Giving Up Our Bedroom??

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Veteran
Our house is tiny, 3 beds, 1 bath and only about 900 sq. feet. The sleeping arrangements we have right now are just not working out and the entire house feels cramped and cluttered. There's only so much I can get rid of without getting rid of everything we need! Putting an addition on just isn't an option. Our home belongs to my Aunt and Uncle and they will never okay something like that. Using the basement as another room isn't an option either because it gets a lot of water in it. Right now we have our 15 year old sleeping in the entry way and that's where most of the problem comes in. Between his futon, dresser and everyone's coats, hats, gloves, boots, ect. being put in the same room, it's overly cramped. Hubby and I are considering giving up our bedroom and moving him in there. We really don't want to move him back in with his younger brothers', but at the same time we don't want to give up our privacy either.

Has anyone ever done this before and how has it worked out or am I the only crazy person to think of doing this?
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
January 5th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
Is there a way to fix the water problem in the basement? I couldn't imagine giving up my bedroom.....

January 5th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Where would you sleep if you gave up your bedroom?

that is tricky with your kids ages and genders but what about the idea of putting the two oldest boys in one room, and having your 8 yo daughter and 4 yo son sharing a room and have the baby and 2 yo in your room with you.
I know my 8yo daughter wouldn't like sharing with her 4yo brother, but if you put up some sort of room divider it might not be to bad.
January 5th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
There are ways to fix your basement yourself. At home depot you can find already mixed mortor for patching cracks on basement walls- it doesn't even have to be dry walls, it can go on a currently leaking crack. Then after it dries/hardens there is special paint you can get to go over that blocks moisure from getting through. It comes in gaurenteed 5, 10, 15 and 20 year grades.

Finishing your basement will do wonders for your house. We only have a 1300 Rancher house but a totally finished basement so our house feels a lot bigger than it is. We have two bedrooms, bathroom, large familyroom, computer room, weight room, and storage room down here.
January 5th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So now that we are all jealous of AJ, let's move on. I don't know how old and what all you have, so I have nothing to add to this discussion but to say that we are in the same boat.
January 5th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Veteran
So glad to know I'm not alone!

I think we'll be taking a trip to Home Depot to see about this paint!! I'd love to not be getting water in my basement any longer and possibly be able to move my oldest down there along with making part of it into a toy room!

Danielle - Hubby and I would purchase a fold out sofa and move ourselves to the living room. We would then give our dresser to the boys' and convert one of the large computer desks we have into a dresser/closet. My thinking is....if I'd move 2 of the kiddos in with hubby and I anyway, then I might as well give my 15 yr. old his room, keep my 9 and 4 year old boys together and put the 3 girls in the biggest bedroom we have.

If there was another place to stick all the coats, shoes, boots, hats, ect....then it probably wouldn't be such a problem. Other than the fact that everyone has to walk through my sons bedroom to get inside the house!
January 5th, 2011, 11:49 AM
MIL2lissy8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
one thought to add to the mix: when i needed a 'closet' for aroom that did not have one, i bought a rolling laundry hanger and used that for a closet. it has a shelf on the bottom and one above the hanging part. it worked fine for what it was nee4ded for. that might help with the hanging up of coats etc if you put it in a different locale than the entry way.

also, at one point i lived in a similarly small house with my 4 kids and three rooms. what i did was put all 3 boys in the master, and gave my daughter one of the remaining bedrooms and i took the smallest room for me. ok, it sucked but it worked.

~~terre~~
January 5th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The paint and morter are not expensive! And it works! You can do it! I also use a carpet system for most of the rooms down here called Legato...http://www.millikencarpet.com/Americ...s/default.aspx

One day I came home to find our watertank had exploded and it was flooding our basement. I was able to set up all the carpet tiles to dry and put them all back down mildew-free. Same thing when our kitchen sink pipe busted and flooded through the floor to the basement. In the summer you can hose them off and let them dry in the sun for easy cleaning.

Or you can use peel and stick vinyl tiles sold at home depot or lowes. Super easy to put down.
January 5th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is your basement cement? We paid $1k last year to have a basement company come and inject stuff to fill any cracks, that thing was watertight afterwards.

