traveling-- on a budget-- with three kids--

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
erjo's Avatar Veteran
We're planning a trip in May as a family, before the baby comes or I'm too huge to enjoy it. LOL.

So our current plan is to visit Kansas City, which is a few hours from us. Our kids have never been there and Art and I have only been there once, so I figure we should have plenty of things to do. The thing is, we won't have a ton of money to spend.

Our plan is to get a hotel with at least a microwave/refrigerator and a continental breakfast so that we can have breakfast and lunch at the hotel every day. Eating out gets so expensive. We'd love to figure something out so we're not eating dinner out every night, but with only a microwave our options are limited. I've looked but so far not found much in the way of true kitchens in any of the hotels we can afford-- with a stove and stuff.

Anyway, we're pretty good at finding fun, cheap stuff to do, but I'd love some suggestions on how to do this on the cheap. The last time we stayed in a hotel we only had two kids, and it seems like so much of everything is geared toward a family of four. It makes it complicated. Are there other options besides hotels we should consider? Good ways you know of saving money? Tips? Suggestions?

[/CENTER]
January 23rd, 2011, 03:14 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I usually google sites with "what to do with kids in x", they often have lots of free cool things to do with little kids, or discount coupons, or things you might never have thought of. What about camping? Camping World (I think that's the one we used), has these trips where you relocate their motorhomes, you pay $15 a night with unlimited mileage, and a huge amount of time to move one of their units, then find cheap camping, or even KOA resort style camping, which is always cheaper than hotels. We did a motorhome rental for California this May, it was so much cheaper for us than to get two rooms, or squeeze us all plus two pnp's into a room. We were just looking at a relocation from LA to Vegas, $15 a night, and we had 21 days to make the 1 day drive--but we chose Mexico instead.
Just an idea. Buy your own groceries, Walmart it a few nights, kids love it!
January 23rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dh has tons of experience cooking in hotels. Do you have an electric skillet? That broadens your dinner options a lot. Or a mini grill, you can sit outside and grill up burgers for a fraction of the cost compared to a resturant.
January 25th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
We're renting a condo on our next vaca. I couldn't find any regular hotel rooms that allow more than two kids and suites are expensive. The other benefit is we can cook some dinners besides just breakfast and lunch.

I also looked up a website called mykidseatfree.com I was able to look up specials in the area so I know on certain days they have deals where the kids can eat free.

January 25th, 2011, 06:32 AM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjo View Post
We're planning a trip in May as a family, before the baby comes or I'm too huge to enjoy it. LOL.

So our current plan is to visit Kansas City, which is a few hours from us. Our kids have never been there and Art and I have only been there once, so I figure we should have plenty of things to do. The thing is, we won't have a ton of money to spend.

Our plan is to get a hotel with at least a microwave/refrigerator and a continental breakfast so that we can have breakfast and lunch at the hotel every day. Eating out gets so expensive. We'd love to figure something out so we're not eating dinner out every night, but with only a microwave our options are limited. I've looked but so far not found much in the way of true kitchens in any of the hotels we can afford-- with a stove and stuff.

Anyway, we're pretty good at finding fun, cheap stuff to do, but I'd love some suggestions on how to do this on the cheap. The last time we stayed in a hotel we only had two kids, and it seems like so much of everything is geared toward a family of four. It makes it complicated. Are there other options besides hotels we should consider? Good ways you know of saving money? Tips? Suggestions?
We are only a couple hours from KC and go pretty often but we always stay with friends unless it's a date weekend then we always end up with an expensive hotel. Sorry I couldn't be more help

January 25th, 2011, 12:12 PM
momofemnry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Vacation what that? Just kidding. WE really don't go but did just go to Disney. We saved for two years and we watched the internet for deals.
January 25th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The best thing I've found is something you've already mentioned. We only stay at places like Holiday Inn where there's a free breakfast downstairs in the morning. This has always been great for us because we totally stuff ourselves Some of these places have only had coffee, juice, muffins, and donuts. But sometimes we luck out and get a place that has a full breakfast with eggs, french toast etc.
January 26th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Look up extended stay hotels.. they usually have kitchens with a stove and a microwave. Bring a griddle or electric skillet and make your own pancakes/bacon for breakfast and then use it to make something for lunch and dinner. You can order a pizza and bring it back to your hotel room.. pizza goes far and that way you aren't paying for drinks and tip. Or get fried chicken from a grocery store deli and bring it back to your room and buy chips or some side from the deli (usually cheaper than going to KFC). Bring a cooler and buy stuff for sandwiches for lunch.

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

January 26th, 2011, 11:12 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have generally stayed in an Embassy suites or Sheraton Suites where we go. It costs about $150 per night but includes a full breakfast. (Omelets made to order, bacon, sausage, drinks, etc) You can get a two bed suite and then the couch pulls out too. It sleeps six but they always try to say we are more than are allowed to be in the room. I always "forget" to tell them about 2 kids. It is cheaper for us to spend that much on one room, rather than have to get two rooms and then buy breakfast too.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

January 26th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah...we usually wait in car when dh checks in and no one ever says anything about the number of us when we go to the room. I always scout out hotels with pools before the driving trips because it's best to let them swim their energy out so they're quiet when we're in the room LOL ...that way no one complains about the number of people.
January 26th, 2011, 05:42 PM
erjo's Avatar Veteran
Sounds like I'm on the right track. I found a hotel with a one-bedroom suite (two double beds in the bedroom and a hideaway in the living area) and a full kitchen for $130/night. Seems pretty reasonable-- it has a continental breakfast and a pool, too. I want the pool to give the boys something to do while Gracie naps in the afternoon.

I'm going to keep an eye on prices, and once I have money in hand I'll call the hotel and see if they can make me a better offer. LOL.

Thanks for the tip on that kids eat free website. That would be really helpful-- we're planning on breakfast and lunch at the hotel but it would be nice to have some restaurants available for dinners.

[/CENTER]
January 26th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know they cringe when they see us pulling up for the free breakfasts, lol! And I've only got four, but the twins eat like adults

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search