant with her 5th baby and ended up going 12 days overdue...holy cow! She mentioned other possible titles for her article one included "Grand Multipara." I remember reading a long time ago when I was on baby #2 something about this term, but had to google. I didn't realize I am now jumping to a whole different level with #5 here. So, as I googled (dangerous, I know), I started to see more and more sites that considered Grand Multipara moms to be at a higher risk than other moms. Even studies from the NIH. As I read into the studies, some of these "risk factors" made sense, but I wonder how often they really do happen.

Now, I learned first hand that as we have more babies, our uterus tends to loosen up a bit. This baby girl was heads down until 35.5 weeks when she decided to go breech.....sending me into a panic. I did tons of exercises and I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but she did turn again. Now, I sometimes feel like she is trying to flip breech again. So, yeah, I can understand the whole "saggy uterus" bit....makes me kinda feel like a cow, but whatever.

There were other risks factors that they claimed GMP moms were at higher risk for. Prolonged early labor, twice the need for assisted birth (forceps/vaccum), twice the risk for c-section, excessive bleeding afterwards, uterine rupture. Apparently this is all related to the saggy/over-tired/worn out uterus??? I've read about the increased chance of bleeding afterwards, but not so much the other things.

Honestly, I'm not really worried about most of these things. Although, my uterus is proving to be a bit saggy and roomy enough for my little girl to continuously flip. So, I wonder if I'm already at a very slight risk of uterine rupture (VBAC) if this would up my risk even more. Also, my OBs and midwife have never even mentioned anything like this to me. I was just wondering if any of my other Grand Multipara moms have been "warned."

November 29th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it just depends really. Mine have always been head down at delivery, so far. Never had any trouble with excessive bleeding after, which they say can also be a problem from an "over stretched" "worn out" uterus. I 've only had one assisted birth with vacuum and that was because they suspected her cord was wrapped around her neck and she was also face up so they wanted her to get out quickly. Her cord was around her shoulder and neck, that was with my 5th baby. My 6th had no trouble except for shoulder dystocia and I had that with my 1st 2 and a couple others and had nothing to do with how many kids I've had. That is also why my last 3 were c/s, history of SD and really big babies, turns out that was from undiagnosed gestational diabetes. My last doc was supportive but said I should only have 4 c/s because my risk for my bladder being injured during the c/s would go up. She also mentioned as I got older GD, which ended up already being an issue, and blood pressure problems could become more of an issue. I had figured we'd take each baby as they come and base it on how things look when they actually do the c/s. The doc I have now is good with that and doesn't have the "only 4" c/s idea. Now if he delivers this baby and gives us a medical reason to not have another then we will consider it. I'm sure my uterus is larger than normal and people are promising I'm going to have it "fall out" and I'll have awful bladder problems, but so far I'm just fine. People act like one day I'm going to fall over from problems from having so many kids. And maybe it will catch up to me one day, idk, I just find it hard to believe that one day it will hit me all of a sudden. But most of my 'warnings" come from family and friends who have no idea about it, much less my actual health. I feel like pregnancy suits me, and except for the normal discomforts of being 34 weeks pregnant, I feel really good! I am thankful to have been blessed with good pregnancies and recoveries. I know some of my friends have had only 2 kids and had much harder times so I believe it just varies with each woman.
November 29th, 2010, 10:16 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I wouldn't worry. It used to be normal to have 10+ kids and I don't think my Grandma ever worried about her uterus falling out. My SIL just had her 10th in March. They decided that was enough because It was her 3rd c-section with a v-bac after her first and they told her her uterus was really thin. I'm only on 7 but they were always more worried with age more than how many I've had.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
November 30th, 2010, 05:27 AM
ImustBeNuts06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies! I was just never aware that having more kids put me in any sort of risk category....and my doctors have never even mentioned it. I was just wondering if anyone's doctors have mentioned increasing risks. My mother was told after her fourth, that her uterus was rather thin...but she only had four. It never became an issue.

Anyway, thanks for your input on this.

November 30th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
My second flipped back and forth and the dr. said my uterus was stretched from having a big baby, so it can happen even with your second.

My sister has told me more than once that having too many babies will make me die young. She is like sunshine on a cloudy day and NOT a doctor. At all. I wouldn't even trust her to treat the common cold so I ignore her.

I never heard the term Grand Multipara but thanks for giving me some paranoia to keep me up at night

November 30th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am a grand multipara and proud! Throw in advanced maternal age ftw! Never had the first problem or complication. This last delivery, bleeding, and recovery have been the absolute best of all. Stop reading all the possibilities. The very worst case scenario is so rare and uncommon. I knew one lady whose uterus came inside out with the baby at delivery with her first. So rare the docs had medical books out trying to figure out what to do. Do they warn all first timers thiscould happen? Of course not! You will be great!
December 1st, 2010, 09:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hee! I'm a GREAT grand multipara now! LOL! Evidently that's the term used after 10...

Anyhow, I have had 11 perfectly healthy, normal pregnancies, labors, and deliveries, 10 of those lovely homebirths. My recoveries have been just and smooth and healthy as can be too. From the looks of the DDCs I've been part of, first, second, etc.. time moms are not exempt from the issues you mentioned either...

Take care of yourself, eat right, rest, exercise, and be sure to have a great birth support team...

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2