2 year olds and speech?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Veteran
I'm throwing this question out here, on this particular forum, because I find it quite interesting.

My 27 month old son Caleb can speak almost as well as his sister, who is a year older. But then Lily was 12 weeks early.

And he was saying more than just Mum and Dad by 14 months old.

For example, he can clearly say 3 word sentences like "I want drink".

Anyone else have a similar situation?

Sometimes I actually forget how young he is. As he's been doing this for about 6 months if not longer.

Compared to when Lily and Xander were his age he seems rather advanced.
Caleb Orion b. 10th October 2008
Quinn Gilead b. 19th August 2010

January 14th, 2011, 07:04 AM
erjo's Avatar Veteran
My daughter is 20 months and she sounds similar to how you describe your son. She strings words together (sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it doesn't) and knows a LOT of words.

I think it's fascinating how different kids develop so differently.

My oldest son and my nephew are two weeks apart in age, and Ryan was a lot like Gracie-- talking early. My sister was all worried about AJ b/c he wasn't talking as much as Ryan, but by the time they were 3 you couldn't even tell the difference. And certainly now there's no real difference between their speech. Of course, Ryan knows a lot of random words most kids his age don't know, because he's a book nerd.

My husband knows like five ancient languages in addition to English, and I have my degree in English ed, so I figure our kids have a pretty good chance of being good with languages. Math, now? Yeah. Not so much.

[/CENTER]
January 14th, 2011, 07:06 AM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My oldest was speaking in sentences at 9 months and hasn't been quiet since. Each of my kids has started talking in their own time be it early or late.

January 14th, 2011, 09:37 AM
ImustBeNuts06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first child (girl) was speaking full sentences and singing songs by the time she turned one. Then my second child (boy) had MAJOR speech delays. The speech pathologist said she had never seen the sort of delays he had (major issues with tongue and lips) and that he would never have out grown his problem. My youngest (also a boy) has the same problems as his older brother and is currently in therapy. I have found that people (including DH and myself) viewed my daughter older than she was/is, because of her advanced speech and vocab. I have also noticed us treating the boys with the delays as if they were younger. We make an effort not to now.

January 14th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
None of our kiddos speak early. Our 2nd daughter also had MAJOR speech delays and had speech therapy for 3 years. Our 4th daughter started speech in December for pretty major delays as well. It seems to be something in our family.
But both of these kiddos are girls and all the boys seem to be developing speech much more normal (boys are 5, 3,2, and 1).

January 14th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Mom to 8 amazing kids
My oldest had severe speech delays along with comprehension issues, he still does and didn't string words together until he was 5. Every other kid started talking around 2 and they went from 1-2 words to full fledged speech, I also had to remind myself that they were younger, didn't help that they were also big for their size. The only exception was #7 who spoke a 19 months, he apparently had more to say then the others and even now he is one hack of a story teller. My youngest is 14 months and can say momma, dada, mine and no , but beyond that nothing. it will be interesting to see where she ends up on the list of "norm" for my other kids.
January 14th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our 6th child talked really clearly and pretty early. She was easier to understand than her sis who was 14 mos older. My 2 year old is easier to understand than my nephew who is a few months older. I think it just depends on the child.
January 14th, 2011, 05:42 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My boys are 15 months apart and are almost on the same language with speech development because my older DS has a speech delay. He understands a lot more language than my younger DS because his comprehension is not delayed but as far as understanding what they are saying they are almost at the same level.

[

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search