Presents

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2010, 06:16 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With a large family - I know it is hard to finance Christmas shopping and gifts in general. How do you do it?

Do you budget a certain amount for everyone or each kid gets a set amount?

Does each kid get a certain amount of presents?

How do you keep your kids from getting the GIMMES?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

December 5th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started early in Sept and capped out at 5 smaller gifts per kid, and one big shared gift. I also did stocking stuffers early too, just a few small things each week. Its really cut down the stress level this year. More kids has made me more organized this season.
Mine are all young, so its much easier. They like just about everything and don't really ask for much. I know that'll change.
December 5th, 2010, 07:19 AM
SnowAngel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This year we are going to do three presents. We are not overly religious but we wanted them to understand why xmas happens. But I think I might do one big present to share for the older two this year and a couple small gifts. Of course spoil the youngest.

December 5th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no idea what's going on this year really. My heads been all over the place w/ birthdays, Christmas and baby girl. I think we are doing 5 gifts each, no single gifts over $50 but primarily $10-15 per gift. Some a little less and some a little more but so far w/ sales and toy coupons I've been able to get most of what the kids asked for with in a decent price range. The four littles are sharing one large gift from Santa and my oldest is getting a bigger gift that is equal to 1/4 of the large gift the littles get. Then stocking stuffers which will be mostly needs not wants and each stocking filled will be less than $20.
December 5th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We do 3 gifts each for our kids and 1 shared gift. Our whole family draws names, and we go shopping with the kids where they pick something for their sibling (or mom or dad) that's about $15 (and they have to put a note stating why they love their sibling on it), then they get one gift that's a movie or game (something that's fun for all of us) and one thing just for them. I generally try to keep it around the same $ value, but I do make exceptions.(as long as it's not too obvious, like dd #2 got a saddle bag for $20 and dd #1 got reigns for $40, but they'd never know).

As far as a family gift, it's usually a wii game, this year we went kinda superextravagant, I have been coveting a cricut cutter for many many many years now, and finally found one for a price that I was willing to pay (but still a lot), but I know we will have loads of creative fun with it.

Mine don't really get the gimmies, we have never done extravagant Christmasses so they're used to the way we do it, we support an orphanage in Haiti, and so we send money there instead of spending it on our kids, and they all like that.
December 5th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I used to think that kids needed to be uber spoiled with gifts, I spent over $600 on Nolan's first Easter, seriously. Now that I"m the one to pick up all those crappy little toy pieces off the floors twice a day, I've been rethinking this toy thing. These four don't care what they play with, and if they want it bad enough, I buy it during the year anyhow or save it for their birthdays. I'd rather put the money in their education funds, or a family vacay.
I've had a huge shift in my thinking from 1-4 kids. Wow, with a fifth coming, they might be getting coal for 2011, lol!
December 5th, 2010, 09:17 PM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our are getting...something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read. Since my Dh still hasn't found a job everything will be in a lower price range but that's ok.

December 6th, 2010, 07:34 AM
ImustBeNuts06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You know, every year, we have no clue how we are going to do it. Then somehow we make it happen. This year, my DH was putting away a percentage of his drill checks in a savings plan. We pulled that out with the intention to use it for Christmas, and then we were slammed with some unexpected bills. However, a week later, he was handed two week orders for some training. Which meant, he got his normal paycheck, plus his military pay. I got nearly all of our shopping done with that. I still have a little bit more to do. In the past, I seriously over spent, only to have the kids throw the toys aside or end up destroying them. The last couple of years, I really sat and thought hard about what my kids actually play with.....and I bought accordingly. My 10 year old knows the truth about Santa. She also is aware how expensive it is to buy for so many kids.....and she was very understanding. I told each of the kids to make a list with the things they want most at the top of the list. I explained that Santa spends the same amount of money on each of them.......so if they select something really expensive, that's all they may get. My limit this year was $200 for each kid, but so far, I'm under about $30 per kid....and I'm leaving it that way. The extra money can cover their Christmas PJs and stocking stuffers. I told DH that we weren't signing up for the Christmas exchange with his cousins, but he came home the one day with names....ugh. So now I have to add that to the budget. My sisters and I have decided to not exchange our kid's names. Instead, we are pitching in to buy my mother a nice gift. Other than that, I don't have anyone else to buy for. I simply tell all the adults in our family that we only shop for the kids. My MIL gets offended every year....she really needs to get over it.

I think we will continue to put part of DH's drill check into savings. If we didn't have those unexpected costs, it would have worked out perfectly. Being due right before Christmas, has forced me to get my act together this year. In fact, everything is wrapped but the handful of things yet to buy. It will feel good to not have to stay up all night wrapping on Christmas Eve.

December 6th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I always think of all the new things taking up space in our house, our kids end up getting 6 gifts each, that's already 30 new things in the house!

My mindset hasn't really changed with more kids, I spent $25 on my oldest first Christmas. We never had much money in our starting out years, so I was used to not spending much, and now that I have more it still totally adds up without going crazy.

And Marie, I am curious what you all bought with the $600.
December 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I have a pic of N's first Easter pile, I'll dig it out.
December 6th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I have always tended to overdue it, more cause of the hubby, he wants them to get what they want. Which wasn't tp bad when we just had the older 4. Now though I have brought it back a little, and I am a hell of a shopper so that helps. This year I have told the older ones that they will be getting less and I will be focusing on the little ones, just like I did with them and that they are lucky they have done so well for so many years (cause of the little ones Santa still brings to them). They are fine with that.

And as #5in2005 said I look at stuff and think of how much more crap is getting brought in....on top of what the MIL get's and she always over does it. She takes them shopping and has them pick out everything they want and she buys it.
December 6th, 2010, 05:23 PM
ImustBeNuts06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassia View Post
Our are getting...something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read. Since my Dh still hasn't found a job everything will be in a lower price range but that's ok.
One of the moms in my playroom does this and I thought it was a wonderful idea!!! I love it!

December 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a limit per kid(which differs with age) so I don't overdo it. I don't really have a budget, but I don't want to spoil them.

December 7th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The 3 big kids are getting one big present to share, about 4 smaller presents each, and their Christmas Jammies. Plus stocking stuffers which are usually things like toothbrush, toothpaste, holiday pencils, etc

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

December 7th, 2010, 06:48 PM
cachex10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I try to keep things as "even" as possible. Money and gift wise. I try to spread it out over a few months of shopping. Last month I won some money in the state lottery (seriously, I never win anything so it was a huge shock!) so that's helped some!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search