Advice Please.

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Six in the City
Hello everyone! I lurk on here from time to time but get so distracted with the kids I have a hard time keeping active. Anyway, I was wondering if you ladies wouldn't mind sharing how the sleeping arrangements work in your household when you have a large family? Right now my husband and I have 3 children and want more but everyone around us (well most everyone) gives us negative feedback about having more kids and it always comes back to the sleeping arrangements. So I was wondering- am I the only one that doesn't believe is limiting your family size just because you might have to have your kids sharing a room (2 to a room)? We are going to be looking at moving in a year or two but we are really picky about where we will move because if we buy we want a house that we can fit comfortably and all houses are built for the smaller families it seems. Anyway- so part 1 of my question is just do your kids share rooms? If so, do you ever run into issues and comments from family members and if so, what do you say? Right now my oldest 2 are sharing a room because they WANT to and I've even asked if they wanted to be in separate rooms and they don't. They love sharing a room. I just feel like I am being selfish because I want more kids even though that means we might be sort of cramped in the house we are in now but it's do-able. Also, how do you handle peoples comments about large families? Everyone assumes that we are done having kids because we have 3 kids but we aren't. We've been trying for months and it hurts whenever I hear our family say that we should just be done. Like it's their business. I have always wanted a large family and I don't agree with the comments but I don't know how to respond.

Make a pregnancy ticker
Always missing our angels.
December 30th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my kids shared rooms even when we had enough bedrooms for everyone to have their own. They like sharing a room and when we tried splitting them up, they ended up having 'sleep overs' nearly every night.

December 30th, 2010, 11:01 AM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have three girls ages 12, 10 and 5 in one room (bunkbed and a twin), once Brayden is done co-sleeping he will move into the boys room. Then we will have to two boys sharing.

My Dh has a sister and that is all the kids in his family so he always had his own room. I on the other hand shared with my sister. He was so against the kids sharing a room and felt it was cruel. That was until we had 5 kids in a 3 bedroom, now he realizes there is nothing wrong with it. Our girls like being together and my DS won't sleep in his room all night because he is lonely.

December 30th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Six in the City
Thank you both so much! We have a 3 bedroom house as well and I hated the idea of holding off on having more kids just because the size of the house even though we can afford another baby. I know that we'd have to revamp how the rooms are set up so there was more room but it's not impossible and like mentioned- my kids hate sleeping alone as well. Right now my son and daughter are sharing a room- they are 15 months apart and are the best of friends. When they get a little older and start needing the privacy we will put them in gender specific rooms but right now they would be completely crushed if we made them not share a room.

Make a pregnancy ticker
Always missing our angels.
December 30th, 2010, 02:29 PM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a friend who had her second when I had my fourth. She would give me the hardest time about having three kids in one room. She really felt that was wrong of me to do. Fast forward a few years she now has three boys and one girl, guess what her three boys will end up sharing.

December 30th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have 4 girls in one room that is 10x10. 2 sets of bunks. I have 3 boys in the other room that is 10x10. 1 bunk, 1 twin. Soon, the baby boy will go in there with a port-a-crib. I share a room with my husband. In our old house, when we only had 5 kids, they were all in one room, we were in one, and my bil lived in one room. Room sharing is great. Don't hold off on babies because of rooms. And we have had more threads on "what other people say" than I have had babies. Other people suck. If they don't share your vision for more children, that is ok.
December 30th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Mine all have their own rooms, (and I do like it) but I certainly would still have 5 kids if we had a 3 bedroom house.
If the "hardship" a child is facing is sharing a room with a sibling then they're really not off all that bad.
December 30th, 2010, 06:17 PM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As for other people, tell them it is YOUR family and YOUR business.. If you and your dh want 1 more baby or 5 more babies, then have them!!

Our 3 boys share a room, sometimes they argue but they know that's just how it is. Bri shares a room with baby, well with baby's things b/c he still sleeps in our room.

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

December 30th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My 2 boys share a room and once Savannah starts sleeping through the night, she'll move out of our room and into the bedroom her and Aly will share. Just tonight my 4 year old told me he was sad for Aly because she didn't have a "bedroom buddy" and was in there all alone. Nothing at all wrong with sharing a room... heck... I never even had a bedroom until I was 17... My mom just put our beds (me and my brother) in the big open space outside the laundry room because we really only had a 1 bedroom house growing up until the finished the attic into 2 bedrooms and I was 17 by then.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

December 30th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 4yo DS and 2yo DD share a room in a jack n jill bunk-they'll stay that way for another two years. My 22 months old twin boys share a room, in separated twin bunks-I suspect they'll always share by choice.
In August, when the new baby gets here, we'll move the bigs to the basement, where they'll share a room--I don't know if they could sleep alone in a room anymore. The twins will still share upstairs with us, and baby will have his/her own room. Until we separate boys and girls-when the basement is done I'll have a six bedroom house, but I suspect they'll all choose to share. Bedrooms are for sleeping in our house, playing happens in the toy rooms.
I also have to share a room, and I'm fine At least the kids get their own beds!
December 31st, 2010, 09:49 AM
MIL2lissy8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my kids shared, for the most part. i had one in my room for a long while and in fact wyatt just moved back to his room this week -- and he is now sharing it with two cribs for the twins. i totally support ya on the room-sharing thing and on telling outsiders to MYOB.

~~terre~~
December 31st, 2010, 02:19 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I wish some of my kids would stop sharing. We have a 5bdrm house. There is our room which the new baby will share with us. One room is small and since we only have 1 boy, he gets that room, but every night he asks if he can sleep in the girls room. One room is big and we have 3 girls in there in a bunk bed and a twin although I'm hoping to get a loft bed to replace the twin. Everyone wants to sleep in that room. Another room we have our oldest dd and our youngest dd. There is a bunk bed but they end up sleeping together every night. The other room is now a guest room since no one wants it. My parents sleep there when they visit or my brother or whatever random family member comes over. I've tried to talk my kids into using that room but they don't want their own room. They think it's great that they get to share and subsequently end up sleeping in the same bed together. Growing up, I had to share with my sister and even my brother for awhile. When I went to college, I shared a room with 3 other girls. When I got married, I shared a room with my DH. I think it's normal to share a room.

As for what people say or think, just come up with some witty remarks and they won't say anything again. We joke and tell people that my DH is done having kids but I'm not or that we are trying again because we messed up on the first 6. I have a warped sense of humor so most of the time, people don't know if I'm serious or not and they never say anything again.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search