Just out of curiosity

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Do you or have you:
CIO within reason 25 65.79%
Co-sleep 27 71.05%
ff 24 63.16%
bf or pump 31 81.58%
vax 29 76.32%
home school 11 28.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I want to get some ideas of what moms with more than 1-2 kids do:
I totally forgot to add: absolutely no CIO here

Lucky mother to five!

Last edited by Just_Marie; December 29th, 2010 at 09:54 PM.
December 29th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I'll be honest, we CIO here, and I do not co-sleep

Lucky mother to five!

December 30th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Veteran
Riskiing sounding uninformed, what does CIO stand for?
December 30th, 2010, 01:49 AM
nicolelogg's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyMoo View Post
cry it out
December 30th, 2010, 01:54 AM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyMoo View Post
Cry It Out... Don't worry about asking questions if you don't know about something, that's what we're here for... The only dumb question is the one left unasked...

We've done all but homeschool.
Kristion was the first to cosleep though, only because 1. BF was actually successful with him so it was easier to cosleep and bf and 2. we just didn't have the room in our bedroom for his crib, me and SO are heavy sleepers and were afraid we wouldn't hear him waking at night if he was in his room..

I do not do extended BF though, well I guess I should say I wasn't willing to do it. K was the only one that I had any success at all with BF, but at around 4 months we stopped.. supply dwindled and a few other factors..

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

December 30th, 2010, 07:50 AM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't CIO, I don't have any issues with those who do but it's not for me. We do co-sleep. I have never produced much BM so I pumped and FF for all but Sam. We vax but on a modified schedule, no more then 2 shots at a time and we delayed all shots until they were 6 months old.

We don't home school because I honestly don't have the patience to do it. I admire those who can do it!!

December 30th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Weve done all but homeschool (and we are on the verge of that with DD1).

Every child has required different things from us. Some need to co sleep, others have wanted to be put in bed alone to fuss or they would never fall asleep for the night (#2 would cry until I put her in her own bed and then whimper a fe wminutes and sleep the full night at 6 weeks old. She REFUSED to co sleep- i thought she was broken!). #5 had to have formula, she just wasnt thriving on my milk and by contrast 2 and 3 were absolute dough babies by 4 months on nothing but my milk. Some of my kids are vaxed, some are not- once again it's dictated by the child's needs.

The more kids weve had, the more it's confirmed that there is no formula for our family. We just do what we think is best for that child (with in reason)

December 30th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We definitely let them CIO. I don't co-sleep because I don't sleep well when the baby is not in his bed. I will co-nap occasionally on the couch. I have FF the last two. I BF the first 6. I have done the whole gamut on the vax issue. #1 had them all, 2, had half, 3 had a quarter. 4,5,6 had none. Then I got 4,5,6 some. 7 had a couple. #8 will get the same ones that 4,5,6 and 7 have gotten. We have homeschooled since #1 was born. I can't even imagine having to follow schedules/times/teacher requirements for 3 different schools.
December 30th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We let them CIO after about 6 or so months old. I've never co-slept because I'm too paranoid about it. I FF all of my kids... didn't bf for personal reasons. All my kids have gotten their shots on time.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

December 30th, 2010, 08:13 AM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've definitely done CIO though I won't let a younger baby do it.
I've FF all the kids, after trying unsuccessfully to BF my oldest.
I selectively vax.
December 30th, 2010, 08:50 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't do CIO for babies ever. Co-slept, selective vax, and only gave #1 formula when I had to return to work and wasn't very versed in pumping. The other three have never had it. I was one who thought that extended breastfeeding was gross, until I found myself still nursing a toddler. I even found myself nursing two babies because they were so close in age. Funny where you find yourself sometimes.

I have never officially homeschooled, but did home preschool for all the kids. I still "homeschool" them even though they attend public school. I don't think school teaches them everything.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

December 30th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
I am a non CIO, co-sleeping momma, who has FF and BF. I do vax but I don't homeschool, I have thought about it but I really like those few hours of quite.
December 30th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't co-sleep until I had my 4th, she was a preemie and had an intense need to be close to me once she was home (she's still a total cuddlebug, so the wrong child to be in the hospital for 5 weeks). I pumped for those 5 weeks. (hate the pump)

I do bf, but not long, the longest I ever did was 8 months with my preemie(which made her 6 months adjusted, which is when I am done).

I am just going to be the complete minority and tell you all that I am a believer in vaccines, my kids get all of them, on time.
December 30th, 2010, 02:02 PM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We let them CIO, I FF my first 2 and EBF my 3rd. No homeschoool here. We vax and I have coslept with all 3 and still cosleeping with my almost 29 month old. Also I used cloth diapers for my 3rd for 9 months.

December 30th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Nolan: my first, the "trial" baby, lol! I rocked him to sleep for every nap and night until he was 9 months old. We EBF for 6 months, then straight to ff. I did everything by the book-or by six books and everyone's advice, lol! We started rice cereal at exactly 5 months to the day, I was a wreck! I never co-slept, since dh was always afraid of squishing him, and now I can't sleep with any kids in the room.

twins: ff from birth ( I met them at 3 months in NICU), each slept in their own cribs in a shared room since first night home, started solids four weeks later that suggested (too messy), and let them go at their own pace. I rocked them to sleep twice each the first night home, then it was self sooth and CIO from then on--what other option did I have with two? They are amazing self-soothers now!

Aug bean: EBF if not too hectic, CIO maybe-if it doesn't disturb the other kids, no co sleeping again, I can't handle it

Lucky mother to five!

December 30th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Super Mommy
i co-slept with #1 til she was 4(partly because when she was 3 i became a single mom and didnt have money for her own bed and partly because she slept with me since day 1) i bf and ff her, cio within reason and she had all her vax's on time.
#2 didnt come to us til he was 2.5yrs, so he sleeps in his own bed, and has been caught up on his vax's.
#3 came to us at 4months, he is ff(still at 18months), he has only had his 2month vax's and am on the fence about getting anymore,since he reacted to them. id love to co sleep with him but he is very non cuddly, and i let him cio within reason.
we are planning to homeschool DD next year.

December 31st, 2010, 07:54 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't use CIO. I co-sleep with the youngest(usually they move to their own space around a year old but Halleigh is still co sleeping most nights). I would like to BF, but have never been able to create much milk so I end up FF. Delay and selectively vaccinate. I homeschool.

January 1st, 2011, 12:45 AM
Veteran
I let them CIO within reason from about 6 months. I don't co-sleep ( I would never get any sleep if they were in bed with me) I vacinate, I bf until they were around 12 months. I topped up with ff my first while I increased my supply but didn't need to with the others. I havn't homeschooled so far but am really thiking about it. My dh doesn't like the idea so we haven't done it, but I'm hoping to help him see the merits of it over the next few months.
January 2nd, 2011, 08:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
The more kids weve had, the more it's confirmed that there is no formula for our family. We just do what we think is best for that child (with in reason)
I totally agree

January 3rd, 2011, 09:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We CIO....but with each kid there were different needs. Emelia, IMO, never would have slept through the night if we hadn't. It took her only 3 days. We co-sleep when needed. FF and BF, but the longest I've BF is 8 months. We vax, sometimes. We haven't been able to afford it lately. Wyatt needs his kindergarten shots. Lucy hasn't gotten them since 15 months and Ollie hasn't had any. No homeschool, but I want to.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search