Genetics?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2011, 11:52 PM
Veteran
Just a question on genetics... I'm a little curious...

When it comes to our four kids, hubby's strawberry blonde and blue eyes won out. Xander, Lily and Caleb have blonde hair and blue eyes. Quinn is definitely dark haired and will most likely have brown eyes. They are definitely not blue.

I myself came from a dad with brown hair and brown eyes. And my mum was blonde with blue/grey eyes.

Sister got blue eyes and dark hair and I got brown eyes and dark hair.

What's it like in your family?
Caleb Orion b. 10th October 2008
Quinn Gilead b. 19th August 2010

January 4th, 2011, 12:12 AM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our situation is a little different bc we're blended but here goes...
In my family both mom and dad's side all have blue eyes, at least all the immediate family, aunts uncles cousins grandparents etc. I took after my dad though with the dark hair, my mom has blonde. My sister has dark hair as well, but my little brother got the gorgeous blonde hair.
My older 2 boys both had super blonde fine hair that turned dark, though not as dark as mine, around 5-6ish, both have my blue eyes. Neither dad had blue eyes, one was blonde, one had dark hair.
Youngest has lots of dark hair and blue eyes, but he is only 6 months so we will see if that stays. My SO has dark hair and hazel eyes. His daughter has green eyes and light brown hair like her mom, his son has dark brown hair and hazel eyes. His son is a mini-me of him, looks exactly like him.

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

January 4th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mom- dark hair, hazel eyes. Dad- brown hair, blue eyes

Brother1- sandy brown hair, blue eyes
Brother2- dark hair, blue eyes
Brother3- blonde hair, blue eyes
Me- dark hair, blue eyes

Dh has brown hair (lighter than mine) and blue eyes (again, a lighter shade than mine)

Of the 4 that are genetically ours...
2 have sandy brown hair, 2 are blonde, 1 has dh's eyes exactly, 1 has the darker cloudy eyes like mine and 2 have a shade of blue that falls somewhere between the two.
January 4th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
We are the united nations, and my kids are all over the place. My hubby is blond (darkened as he aged) and blue eyes, He is also half Apache and half Scottish. I am Dark brown hair and brown eye's and am German, Jewish and Spanish. Compared to most of my siblings I am dark, they are all blond haired and blue eyed. My kids are the range of all of our nationalities.

#1 pale, blue eyed and dark brown hair
#2 dark blond, pale and brown eyed
#3 light brown hair, brown eyed and very dark complected.
#4 pale, dark blond and blue eyed
#5 dark blond, fair complexion and very blue eyes
#6 dark brown, dark complexion and some strange eye color..not really blue/hazel/green just strange but they are pale.
#7 dark blond, very white complexion and very blue eyes.
#8 brown hair, brown eyes and a medium complexion.

There is no telling what will come out in my kids.
January 4th, 2011, 07:37 AM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My Dh has blue eyes and black hair and I have brown eyes and brown hair

DD#1 Has brown eyes and brown hair
DD#2 Has brown eyes and brown hair
DS #1 Has Brown eyes and brown hair
DD#3 Has blond hair and gray green eyes
DS#2 has blond hair and brown eyes

January 4th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Veteran
Yeah...

Xander has dark blue eyes and strawberry blonde hair
Lily has blue eyes and blonde hair
Caleb has light blue eyes and strawberry blonde/copper red hair
Quinn has brown/hazel/green (who knows, definitely not blue) eyes and brown hair.

They are fair skinned... Xander's beginning to freckle on his nose (hubby has heaps of freckles) only Quinn looks a little different skinned on account of his brown hair, but could be taking after my sister and dad with olive skin.
Caleb Orion b. 10th October 2008
Quinn Gilead b. 19th August 2010

January 4th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The kids all look more like DH ...Nolan has a little of me/my side in him through the eyes.

Dh and I both have brown hair and brown eyes and similar coloring so we never expected our oldest to have BLUE eyes! And we're a little surprised at how long the other two are staying blonde as we both had brown hair by the time we were 9.
January 4th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I can't really tell you about my siblings and parents, other than that, we're all so different hair and eyes wise, but look alike.

That's the same as with my kids. None of the have the same hair or eye color, but they all look alike. it's crazy weird.

January 4th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
my mom: Dark Dark Brown hair, Brown eyes (used to be dark as she got older they have turned into a "copper" type color and have dark brown "freckles" in them...they look like fish eyes...)
my dad: Red hair, Green/brown eyes (they change)

My sister: Dark Dark Brown hair, Brown eyes
Me: Chestnut brown hair, green/brown eyes that used to change and have halted at both LOL (brown around the pupil and green around that)

Hubs Mom: Dark Blond hair not sure on eyes (blue??)
Hubs Dad: Dark hair (it's gray now not sure what it was) and eyes blue???? not sure

Hubster: strawberry Blond, grey/blue eyes

Kiddos: 1st: blond hair (will be dark blond as an adult I predict) with chocolate brown eyes
2nd: blond (will be brown as an adult I predict) with mine and my dad's eyes
3rd: Red Hair, Blue eyes
4th: Light Red (darker than strawberry but lighter than red LOL), blue eyes for now but they seem to be changing into mine and my dad's eyes.

Dh and I both have pale pale skin...dh freckled and I have freckles/moles....all our kids are pale except our 2nd (DS) he has darker skin...still pale compared to most but he tans very nicely in the summer....the older two get moles...the third is freckled and the fourth is too little to tell yet....my third didn't get freckles until 3/4.

LOL...so there ya have it

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
January 4th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Veteran
Hubby has blonde hair (has gotten a little darker as he's gotten older but not much), blue eyes and I have dark hair and hazel eyes. Hubby's hair is wavy and mine is curly.

DS #1 - Blonde and curly and Blue eyes
DS #2 - Blonde and pin straight and Blue eyes
DD #1 - Blonde and wavy and Blue eyes
DS #3 - Blonde and pin straight and Blue eyes
DD #2 - Dark and very curly and blueish grey eyes
DD #3 - Blonde (not sure if it'll be straight or curly yet. She doesn't have much) with some strawberry tint to it and blue eyes.

So far all the kiddos have their daddy's eye color and only 1 has ended up with my dark hair. I'm thinking her eyes will be darker than the other 5 kiddos as well. Some days they look blue and other days they look almost green.
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
January 5th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have dark hair and brown eyes. My husband's hair has changed colors a lot growing up. It's been blonde, red, light brown, and now it's dark brown. He has blue/green eyes.
Our oldest daughter and oldest son look a like (dark hair, dark eyes) and our younger daughter and younger son look a like (light hair, blue eyes).
I am excited to see which combo the new baby will have.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search