how do you deal..with laundry??

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Super Mommy
This is a big thing with me and i only have 3 little ones at the moment!! i have piles allll the time. My solution, 12shirts and 8pants each...plus i cloth diaper, and DH works the rigs so his clothes all come home for a week, 14days of clothes lol...grosser then poopy diapers clothes.
But anyways...do you have a schedule? or anything like that?

December 30th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a huge front load washer and dryer, so I do approx 2-3 loads a day--I wash all kid clothes together, and all adult clothes together, and then all towels together. I find that sorting it that way, means that eventually I get caught up with some things.

Lucky mother to five!

December 31st, 2010, 06:23 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
do laundry everyday. There is never a day where laundry is all caught up. I put a load in every morning. We also have a front load high capacity washer and dryer too. That's been a lifesaver!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

December 31st, 2010, 07:33 AM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a big front loader and we do laundry everyday

December 31st, 2010, 09:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a big front load too. I generally do one load a day to hang to dry in our furnace room (towels, jeans, dh's workclothes) and the rest I sort into 5 piles (black/browns, green/blue, pink/purple, lights and whites) and do those all in one day, wash fold and put away, so I don't have to deal with that for another 5-7 days.
December 31st, 2010, 10:57 AM
Veteran
We have a 10 year old set that fit our needs just fine....10 years ago Now, with 3 more Littles added to the mix we need something bigger! So....we are constantly doing laundry. I aim for 3 - 4 loads a day, sometimes only 1 load gets done and then other days 6+ loads get done. Finally, next month I'm going to break down and buy a set that's bigger!
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
December 31st, 2010, 03:02 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
We have an oversize top loader. I do laundry 2-3 times a day but there is a system to my madness. Each child has a dirty clothes basket. Each child has a day I do their laundry. Everything gets washed in cold unless I notice it's really bad, then I do a separate load for those clothes. Each day, that child's clothes gets put back and it starts for another child the next day. Much easier than trying to sort out each kids clothes and remember who's they are.
My dh does his own laundry and I do mine. I do cloth diapers, towels, sheets etc on different days too. Weekends I may do an extra load for things that got missed. So there is always laundry to do but it always gets done once a week.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
January 4th, 2011, 10:51 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
We have a oversized top loader and i do laundry every other day. I think i need to start everyday because sometimes it get overwhelming!

January 4th, 2011, 11:21 AM
RinkMom's Avatar Super Hockey Mom
I wash and dry 1 or 2 loads a day. The folding happens when/if it ever happens.
January 4th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Up until a month ago I could get by with 1 load every single day...sometimes 2 if I needed to wash bedding.

But now I'm at a solid 2 loads a day. Only thing I can figure out is that Martin's grown just enough (possibly all the kids) that his clothing is big enough to take up enough room to need that second load each day. I guess even if I don't have any more kids I can expect to eventually be doing 3 loads due to child growth
January 4th, 2011, 01:58 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Each kid has a laundry basket in their room, and we have one in our room too (plus a laundry chute in our private ensuite if the basket starts getting too full). I hate laundry so much I only do it once a week. I do all the laundry on Tuesdays, all day long. Except this week I did it all on Sunday, so I'm on holidays today! LOL Once the kids are in bed, DH and I watch a movie while I fold everything in the family room. I put each kid's pile in their basket, and we put it all away the next day.
January 4th, 2011, 05:49 PM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no system and need one badly.
I have an older top load that I got when it was just me and 2 kids, perfect for our needs then, now it's not so much..
My laundry methods are a little erratic, some days I can get it all done, some days nothing gets done. Usually I wait till the kids are in bed and I will do all the folding. Very occasionally K will nap long enough that I can get a few loads knocked out with folding and all. And some days it a matter of staying in my PJs until I can get some decent clothes cleaned and dried...

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

January 5th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
wow - i remember those days well! now for me, its easy. i usually wash on monday -- if lissy isn't using the washer for diapers. i wash my dh and mine together and add in wyatts to ours. i sort into two loads - light and dark. then i add in a load for towels and sheets etc. i fold immediately as they come out of the dryer and put them on our bed so they have to get put away that same day.

when my kids were younger, i started them washing their own at about age 12. that helped me a bit.

ETA: they each were assigned a specific day to take care of their own laundry too.

~~terre~~

Last edited by MIL2lissy8; January 5th, 2011 at 01:15 PM.
January 5th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'll be honest here and say that I am always way behind in laundry. I wash bedding at least once a week and towels I have a load a day. I need to teach the kids to just hang up their towels and reuse them the next day, but dh and I don't like to reuse towels either so I just do one big load of towels every day.
For clothes I usually go a few days without doing much unless someone "needs" a certain shirt or pants that are dirty, then I do a load which would include that. The laundry pile becomes huge and when the pile becomes a mountain I take a day or so that ALL I do is laundry. It's deffinetly not the wisest of plans and I'm always embarassed if someone drops by and goes into my laundry room and sees the mountain of clothes but we always have clean clothes to wear so I guess it cant be that bad.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search