Laminate Flooring?

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2011, 01:37 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know I don't post here often (because I'm not a large family yet) but I figured you all have lots of little kids and might have some helpful input on this subject. I'm wondering if any of you have experience with laminate flooring especially with little kids/pets (ie potty accidents & drink spills etc).

We have carpet in our living room and it is getting really worn plus I hate that when stuff gets spilled on it I know it is never fully clean and shudder to think of all the dirty and junk that is down in the fibers and having little kids playing on it so I've been looking into getting laminate flooring for the living room. Plus we'll probably be selling this house in 2 years and I think it would help the resale value of the house (especially since our carpet isn't not in great condition anymore)

So if you've had experience with it please tell me the pros and cons. What type you have, what color is best (light, dark, medium) and I guess anything that you wish you had known that would be helpful as we try to decide if we should put some tax money toward this project.

Thanks

[
January 25th, 2011, 03:46 PM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have laminate in the bedrooms and love it. We put it in the living room and hate it. It scratches so easily (and we didn't buy the cheap stuff, either!). We didn't get dark flooring as we knew from friends' experiences that it would show everything. Looking back if I had to do it over again I would have gone as light as I possibly could rather than the medium oak we went with. Or I would have gone with real wood floors (although we plan to stay in our house indefinitely rather than sell it so it would be worth our investment).

We don't have issues with spills because the kids aren't allowed to eat/drink outside the kitchen/DR. Potty accidents haven't happened, either...I don't think.

If you really want laminate I'd say go for the best quality you can because even with the scratches we have (grrr) at least the floor still looks really great even after 2 years and a "few" kids, lol.

I should add that we do not have pets; that would really add to the wear and tear of the floor and I would actually go with tile rather than laminate in that case. In fact there is tile that looks for all the world like real wood - it is really neat! That may be an option for you...

Also missing 11 precious little ones here with us but for a moment.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.
January 25th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have laminate. Mohawk brand. I LOVE it. We have sopped up milk, blood, pee, poop, vomit, you name it. We have the kids, the dogs, and cats. I hate cats and they aren't really allowed in, but they get in once in a while anyway. Anyway, I LOVE it! We have carpet in the bedrooms and really wish we had not. We have sopped up pee and vomit there, too, and it isn't nearly the simple, happy task as on the laminate.
January 25th, 2011, 05:02 PM
ImustBeNuts06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have laminate in my kitchen/dining area and my family room. I believe it is Mohawk brand. I guess you would call it medium color??? I can post a pic. I like that it is easy to clean. I sweep or run my vaccum (without the roller bar) over it and then steam mop with a Shark...they look great after that. The only problem I have ever had was when we left for a day and our new dog had an accident near the back door. The seams sort of warped, but it isn't that noticable. Just get any liquid spills up as soon as possible to avoid that.

Here is some of the flooring in my family room......and the dog.

January 25th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have it in the dining room, entry and hallway. It was here when we moved in so I don't know the details. It does make life easier but like the pp said it seems to scratch easily. You can see mine in the background of this pic (hopefully).

Welcome to Facebook | Facebook
January 25th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
Look for sales on real wood. I've seen wood just as cheap as laminate.

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)
January 25th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I prefer the look and feel of real hardwood, but we've never had laminate.
January 25th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Veteran
We had laminate flooring in our old house and loved it. It did scratch easily though.
We currently live in a company house and have timber look lino in our family/dining/kitchen. It looks pretty similar to the laminate, but doesn't scratch. I assume it is cheaper as well. I'm looking at getting the carpet taken up in our lounge and getting the lino in there as well.
January 26th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
weve had ours 5 yrs and it needs to be replaced- scratched, dinged, and some of the seams have bubbled where kids spilled drinks and we did not catch it right that second. get real wood or tile instead.

January 26th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have lived in 5 different houses in the last 3 years. (gotta love the military). Each place has had different styles of flooring. I dont mind carpet at all anymore!! We have a steam cleaner so that helps a lot. What I hate is tile floors. Our whole downstairs in our house in Texas was tile and while I knew it would keep it cooler in the summer and I thought it would be easy to just wipe up spills, but the grout... got so dirty and nasty and a pain in the butt to clean!! I like hardwood floors but its hard for me to keep them shiny so I think a laminant would be a good alternative.
January 26th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm putting new flooring in next year, and now I'm still confused!

Isn't real wood more work though as far as refinishing and stuff, or is that no longer the case?
January 26th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had our hardwood for 5 years in our last house, and I did nothing with it. DH used to use that spray stuff from the builder to clean it, but the housecleaner used a steam mop thing and wiped it up right away, and it was fine. I loved it! In 5yrs with one dog and five of us, it was perfect We had a small dog, so scratching wasn't an issue. We kept felties under furniture legs, we had to take care of it, but it also looked good. In looking at buying a new house, we went through so many beautiful homes with cheap laminate that was scratched all to snot, it looked awful, we said we'd never do laminate, ever.

I had tile in my kitchen, they would crack as the house shifted (built new), the grout kept coming out, you could see everything on it. Plus everything that fell on it disintegrated.

I've got lino in my kitchen and bathrooms and carpet everywhere else in this house, I can't wait for the kids to wreck it all, and I'm putting hardwood in EVERYWHERE.
January 26th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have laminate flooring in the living room and I'll NEVER go back to carpet.. Spills, pee accidents, etc are easy to clean up. Do have to be careful about scratches though. And I sweep the floor numerous times a day because you can see the dust and dirt very easily.. but think about what's in the carpet you that you can't see!! When DH pulled up our carpet he took pictures of what was under the carpet (the kids and I stayed at my mom's that weekend since my oldest son and I have asthma and my other DS has breathing issues while DH and a buddy put the floor in) and OMG.. makes me want to go rip up the carpet in the bedrooms and put laminate in there as well because I'm scared to see what's under the carpets in there!!

Many Many Thanks to GraysMama (Chelsea) for my AMAZING Siggy!!!

January 26th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks for all the advice! If we do go with laminate floors I really want to get a steam mop (actually want to get one even if we don't just to use in the kitchen) So those of you that have steam cleaners what are your recommendations?

[
January 26th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got a Shark this past Christmas and I love it!
January 26th, 2011, 06:12 PM
ImustBeNuts06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm on my second Shark....love them. Second because I use that thing nearly daily.

January 27th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We had real hardwood in our last place and would not recommend it It dented, and scratched really easy. Plus it was almost to hard in a sense that it hurt my feet to stand on it, so I had to wear shoes on it. Which is odd because if it is so hard it hurts to stand on, how does it dent? I never figured it out. But we replaced it with laminate and loved it. I'll ask DH what brand it was, because it was good. Good luck Ruth!

January 27th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting our Blessings View Post
But we replaced it with laminate and loved it. I'll ask DH what brand it was, because it was good. Good luck Ruth!
That would be great! There are so many choices it is helpful to know what others have and like.

[
January 28th, 2011, 04:21 AM
momofemnry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have both hard woof and laminate and prefer the laminate.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search