NB-infant seat or rf convertible?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2010, 09:41 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What are you using for your infants?
Do you have them in an infant seat, or are you hauling them in and out of their rf convertibles?
I sold my infant seats once the twins were done with them, so should I buy a new one, or just do the newborn haul in and out, considering I've got two bigs, and two potential runaways, who will be 29 mos when the baby gets here?
What do you do?
December 22nd, 2010, 05:02 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Personally, I would prefer the infant carseat. Faster in and out of the car because the baby is already buckled. Just pop them in and go. And you can set the infant seat in a shopping cart and not have to carry the baby which allows you to chase the others or at least your hands are free.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

December 22nd, 2010, 06:59 AM
ImustBeNuts06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always use an infant seat. For me, it's just so much easier to get them in and out of the car. Plus, they seem to fit the newborns better.

December 22nd, 2010, 10:49 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm using the infant car seat but I'm also a babywearer so I will also be buckling her in and out and wearing her in stores or wherever we are.

RF convertible would be more practical I suppose but the infant seat is the safest carseat your baby will ever have. (According to my pedi.) I won't put her in a convertible until she maxes out the infant seat. Its just what feels right for me.
December 22nd, 2010, 11:04 AM
Super Mommy
I don't understand why your pedi says the infant seat is the safest seat your baby will ever have. All seats are equally safe as long as they fit the child, are installed properly, and are used properly every time. I'm very curious as to why he thinks that. I think pediatricians should have to take the CPST course, because they misinform A LOT.

Anyway, I use an infant seat as long as possible and then RF my kids as long as their seat allows.

Thank you JMC1988 for my siggy!

December 22nd, 2010, 11:35 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^ That's what she said. This was when #3 was about 9 months old. She was a tiny little thing and we had consulted the pedi about it. The conversation of carseats came up because I was curious if I should go ahead and switch her to a convertible even though she still fit in her infant seat. Pedi said no that that was the safest and most protected that she would be and we should take advantage of it while we could so we did.
December 22nd, 2010, 03:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Savannah has an infant carrier but come the end of January we're getting her a convertible.. only reason we're switching her this soon is because we HATE the infant seat we have otherwise she'd stay in the infant carrier longer. We used the carrier with all the kids until they could sit up on their own in a shopping cart.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

December 22nd, 2010, 05:48 PM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Maybe your pedi didnt realize that convertible seats rear face and forward face, so she/he said infant seats are safer since they rearface?! As long as the baby fits right the seat is safe. But just cuase a convertible says 5-40 pounds rearfacing, doesnt mean its a good fit for a newborn, just remember for rearfacing the straps need to be below the shoulders and forward facing is above the shoulders.

December 22nd, 2010, 10:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I use an infant seat because it makes getting in and out easier and the baby can stay in the carrier if we go in a store or something.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

December 24th, 2010, 08:33 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Infant car seat.
December 26th, 2010, 08:22 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I love the infant carriers. I bought a swing that fits the infant carrier car seat just so I don't have to wake the baby when we get home. It's also really hot here in the summer and the car seats get burning hot in the car. In the winter, it's too cold to take a baby in and out of the seat. I try to keep my kids in them as long as possible. Usually until I can't carry them anymore.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
December 27th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
convertable. Whenever i go anywhere baby ends up in sling or ergo, runaway(s) go in stroller, more responsible bigs walk

December 27th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thanks girls
I love the term runaways, lol!
I will go with the infant seat, just have to decide if I'll go with the 22 or 35lb one. My three boys were back-breaking by 22lbs, so that's prolly enough again this time, our kids aren't tiny

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search