Kids that ruin it

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 22nd, 2010, 05:33 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have other kids told your kids that Santa's not real? How do you handle that with your child?

Andrew (in 2nd grade) has had several kids telling him that Santa's not real. Why do kids have to do that?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

December 22nd, 2010, 05:51 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't do Santa.
December 22nd, 2010, 07:41 AM
ImustBeNuts06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 6 year old had suspicions because of some kids at school. I told him that as long as you believe, Santa is real and SANTA will bring you gifts. I'm hoping to get at least two more years out of him. My daughter was 8/9 when she really started doubting Santa. Last year she finally admitted to me that she was on to my game.......so she became an elf...lol

December 22nd, 2010, 11:12 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't teach our kids about Santa. When they went to public school I told them that Santa was a fictional character that some parents tell their kids is real and brings presents. I asked them to avoid conversations that involved Santa. Never was an issue. I wish people would have the same respect for those that don't teach it. I hate it when I'm in a store and someone asks my kid what Santa is bringing them.

December 22nd, 2010, 12:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Santa is not a thing in our house really either, we never talk about him, but when my oldest was 6 she wrote a letter to santa and left it on our Christmas tree, so "santa" wrote back and she thought is just magical. Magical untill she came home from school that day, and some kid on the bus told her Santa wasn't real.

It was probably the same kid that told her Po (the telletubby that was her baby and that she loved) was for babies and resulted in her never looking at Po again.
December 22nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't do "Santa" either. I teach our kids the idea of santa. We help others and are santas to others, but there is no big guy in red. I think teaching it that way has helped them at school. They haven't told kids there is no "santa," but they still believe in....the spirit of santa and go along with all things in school santa related. In fact, Ryen was really excited to be someones santa this year. She kept asking when we're going to take toys to other kids.

December 22nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We still do santa but not to the degree that I did with my first. We had her so convinced that she wouldn't believe anyone that tried to tell her other wise, even us! In fact, she still wants it to be true and she's now 12. She's coming around of course but I feel so bad about it so now we don't talk about santa very much at all. We just leave the gifts out Christmas morning that say from santa and leave a treat the night before but I've stopped the other stuff.

My 7 year old knows the truth already. He figured it out on his own, his always kinda been the realist of the family. However, when his five year old sister started asking about it this year he couldn't stand the thought of her not believing so he told her the kids at school were just being mean. Such a sweetheart!

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

December 22nd, 2010, 03:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We haven't run into that yet, but once one of the kids starts questioning it, I'll explain to them the idea of Santa. My grandma told me there was no Santa when I was 6 and then my brother's TEACHER told his whole 1st grade class that there was no Santa... man oh man was my mom livid! You ask her now and she'll tell you that she still believes in Santa and that there's no harm in believing in a little magic.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

December 22nd, 2010, 07:47 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We do Santa. If the kids don't believe in Santa by finding out the truth, then they cannot tell the littles, or else they forfeit their rights to their stockings and Santa gifts. A few friends do this, and I will be implementing it.
Don't believe, its cheaper for mama!

Lucky mother to five!

December 22nd, 2010, 08:15 PM
Veteran
I've tried to teach my kids about St Nick and how santa is just remembering his generosity, but they still seem to have gotten the north pole, red coat version from tv and school. I don't make a big thing of it and they still get some small things in a sack from santa. My kids realised that the santas in the shops weren't real santas and just telling them that they were people dressing up to remember the ideas or generosity. I was woried that my oldest would tell the other kids at school that santa wasn't real but he chose to believe them instead.
December 23rd, 2010, 07:47 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't believe a teacher would do that! If I were your mom I would have been mad, too. As much as I don't do Santa for a variety of reasons, I would never tell someone else's kid it isn't real. We have told our kids not to mention it to other kids at all. But I will say we aren't as adamant about it not being real with the younger ones, so while I don't think they think it is real, I don't think they would argue about it with someone who thinks it is. If someone asks them what Santa is bringing they answer with "I don't know". Some of them just stare at the person and don't answer anything at all because they are ridiculously shy. I don't know where they get that from. Certainly not me.
December 23rd, 2010, 08:25 AM
Veteran
We had a neighbor boy tell our son (then 8 now 15) that Santa wasn't real. I sat my son down and explained to him that yes, Santa is very real, Santa is your Daddy! Without him working so hard there wouldn't be any gifts under the tree Christmas morning. Then I walked across the street and had a nice talk with the neighbor boy's mom Because my oldest remembers how that felt, he's never spilled the beans to our other children. But our 8 and 9 year olds found out last year on the school bus and again I explained it the same way. They've also been warned that if they tell the younger ones "who" Santa is....they too will lose their gifts for Christmas morning!!
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
December 23rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
My kids still believe in Santa, just like we believe in Fairies and Monsters. They are only kids once and I'm going to drag it out as long as I can. My kids have come home saying that other kids told them Santa isn't real and I have always told them that they can believe whatever they want, but if I ever hear them say that Santa isn't real, then there will be no reason for Santa to bring them gifts. They pretend to believe even if it is for the benefit of the younger kids.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
December 23rd, 2010, 01:49 PM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I wished parents would really explain to their kids not to ruin it for others. I know my 9 and 6 year old have questioned it but they really want to believe so they do. I told my older ones when they were 9/10 not cause I wanted to but because they were getting out of hand with what Santa was bringing for them. Now my older elves help and work hard at keeping it alive for the younger ones. I have also changed the way I do things with the younger ones so that I don't have to have the discussion with them...before they are ready. My mom always said, so long as you believe Santa is real then he is, I always believed even when I knew the truth.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search