Family Movie Night Suggestions

Forum: Large Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Large Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
We are doing weekly movie nights and have watched all the animated ones and are moving on to regular live action movies. Any ideas for a movie everyone would enjoy? What does your family like to watch together?

Tonight we are watching Lord of the Rings. Esme fell asleep but everyone else is enjoying it.

January 29th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The other night we watched that new Owl one...Guardians? It was predictable for dh and I but the graphics were really good so visually we enjoyed it. My 5 year old reeeeally got into it LOL
January 30th, 2011, 09:18 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have movie night every single week! My kids love it. We have popcorn and candy too. We have watched all the animated ones too and then we go "old school" sometimes too. A few of the ones I can think of are (non animated):

The Princess Bride
The Sorcerers Apprentice
Willow
Back to the Future
Enchanted
ET
Princess Diaries
Chronicles of Narnia
Sound of Music
The Ultimate Gift (little ones might not get the message in this movie but it's EXCELLENT!)
Akeelah and the Bee
Eight Below
Snow Dogs
Home Alone
Any Disney movie (Think old school - Pollyana, Old Yeller)
Elf
Bridge to Terabithia
Nims Island
American Girl Doll movies
Beezus and Ramona
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Muppet Movies
Santa Clause Movies
Furry Vengeance
Nanny McPhee and Nanny McPhee Returns

Whew. That's all I got for now.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

January 30th, 2011, 09:31 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LOVE the Nanny McPhees
I will add
Cheaper by the Dozen 1&2 with Steve Martin.
We have a ton of movies and do the same thing sometimes, with popcorn.
January 30th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Now I just have to decide - Back to the Future or Muppets next week

January 30th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Be forewarned, the Back to the Future ones have a lot of "sonovabich" in them. I don't mind too much for the older girls, but not for the littles, who tend to repeat everything they hear in movies for weeks. It is really too bad, too, because they are great stories. I was very disappointed about that. Other than that, everything on Shari's list is excellent. We also like musicals. Again, the thing about them is something the language or acting can be too mature for littles. But that being said, we like Westside Story, My Fair Lady, Jesus Christ Superstar. If you did LOTR, then you should be ok with all the Star Wars movies. We have both sets. I watched Forrest Gump on TV with my girls, clicking away during the 3 sex scenes. They also liked Men in Black, Hancock, Independence Day. We were on a Will Smith kick for a while. Again, language is my only issue.
January 30th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmm.. interesting about the language. My daughter is actually very uncomfortable around swearing but if that is as bad as it gets she would probably be ok.... thanks for the input though I really appreciate it!!

Interesting about FG too. My daughter asked me about that movie the other day and I forgot about it and never remembered the sex scenes, which also make her (and for that matter my son, and DH being in the room with the kids when one is on..) very uncomfortable. Maybe we'll postpone that one for now....

January 30th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think as adults we overlook the language and sex scenes. And we forget how bad they are until we are watching them with kids. I know it never bothered me before. And, sadly, never really noticed the language. Right now we are all watching Dr. Zhivago. I have gotten to explain the Russian revolution, adultery, and the frozen tundra. I should write this down as a homeschool lesson.
January 30th, 2011, 04:35 PM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you are concerned with language, in ET Elliot stands up and shouts at his brother "Shut up Pen!s breath". Not really bad but, probably not something you want the littles repeating.
January 31st, 2011, 02:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You can look up any movie on imdb and then click the Parental Advisory link to see how much sex is in it. I do this before watching any movies with my older two since they fall into such a vague category. PG-13 has reeeeeeally relaxed since when I was a kid!

The other day I asked my son about the MIB movies and he hasn't seen them. Thanks for the reminder to add them to our Netflix!
January 31st, 2011, 06:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Alison - thanks for the imdb tip. I randomly check that site out anyway and never noticed the parental advisory

January 31st, 2011, 10:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Friday night is movie night here. We have the 9 seasons of Little House on the Prairie and watch one on Friday night. Wholesome, no worries about sex, violence, or swearing . Those 9 seasons will take us about 3 years to get through, so that's great. We don't do much for another movies.

February 1st, 2011, 03:29 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just watched another favorite with my kids (again) but it's of a religious nature. Facing the Giants. I love that movie - and my kids like it too. Some of you may enjoy that one.

I do remember that about old PG movies - they do have some language I could do without. Sometimes I watch them first to see if there is anything I don't approve of.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search