Handling it all

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2010, 08:09 AM
Veteran
Hi Ladies!
I used to post occassionally over the summer, but then life got a little too hectic for me to find any time to keep up. On 11/11 I gave birth to our 6th Little One. She's an excellent baby and such a wonderful sleeper, I really have no reason to complain....But, I find myself having a really hard time handling everything on my own. My Hubby works a lot, he leaves around 7:30am and doesn't get home until after 5pm, but is on call 24/7, even holidays. So, at any moment if his phone rings he's out the door and gone again for a few hours. Keeping everything organized, doing housework, laundry, getting ready for Christmas, potty training, homeschooling and still having some energy left over to spend time with the kiddos is taking it's toll on me. All my children are acting out in one way or another and tackling the discipline department from all age groups is exhausting.

Could anyone offer any advice or encouragement to help me get through this?

Thanks Ladies
Becky
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
December 23rd, 2010, 10:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
pray, momma, just pray when ever you get a moment. and realize that it will not always be like this. i dont have any specific advice or steps to follow except just try to keep things going in the direction you used to and choose your battles.

~~terre~~
December 23rd, 2010, 10:55 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have little to no advice, other than to be consistent, and be gentle with yourself. You're only human, and none of us has super powers.
Mine are all four and under, which I know is prolly easier than having older kids in the mix, as I know they can help some, but they also add a new element of drama to the mix.
Are the older ones helping as much as they could be? I'm not asking them to do things above their responsibility level, but as they mature, they should be doing their chores, and helping some with the littles.
Great in theory, harder to implement on your own, I know.
December 23rd, 2010, 12:45 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Definitely make the olders do a lot more. I had my #8 on Nov 12! I don't do much housework at all. I do run the laundry, but they fold it and put it away. The littles don't do a perfect job, but it is better than me doing it! The girls do the dishes, the oldest girl cleans the main bath. The boys take out the trash. The rest I just assign on an as needed basis. I know how you feel though, about adding in the new one. But she just turned 6 weeks old. Working moms don't even go back to work yet and you have been trying to keep up with everything you always did? I stopped homeschooling the day before mine was born. I will start again after the 1st. Focus only on the HAVE tos. And there aren't a lot of them, I can assure you. We have done almost nothing since baby was born and I have been very happy. Best wishes and keep us posted on how you are doing. Take a break! I also only plan dinner. The big girls make breakfast and lunch. And I said plan, I don't always make.
December 23rd, 2010, 08:06 PM
Veteran
Congrats on your newest blessing Farmers-wife

Thank you all for your help! I definitely haven't been making the olders do what they should be doing and I've been so worried about making the 180 day mark (our state's requirement) for homeschooling that I wasn't willing to take more than a week break....until now I guess I need to just lighten up on myself a little and start deligating a bit better than I have been!

Thanks again
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
December 23rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with FW. My oldest is 6 and all my kids have chores, even the baby! It's more of a game to him, but it helps. Give yourself a break, we all need one at some point.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search