Did you ever ask for a sign? (religion ment)

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Super Mommy
Dh and I are at the point where we need to decide if we are done having children. Neither of us is very religious. We don't attend a church, but we do believe in God.

It's been on my mind a lot the past few weeks. I quietly asked God for a sign to help us reach this decision. I have never asked God for a sign before.

A few hours later I was at the grocery store. A woman, who had to be in her 70's, came up to my cart to look at the twins. She asked me, "Are you going to have any more children?" I told her, "I'm not sure. The twins are numbers 5 & 6."

I braced myself. I've had some not too nice comments, lol, regarding having 6 kids.

This is how she responded: "Honey, have more if you can. My husband and I regret not having more children." and like that, she turned and walked off.

Okay....was that my sign, lol? It just as well could be a stranger who, a week from now, is going to tell me that we have too many children......

Mom to Ashley, Jacob, Joe, Jace and missing Jaren, born still on 6/11/09

excited to welcome our girls born 4/30/2010 !!!

January 8th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just got pg naturally, we're infertile. Apparently I got my sign....

Marie's five kids are now 7,5,4,4 &2!
January 9th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is a sign when it agrees with what you really want. If you and your husband want to continue having kids, go for it! The Bible says children are a gift of the Lord. Only He can open and close the womb. So, if you want more, but aren't sure if you should, go about your life with your husband the Lord will send a baby when He sees fit. That is how we do it.
January 9th, 2011, 08:27 AM
ImustBeNuts06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow...I would take that as a sign! I really do believe that he talks to us through everyday events.

If you and DH really want to have another baby, go for it. Don't listen to people's negative comments....they aren't raising your kids!

January 9th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieJ View Post
I just got pg naturally, we're infertile. Apparently I got my sign....
Congratulations, that is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmers-wife View Post
It is a sign when it agrees with what you really want. If you and your husband want to continue having kids, go for it! The Bible says children are a gift of the Lord. Only He can open and close the womb. So, if you want more, but aren't sure if you should, go about your life with your husband the Lord will send a baby when He sees fit. That is how we do it.
That's what I was wondering....was I looking for something I want to hear in the words of the stranger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImustBeNuts06 View Post
Wow...I would take that as a sign! I really do believe that he talks to us through everyday events.

If you and DH really want to have another baby, go for it. Don't listen to people's negative comments....they aren't raising your kids!
lol, no kidding! We don't have help from our family, we do it 100% on our own. It was strange....in the past 8 months I have heard "Are you nuts? Boy, you sure are busy! Why so many? Thank goodness it's you and not me! Are you Mormon or Catholic? Are they all from the same Dad? (that one cracked me up) Don't you know you are depleting our earth's resources? (Dh heard this from a guy at work!!!)" but never "Are you going to have more?"

January 9th, 2011, 09:54 AM
ImustBeNuts06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I've heard many of those comments as well. It's sad the way most people view large families. However, the few positive comments I hear every now and then make those negative comments not seem that important. Not like they really should be, but it is really annoying. A nurse in the hospital asked me if I was going to go for #6, I told her no. She said, "oh come on...six is a good even number." I don't hear that very often! We would without doubt have more children, but we really can not afford another child. So that sort of made our decision for us. Unless God decides to have us win the lottery before DH's vasectomy in a couple months.

I wish you the best of luck in coming up with your decision. Do not let anyone persuade you either way. Follow your heart, and you won't lose!

January 9th, 2011, 10:03 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We will never be officially done (as in, doing something permanent) until menopause. That doesn't mean we don't TTA, we are right now. But the door is always open to talk about it again, to keep re-evaluating it periodically, to keep praying about it. For us, there is no need to decide RIGHT NOW how to use our fertility in the coming years. We just decide cycle by cycle, depending on how we're managing with the ones we already have.
January 9th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
(sorry this is so long!)

We don't go to church etc. either. I had a similar experience about 3 months ago and it's thrown me for a loop.

I had a bad "mommy" week and one night I broke down crying to dh because being a SAHM I'm never rewarded with "you're a good mom!" or "wow, you do a great job!".

A few days later I'm at the mall with 3 of my kids at a pretzel place and I'm letting them pick out what they want to share. My 5 year old couldn't decide so I let the people behind us go ahead so he could think some more. A lady gets her pretzel then turns to me and says "You're a good mom"....I said a few chit chat things back to her and then she said "I just wanted you to know, you're a good mom" then she walked away. Every hair on my body stood up. How can that be a coinsidence? How often does a random stranger say that? I get teary every time I think about.
January 9th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allisonjuly View Post
(sorry this is so long!)

We don't go to church etc. either. I had a similar experience about 3 months ago and it's thrown me for a loop.

I had a bad "mommy" week and one night I broke down crying to dh because being a SAHM I'm never rewarded with "you're a good mom!" or "wow, you do a great job!".

A few days later I'm at the mall with 3 of my kids at a pretzel place and I'm letting them pick out what they want to share. My 5 year old couldn't decide so I let the people behind us go ahead so he could think some more. A lady gets her pretzel then turns to me and says "You're a good mom"....I said a few chit chat things back to her and then she said "I just wanted you to know, you're a good mom" then she walked away. Every hair on my body stood up. How can that be a coinsidence? How often does a random stranger say that? I get teary every time I think about.
Ohhh....that gave me chills!!!

January 9th, 2011, 12:59 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Why do you need to decide right now?
January 9th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
lol, I don't consider someone telling me to have another a sign from God at all, because people say that to us all the time (or to try for a boy) but that is just us.

You will find a sign if you look for one, but I think they more in tune you are with God the more likely you will be to find what His will for your life is. I also believe that children are a gift from God but am very confortable haven gotten my tubes tied, I don't feel like I've gone against Him.

Anyways, I like that you got a nice comment for a change

But as previous poster mentioned, you don't have to decide right now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search