I did seriously consider putting the four kids in our bedroom, and we'd take one of the kids' rooms-but we're gonna finish the basement this spring instead
January 5th, 2011, 10:24 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
We were in the same sort of situation but no basement to finish (renting an apartment). We had a double loft bed with 2 twin beds under it in one room and a bunk bed and toddler bed in another room. That gave us 7 beds and I would still find the kids sleeping together. I bet your ds would like just having his own space, even if it means sharing a room, rather than it being everyone's space. I had a loft bed growing up and had shelves up high for my stuff. I loved it up there.

If you could waterproof the basement, that would really give you a lot more space. I hope someone can help at one of the hardware stores.

Oh, I was going to say, if you have an IKEA near by, they have tons of ideas on maximizing space, including ways to divide up a room.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page

Last edited by 8miraclez; January 5th, 2011 at 10:27 PM.
January 6th, 2011, 07:03 AM
I was thinking, how about putting all the kids but the 15 yo in the biggest room, the 15 yo in one room and you and dh in the other? Then, use the 15yos room for extra storage or dressers or whatever for the other kids. There is no reason for him to move out when he is grown if you make it too nice for them now.

This is actually our plan if we have more babies. The 3 oldest/girls in one kid room, me and the farmer in the other kid room, and the 6 youngest in the master room. After that, the older ones will start to move out, but I am also approaching menopause so it may not matter.
January 6th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
IKEA is a great idea! My two little guys share the smallest room and the 5 year old has a shorter style loft bed from there. All their toys (Little People etc.) are under it and it's the perfect spot for them to play. It makes their room look a lot bigger than it is.

If you follow Farmers-wife advice and the 9 and 8 year olds don't like sharing...IKEA also has wood paneled room dividers. Maybe you could somehow split the master room in half? Or you could do a curtain divider using this... IKEA | Curtain rods & rails | Curtain wires | DEKA | Curtain wire incl. clips I noticed they had all kinds of panels to pick from for it.
January 6th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't read all responses....but for me...regardless of age...boys in one room, girls in another....even if the boys are spaced out....wouldn't matter to me....

That's me though....

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
January 10th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Veteran
Well.....We have decided giving up our bedroom is really the only option. After thinking about it some more, putting money into this house really isn't smart. It doesn't belong to us and if we would ever move then we would be out a huge chunk of money.

The idea of putting everyone, except Danny into the same room was a great idea until I found out that once different gender siblings are in school they must be in seperate rooms and all children must have their own beds.

So.....We are going to give Danny (my 15 year old) the smallest bedroom, the 3 girls' the master bedroom and the 2 other boys the middle sized room (our bedroom now). Then hubby wants to get a sleeper sofa, sleeper love seat and then a sleeper chair so we have extra sleeping space when someone is sick or we have company. Moving my 15 year old will free up the entry way that we will be able to use for home school supplies and bookshelves that are now cluttering up my kitchen.

As much as I hate the thought of giving up my bedroom, it's the only way that'll work. We thought about putting the 3 boys together, but the middle bedroom isn't big enough for them. As it is, the 2 boys are going to be cramped in there. We would have the same exact problem if we put the 3 girls in the middle sized bedroom.....Maybe one day I'll actually be able to afford a bigger house!
January 10th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofKiddos View Post
The idea of putting everyone, except Danny into the same room was a great idea until I found out that once different gender siblings are in school they must be in seperate rooms and all children must have their own beds.
I don't understand this. Whose rules are these? Since you homeschool, who cares?
January 10th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Veteran
FW - It's the state's rule. My 15 year old is the only one in Public School and because I didn't have absent notes into the school within 10 days the school district called Child Welfare on us. Around the same time I found out we were expecting baby #6 and my Aunt (who we rent from) told me that we'd have to move because Child Welfare would never allow there to be 8 people in a 3 bedroom home. When the caseworker did our home visit I asked her about this. Obviously it wasn't true, but she did tell me that the different gender siblings had to be in seperate rooms and all children must have their own beds. It's a silly rule, but....at the same time I understand their reasoning for it.
January 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I am double checking this. My cousin is a social worker in Pittsburgh. Maybe she can explain this.
January 11th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Veteran
Thank you FW! If the caseworker was wrong.....this would be good news for a lot of people!!
January 11th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
Quote:
This is true in most states, but is only ever reinforced when there are foster/placement children involved. As a rule nobody really cares and most won't know unless it is advertised.
January 11th, 2011, 06:54 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would do boys in one room girls in the other. they make a bunk bed for 3 where the to top bunks are lofts and then there is one below that would free up floor space for them. I would trade rooms with the dc if space became a problem but I would not give up having a bedroom. Adults need the privacy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search