Finished Basement

Forum: Large Families

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
Alison - did you do it yourself? Any ballparks as to what it cost you?

Anyone else have advice/info?

I am so old my fantasies are about a finished basement with two bedrooms and a playroom and a family closet by the washer and dryer.......*sigh*...............
Jessica , Wife to Rich
Mom to DD - 16 DS - 12 DD - 8 DD - 6

January 5th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Mine are too! You aren't alone! A family closet would sooo free up space in the bedrooms!!
Becky, Wife to Dan and Momma to
Danny (15), Andrew (9), Lizzie (8), Matthew and Sarah
our Twin Angel Babies taken home to be with Jesus on 11/7/03, Joshy (4), Gracie (2),
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
January 5th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The basement was already considered finished but it was not done well so we gutted and started over with much of it. We didn't have to run new electrical or plumbing which is where we saved money. Sheetrock and basement grade 2X4's are not expensive. The most expensive thing is time ...especially with little kids. Bedrooms are super easy! There's so much online- tutorials, DIY videos etc. which is where we learned what we needed and how. I admit ceilings are a little tricky- recessed lighting etc. But we did it so anyone can.

The most recent was finishing my oldest son's room. It involved only putting up two walls and one door. The total cost was around $400 for sheetrock, 2X4's, molding, door, doorknob, paint, and carpet. The carpet was only $100 because I found some peel and stick carpet tiles on sale for $1 each on amazon.
January 5th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
prices are prolly way off up here but we did our basement in the last house:

700 sq ft approx, two bedrooms and a bathroom. The only things we paid for were mudding and taping, trim, and carpet, the rest was done with friends or family. Our total cost was $11K. I have friends next door who did an 1100 sq ft basement with two bedrooms, a den and a bathroom with all paid trades for $60K

We're planning on doing this basement, approx 1100sq ft for about $15K, again paying for flooring, mudding and taping, and trim

Lucky mother to five!

January 5th, 2011, 05:14 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We finished our own basement and I have no idea how much it cost.

My dh did all of it himself. But he is a contractor on the side - so it was easy for him.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

January 5th, 2011, 07:45 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
I have been working on the boys room in the basement, but there is still a lot to do for the most part.
In the storage area I am going to be making some rough but functional shelving units for storing stuff and better organization.

In their bedroom...I was bored as heck in a meeting and drew up plans for a unit that I will be making once the storage area is complete; things will likely start once tax season is over since that's when it'll be most affordable.

My ex is coming up to a year of not paying child support for the 4 kids, so money is carefully checked & balanced for only what is most important for now.

My idea (in rough drawing) is this:

January 6th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow, great storage system!

Lucky mother to five!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search