experiment?????

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I heard someone say the other day that the first kid is the experiment, because parents are figuring out what works and what doesn't.

I'm not crazy about the term, and I think it was maybe true a little as babies (who cares if you're supposed to roll over at 4 months and you're not doing it 'till 6 months) but for me my kids are SO different that what one needed another totally didn't.

What do you think?
December 20th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think our first suffered the most, since we had NO CLUE what we were doing. I was told to feed the baby every 3 hours. Even if he was hungry at 2 hours as a nb. Not pretty.
I was also very rigid about starting solids etc exactly on time, though I see that people are still starting their 4 month old on toast, and seem to be doing just fine.

#5 is gonna be lucky if it gets solids before it has all its teeth

I use instinct and common sense more and more. Feed it if its hungry. Starting solids is super messy. Lessons learned

Lucky mother to five!

December 20th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I think this is somewhat true. Of course every baby is different I just think as we have more children our knowledge base grows. Of course since every baby is different we tweak certain things that worked but at least we have a little more confidence when we do it.
December 20th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
I joke to people that Sapphire was my practice baby. I don't REALLY think of her existence as a trial run for my other babies, but in a lot of ways I had more trial and error efforts with her than the others, so she did break me into parenting.

December 20th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would say the first is a very controlled experiment...too controlled LOL

I had about 6 baby expert books and I could quote from them. I was totally freaked over every milestone. And I shake my head over remembering how disappointed I was over his potty training and lack of speech. It breaks my heart to think of the pressure I probably put on him.

I am waaaaaay more relaxed now. Last summer my mom visited and made mention of how lucky Martin is. I really feel like he's the luckiest of the 4. Not only does he get a totally pressure-free childhood but he has 3 older sibs who love and care for him as much as his mom and dad.
December 22nd, 2010, 06:22 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with that a little. Marie - I was similar to you - I was rigid about the every three hours feeding even though my heart was telling me to feed her. I listened to my own mother and my MIL and there advice was outdated and went against my gut. By the time I had Erin I decided I was doing it my way and things went much smoother for me.

I still feel like Kelsey is my "guinea pig". I am flying by the seat of my pants - and parenting a teenager. By the time Erin gets to be a teen I will already know all the things Kelsey tried to pull on me.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

December 22nd, 2010, 08:30 AM
ImustBeNuts06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sure, the terminology is a little off...but still kind of true.

I know I went through a lot more trial and error with my daughter than any of my other kids. All I had to go by was what I read in the books......that was what I aimed for. Including trying to force her to sleep in her own crib and CIO at 3 months. I made a lot of mistakes and learned SO much from her. I feel bad, but she has taught me how to be a mom.....and let go....burn the darn books!!!

December 22nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
Veteran
I don't like the expression much. If i was using the term i could probably say that each of my kids have been an experiment as I worked out what worked best for them individually. I definetely had to learn more of the basic care things when my first was a baby but as for managing behaviours etc I've had to learn each time what works best for each child.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search