Would you go?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Every year we plan a vacation for May down to Florida (we live in Indiana) with my side of the family (my mom, 2 aunts, and uncle). We weren't able to go May 2010 because DH lost his job in September 2009 and even though he got a new job within a month and a half, he didn't have any vacation time come May, so we didn't go and planned for this year. Well.. we just found out a couple weeks ago, that all the vacation time DH had been saving will NOT roll over into next year (which is opposite what we'd been told months ago when we asked). And since the way they do vacation time is ridiculous, DH won't have enough vacation time come May for us to go to Florida. Actually with the way they do vacation time, he wouldn't have a full weeks vacation until next December.. 2 weeks before the end of the year.. and then he'd have to use it before the end of the year.. makes no sense to me and he's pretty ticked off about it since that's not what they told him about vacation time when he was hired. But anyway.. I'd pretty much figured we weren't going to be able to make Florida work this time either (or really, we won't be able to make it work any year as long as he's still with this company). Well last night on our LONG drive home from Wisconsin (visiting DH's family for Christmas) we were talking about it, and DH told me I should still go with the kids. That he'd rather I still went with the kids and upheld what we promised them and that it wouldn't bother him at all if we went. He said he'd stay home with the dogs so we didn't have to worry about a dog sitter and work a couple extra days so we had a huge check. Then we could put all the overtime money away he earned that week and save it for a time later in the summer when he had a couple days vacation saved up and use them along with one of his 3 day weekends and go up to Wisconsin Dells as a family and get his family to go there too (they live close to there). I think it's a good idea because then we get time with both his and my family and the kids get to see both sides (we don't see Brian's family that often), but I'd just feel so so guilty for still going to Florida without him.... and it definately wouldn't be the same without him there. My mom and aunts want me to bring the kids and still go and my mom and one of my aunts would ride down there with me and the kids in my car so I'm not alone with all the kids (which would help on gas cost since we'd be splitting it 3 ways and help with the kids). I'm just not sure about going without DH.. I'd feel so so guilty that I'm in Florida and he's home working his butt off... although I would have all the kids, so the days he did have off he'd get to rest or go do whatever he wanted. I just don't know what I want to do.... Would you go? Would you feel guilty if you did??

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

December 29th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
Hmmmm... since you have other family going too I might do it. Especially since it is your side of the family.

And might I add your DH is apparently awesome!!

December 29th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJessie View Post
Hmmmm... since you have other family going too I might do it. Especially since it is your side of the family.

And might I add your DH is apparently awesome!!
Awesome? or he sees the possibility of a quiet, kid-free house for a week? LOL... Either way it is pretty awesome that he offered!

December 29th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I'd go, it sounds like a good plan.
December 29th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd go. I've done this many, many times during our 13 years married. I even did exactly what you're talking about. While pg with #4 I drove with the 3 kids down to Florida by myself for a mini-reunion of my side of the family. No regrets.
December 29th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, if you want to. I do not go to visit my family without my husband because of conflict and abuse. But hopefully that is not the case with you! I would go and have a great time and then go with him to visit the other side of the family like he suggested and have a great time. And he should have a sit down with the boss. Can he work through his vacation and get paid for it instead? Then, save that money, and take the time off unpaid?

And moreover, you should come to Florida because we need your tax money. Let me know what route you take and maybe I can meet you for a potty break!
December 29th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you should go-he'll miss you all like crazy, and you'd have a good time with the kids. You've got offers of help, and he told you to go, I say go!
December 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmers-wife View Post
Yes, if you want to. I do not go to visit my family without my husband because of conflict and abuse. But hopefully that is not the case with you! I would go and have a great time and then go with him to visit the other side of the family like he suggested and have a great time. And he should have a sit down with the boss. Can he work through his vacation and get paid for it instead? Then, save that money, and take the time off unpaid?

And moreover, you should come to Florida because we need your tax money. Let me know what route you take and maybe I can meet you for a potty break!
I don't have any problems visiting my family as long as I stay away from my dad... if I'm going to have to see my dad (or more to the point if I'm going to let him see the kids) while I'm visiting, then I make sure Brian is with me. He can work through his vacation time and get paid for it, but he has to work at least 28 hours per week or we lose our health insurance.. so if he just takes a week off and doesn't work, without vacation time covering it, we'd lose our health insurance.

We go over to Daytona Beach Shores for the week. We take 75 down to 10 and take 10 over to 95.

Without Brian there, my mom and aunts would pitch right in to help me with the kids.. they worry about stepping on his toes when he's there but they like to crunch on my toes if I let them LOL so I would have help. I think I'll probably end up going and just have to bring him back something really really special LOL

December 29th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It happens here in the summer (fairly frequently) that I am sitting at the beach with the kids while dh is working like crazy. I do feel guilty, but it's not like it would be more fun for the kids if we were at home, nor would it change anything for dh if I am sitting at home or if I am out camping.

Go!!!!!
December 30th, 2010, 01:09 AM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say GO!
Although I'm sure he will be missing you and the LOs like crazy, I bet he is also looking forward to his little man-cation(yes I did just make that word up) a quiet house, no kids & when he's not at work he can hang around the house in his boxers and watch all the sports he wants with no interruptions!!

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

December 30th, 2010, 07:54 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you should go too! It would be a nice break for both of you. He would appreciate you that much more after he fends for himself for a week!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search