How much is left each month?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2011, 07:33 AM
Veteran
Of your income??

We are considering moving! It's a big decision because we currently live in a home that belongs to one of my family members and we pay for only our utilities here. But....living here has proven more trouble then it's worth. Besides the space issues, there are some major personal issues as well. These personal issues with my family member are beginning to flow over into my marriage and my relationship with my children as well. The issue I'm having is, if we move, we will not be able to find any home for less than $1000 a month plus utilities and after figuring out our bills, we would be in the red.

So, I'm wondering....how much of your income is left when you are done at the end of the month? We lived in the red before and that's how we ended up losing our home to foreclosure and ending up living here. I just don't want to put my kids through that again. I guess I'm asking 2 questions....What would you do?

Thanks Ladies!!
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
January 21st, 2011, 08:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We personally would never live in the red. We live with in our means and I believe that is how it should be. Sorry but if it were us we would find a way to live with in our means.

January 21st, 2011, 08:54 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Amber. But that being said, you really need to explore your options. You never know what you are going to find out there, especially now when more and more people are having to make changes. I would definitely being looking. Free is usually too expensive.

We break even. No savings, but no debt, either. I guess we aren't promised more than that!
January 21st, 2011, 09:29 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
We've had our share of hard times in our early days, but we're blessed not to worry about money now.

Just look around. You never know what you might find. I know it's hard because I've been there, but usually there is a way to make it work.

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)
January 21st, 2011, 09:45 AM
Veteran
Thank you for the reminder FW!! You are right, we are not promised any more than what's needed to survive!!

I started looking around already and was surprised to find that there is a lot more rental properties than I initally thought and many for a lot cheaper than I had seen in our newspaper. One of our biggest obsticles is staying in the area that we need to stay in. My hubby is a tow truck driver and if we move too far away from his job then he won't be able to be one of on call guys which would cut our income drastically. I'm hoping Hubby is willing to go look at a few places this weekend!!

Thanks everyone!!
January 21st, 2011, 10:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No matter how much money anyone has they always want more I forever charish the days when I bought 26 cent pasta and kept the dream "if dh could make $2K a month we would be great!" in my head. That memory keeps in in check with reality when I tend to forget.

From the sound of your current house (water in basement and entry area structure problems) I don't think you suffer from need of a reality check therefore I KNOW there is a place out there for you that is cheap but sound...with 1960's wallpaper and shag carpet throughout

Happy Hunting!!!
January 21st, 2011, 10:36 AM
Veteran
I used to think the same way! lol $2k and we'd all be okay! Now that he makes a little more than that, well....I'm sure you know how the story goes! And I'd gladly take 1960's wallpaper and shag carpet over water, mold and now structure issues
January 21st, 2011, 11:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry I"m late, but wanted to wish you the best of luck looking! If you can be a little patient, you don't know what you could find. My advice is take out an ad in the paper stating what you are looking for. Someone may have a rental sitting that they would compromise on and it keeps things competitive for you. Everyone looks in the papers, but few ask for rentals.

Good luck!

January 21st, 2011, 11:29 AM
Veteran
That's a great idea Mari!!! I'll have to mention that to the Hubs tonight!! And thank you for the good luck wishes I'm sure we'll run into at least some difficulty, having 6 kiddos and dog isn't going to work out all that great for us.
January 21st, 2011, 12:52 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ask about the dog up front. Don't mention the kids. They can deny you for a dog, but not kids. So, if you get the go ahead for a dog, the kids won't matter. My dad has a ton of rentals. He always said he would rather an adult dog than a bunch of kids. So if the landlord says ok to the dog, when you spring the kids on him, he can't say anything because of laws.
January 21st, 2011, 01:06 PM
FruitLoopLace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to FruitLoopLace Send a message via Yahoo to FruitLoopLace
I just wanted to say GL! And I dont have anything left usually, I am trying to get out of the "Rob Peter to Pay Paul" Problem. We are okay till Dec of every yr, we did better this yr, but still we are going backwards. Its the overtime we get used to in the summer I think. I know how hard it to find what you think you need and then get what you actually can afford. We will be doing the the same move I HOPE this summer!

Thank You Ashypoo03 for my Beautiful Siggy
January 21st, 2011, 07:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This reminds me of when we rented out our house. During the screening process it dawned on me one day that our property manager didn't like kids! We kept saying to list it as a 4 bedroom with pets okay and he kept saying "no, the basement bedroom can't count" ??? and couples kept looking and saying it was too much house and finally the PM says he's got a family interested but they have 2 kids as if the kids are a downer ??? That's when we started doing our own advertising.

The crazy thing is that we ended up going with a couple...no kids and one small dog. Three years later we return to a trashed house and find out there were 6 adults living here and numerous pets- pet damage EVERYWHERE! It was a party house! Probably the worst thing I cleaned up was tequila puke off a bathroom wall.

Yeah, family with kids and a dog. No problem
January 22nd, 2011, 11:23 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
good luck with everything. We don't live in the red but its tight some months

January 22nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck finding something that works for you guys

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search